Need Rudder and swing keel dimensions (1981, H22)

SeaTR

Jan 24, 2009
Hunter 22 Groton
IDtrucks,
Well, I just launched the boat this past Monday. She was not sailed, just put her in the water, and motored a few miles to the mooring. So far very little keel bolt leakage using only the "torquing the bolts" method. First sail is expected this weekend...we'll see the results then.

Regardless, next year I'll try something new.

SeaTR

Jan 24, 2009
Hunter 22 Groton
The saga continues....my rudder failed late last fall and I'm not sure if I'll go with the previous manufacturer. When I say "failed" I mean the HDPE blade nearly completely sheared just below the pivot point (see attached pix). It was made by Rudder Craft, Garden City, ID and in service for 10 yrs. I don't sail her too hard, no races and winds <20 knots. I don't know if this is unexpected for the in-service duration, or not. But I want to know of the alternatives / your recommendations.

Does anyone have any rudder / blade recommendations other than this configuration?

Thanks bunches.

Attachments

SeaTR

Jan 24, 2009
Hunter 22 Groton
OK, it's the end of the season, boat's out of the water, and it's the end of my 15th season, but it has still resulted in having water in the bilge . . . seepage around the keel bolts? It's the only hull penetration I'm aware of. As I'm at a mooring, it's running my battery bank (fully charged at ~12.90VDC) down to ~12.20 VDC by the end of the season with all the bilge pump cycling.

I am at wit's end trying to figure how to cure this. Many of you have posted that you little or no leakage.

Does anyone have thoughts or pictures of their 1980s H22 keel bolt / bilge arrangement to share that I may compare and contrast for potential off-season modifications?

Any and all input is very much appreciated.

Vielen Dank!

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
@SeaTR

I came on board as a dealer after construction by Hunter had ceased. The forum store is manned by three former Hunter employees but suggest you call and talk with Mike Thomas who was employed at the time your 22 was built. They do have some diagrams on your boat which includes the drawing of the swing keel found under boat information on the 22. However, it contains other documents for a later 22 too which you need to look closely as to dates

SeaTR

Jan 24, 2009
Hunter 22 Groton
Thanks Crazy Dave. Yes, I have the drawings of the swing keel arrangement (they exist in this thread as well), and have dropped / reinstalled the keel 4-5 times in my 15 years of ownership of Assembly Required. . . one with the boat in the water using two local divers and me on the inside sequentially removing SS nut and washers, and conical neoprene washers, then plugging bolt holes with foam ear plugs while they dropped and reinstalled :-]. (I just could not pay for a haul out / re-launch at the time) Those jobs were mainly to periodically check the status of the SS hardware and nylon pivot bushing and repair / replace as needed. The in the water job was to replace a damaged swing keel from an low low low low tide encounter with a submerged 6" flanged pipe run near my previous mooring location.

I'll look into contacting Mike Thomas via the forum store (?) and exhaust that avenue!
Your sage input is ALWAYS appreciated.

Thanks again,

SeaTR

Jan 24, 2009
Hunter 22 Groton
No, the up haul line is mounted on the swing keel housing / trunk (under the drop leaf table) inside the cabin. The 'down haul' is gravity.

1699747371261.jpeg

Last edited: