Need some winches

Jun 4, 2019
Catalina, Newport Catalina 22, Newport 17 Landlocked in NE PA
I need new winches.
I found a pair of barient 10 winches on Craigslist ... Will they fit?

Grotto

Feb 18, 2018
Catalina 22 Wilmington
i assume you mean will they fit into the existing mounting holes. Unless they are the same as the old ones “ barriant 10’s” I would not count on it. I would repot and drill regardless maybe even put in a backer while I was at it.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Just so you are aware. Parts for these old winches are expensive and have to come from Australia. Ask me how I know. FWIW, I'd find a cheap pair from a brand still in business.

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
assume they're for your C22....wait (if you can) for the 2 for 1 price from Defender, WM, and others, happens a couple times/year, then no maintenance/worries on old winches...

Jun 4, 2019
Catalina, Newport Catalina 22, Newport 17 Landlocked in NE PA
Ok thanks.
The pair I found on Craigslist were only $100 but I'm not sure they'll work plus they aren't self tailing.
It sounds like I'll be able to sail her well enough to know whether or not I love the boat without them

Nov 12, 2015
Catalina 22 Lake LBJ
For what it's worth.... I don't have winches on my 22; the boat had been modified for racing with winches on the cabin top (which I removed), it has blocks w/ cam cleats where winches normally are located. I find I am fine without winches for my leisurely day sailing adventures on the lake.

Oct 10, 2013
Catalina 22 Minneapolis
Yeah, I use my winches as a handy place to wrap lines, but I never actually use them as winches. I mean, I never use the winch handle.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
For what it's worth.... I don't have winches on my 22; the boat had been modified for racing with winches on the cabin top (which I removed), it has blocks w/ cam cleats where winches normally are located. I find I am fine without winches for my leisurely day sailing adventures on the lake.
I like my cabin top halyard winches, would not be without them. But if I had it to do over, I might not have any jib winches.

Do you have a pic of your block-and-cleat setup??

Oct 10, 2013
Catalina 22 Minneapolis
I like my cabin top halyard winches, would not be without them. But if I had it to do over, I might not have any jib winches.

Do you have a pic of your block-and-cleat setup??
Yeah, I don't use my jib winches (except to wrap the lines), but I would like a cabintop halyard winch.

Nov 12, 2015
Catalina 22 Lake LBJ
My cabin top winches were for the jib I'm fairly sure- cross sheeting for racing. I'll look tonight to see if I have pics of the block/cleat set up-- they are very handy, mounted on a thick aluminum plate where the winches go.

Nov 12, 2015
Catalina 22 Lake LBJ
Here is a pic, my mistake in that they are not located where the winches were- they are further forward.
P2190099.JPG
They work great for the jib sheets.