New Catalina Owner

Dec 5, 2014
Catalina 22 Baltimore
trip map.jpg
1168 miles later, I am the new owner of a 1986 Catalina 22, Sail #13577. After about 6 months of looking, and several heartbreaking missed opportunities, I finally found the boat for me. I had been scanning the local classifieds for months until the end of last season. Once everyone in Maryland and the neighboring states had winterized for the season, I decided to expand my search area. I came across this one through a C-list posting in Greenville, SC. After several conversations with the owner, and multiple pictures, I was definitely interested. One owner boat prior to her, and she had only owned it for one season. She realized shortly after purchasing that the boat/cabin was too small for her family to enjoy so she was looking to upgrade to a C-25 or 27. It had been a fresh water boat all of its life which was a major plus for keel condition. There was only one major problem I could find with the boat. It had no trailer! I set out on my search and was able to find one just after the first of the year. Unfortunately, with every good deal comes the work needed to make it safe and street legal. With no garage space to use to work on the trailer, I ended up dodging snowstorm after snowstorm to try and get the trailer ready for inspection. One of my biggest challenges was the hydraulic break system. Big thanks to $tingySailor for the blog write-up and trailer part recommendations with the quick disconnect. At the end of March the trailer was finally road worthy.

4/11 Day one of the trip.
We left around 04:00 which put us in Seneca, SC right around 14:00. The trip down was great, no hassle or issues. The boat looked great, outside of a good cleaning and some TLC, it seemed sound. The furler headsail was just re-stitched and the main wasn’t too bad, probably another season or two. Standing rigging was in good order, but it does need some new lines. After about 6 attempts to get the boat on the trailer, I realized the benefits of a keel guide. Getting the keel exactly on the resting point was a PITA to say the least. After a good look at the bottom, the keel showed minimal spots of corrosion and only two small blisters (one the size of a nickel and the other was a dime). We agreed on a price and I was exhausted and happy. Now the pressure of de-rigging the boat in the morning.

4/12 Day two.
Neither I nor the prior owner had de-rigged the boat before. I’m sure it could have gone much better, but I’ll take the 3 hours for a first time. The boat was all ready to make the trip and secured on the trailer around 11:00. Optimistically this would have put us back in Maryland around 21:00. We made it out SC with no trouble at all. After stopping for a quick bite to eat and fuel in NC, we had our first issue. The driver side trailer tire blew out on the highway. I was able to control everything and bring it to a slow stop. Luckily I had ordered a new spare for the trip. Since we were only in NC, I was a bit concerned that it was my only spare, and we had a few more states to go until we made it home. As we got back on the road I happened to notice the blowout busted the weld at the front of the fender. We couldn’t have been at a better spot to see this issue. I had used up all of my bungees to secure everything on the boat, but I could see at an upcoming exit a store called Northern Tool+Equiptment. I had no idea what it was since there are none near where I live. It was a mecca having all the parts I needed. I was able to buy bungees to hold the fender in place, and they also had a mounted tire a wheel to fit as another spare. This definitely put me at ease. Returning to the truck with my new treasures I noticed the blowout made a small cut in the rubber hose brake line from the frame to the axle. It was drivable, although not as good as before when the pressure would kick in. We made it right outside of D.C. in Virginia where we stopped for our last fuel up. At the pump we check everything one last time. All of a sudden, the trailer lights were going off when the turn signal was turned on, and if the brakes were used. With a bit of testing, we pulled the ground off and reset its position twice before it worked again. After about 13 hours we finally pulled into the marina to drop off the boat for the evening/morning (12:30).

It was a good trip all in all, but I sure am happy to be done with it. The boat, Wolverine, as it was originally named is ready for cleaning and prep for its new life on the Chesapeake Bay.

Sailbag.jpg

Boat1.jpg

Nov 19, 2008
Catalina C-22 MK-II Parrish, FL
Sometimes the hunt is worth it! We traveled from Kansas City to north of Detroit for our first C-22. I've said it before, and I'll say it again, we LOVE our MK-II version, but those "new design" C-22's are the prettiest girls in the marina!

Congratulations!

Don

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Whoooo, that WAS a long trip! You WANTED that boat, didn't ya?!?

Congratulations!!

May 11, 2014
Catalina 22 Lake Pleasant, AZ
Congratulations Shaubby. Just in time for spring on the Chesapeake. I recently bought sail # 13772 and have been working at getting it, and the trailer, ready for the trip from Phoenix to San Diego, where I'll keep her for the summer. Get going with that shake-down cruise soon!

T_Cat

Aug 8, 2014
Catalina 22 1987 New Design. 14133 "LadyHawke" Modesto CA
Congrats. I just bought hull #14133. Still cleaning up and refitting. Hope to float sometime around June 1st. Great forum group. Lots of polite and quick responses.!!

Q22

Aug 18, 2013
Catalina 22 Bucks Lake
I have 13872 here in Northern California.They haven't let all the water out of the lake maybe I'll be able to get a slip this year and sail this year.

Jun 9, 2004
Catalina 385 Marquette. Mi
As far as I'm concerned, the "new style" was the best 22 that Catalina offered. Not withstanding racing of course.

Dec 5, 2014
Catalina 22 Baltimore
Thanks, everyone! I am really looking forward getting the boat off trailer and on the water. Bottom sanding and paint are schedule for the first weekend in May.

Dec 5, 2014
Catalina 22 Baltimore
Sometimes the hunt is worth it! We traveled from Kansas City to north of Detroit for our first C-22. I've said it before, and I'll say it again, we LOVE our MK-II version, but those "new design" C-22's are the prettiest girls in the marina!

Congratulations!

Don
I've definitely learned the drive, while stressful, was all part of the journey.

Dec 5, 2011
Catalina Catalina 22 13632 Phenix City
Congratulations from me and #13632! I hope your bottom painting goes better and faster than mine: I started last year in June and stopped about August where I could still sail the boat. Looks like I need to stall it just a little more till it gets too hot and breezeless to pick back up and get to work..

Nov 26, 2012
Catalina 250 Bodega Bay CA
Q22, Bucks Lake: My home is Berry Creek and yes, Lake Oroville is low! Chief

jmczzz

Mar 31, 2013
O'Day 26 CB New Orleans
Welcome, Good write up of your maiden boat owner trip. Sounds like you are of the right temperament and personality for the job of C-22 boat ownership.
Good work.
James

Dec 5, 2014
Catalina 22 Baltimore
Congratulations from me and #13632! I hope your bottom painting goes better and faster than mine: I started last year in June and stopped about August where I could still sail the boat. Looks like I need to stall it just a little more till it gets too hot and breezeless to pick back up and get to work..
Thanks, ShotgunSlim. I'm debating on the best way to paint the bottom. I need to sand it down this year, so I'm debating trying to do it on the trailer, or have it put up on blocks. The other part I need to factor in is the keel cable needs replaced. I'm wondering if that is easier while on the trailer or if the keel is extended while on blocks. Thoughts?

Dec 5, 2014
Catalina 22 Baltimore
Welcome, Good write up of your maiden boat owner trip. Sounds like you are of the right temperament and personality for the job of C-22 boat ownership.
Good work.
James
Thanks, James. I am certainly trying to be patient, but I can't help but stress about getting her in the water sooner rather than later. So many tasks, so little time...

jmczzz

Mar 31, 2013
O'Day 26 CB New Orleans
I know the feeling. I started a thread to get advice on refinishing my deck. I thought I would quickly replace keel habgers and pin with the new style. Well a month later and I'm still working on keel. So I may have to put off deck until next fall cause I wanna sail her not work on her.
James