New boat and first chainplate repair!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 15, 2013
Lancer 28 Weems Creek
Hey guys,

I picked up 1978 Lancer 28 for a song two weeks ago. It had been sitting in a slip for a few years with minimal maintainence so I had it pulled, powerwashed, sanded and bottom painted. The yard also compounded and buffed the hull. She shined up like a new penny!

I went to the yard to check on the boat and noticed a few issues. The bottom of the rudder tube had a little crack in it, so I got the yard to wrap some fiberglass around it before they put the boat back in.

I also noticed that one of my chainplate bolts was loose. Yikes! Figuring it was rusted on the inside, I exposed the chainplate to find a nice shiny chainplate, bolt and nut, but also a ton of rotted plywood! Well, after two days of hard labor by yours truly, I have a freshly installed and sealed toerail, as well as a bunch of new oak to replace the rotted out plywood.

I added a bunch of pics to an album, linked below. Enjoy!

http://forums.sbo.sailboatowners.com/album.php?albumid=2979

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
Nicely done. And congrats for your "new to you" boat. I was wondering, was 5200 the right material for caulking your toe rail? That stuff is very "permanent". I would think that something less permanent would be used in case you have to do more work on the deck.

Aug 15, 2013
Lancer 28 Weems Creek
Hi Brian,
Thanks for the compliment! As far as 5200... it is a good point that it may not be the best stuff for sealing the toerail. I had to make some compromises because I only had two days to finish the job. I read online that some guys were using 5200 to seal the toerail, plus I already had to buy a bunch of it to bond the wood to the hull. It was readily available at my local Home Despot for $6 per 3oz. tube, so that contributed to my decision as well (a compromise, I admit).
What product would you recommend, in case I have to do the other side?

Jun 8, 2010
Lancer 28 ATX
Soooo I have to attach the toe rail and I'm still confused on which sealer is the best to use to seal. I was thinking home depot would have the stuff, that link was just confusing so if anything could a normal water type sealer work for reinstalling the toe rail?

Status
Not open for further replies.