Need ideas on replacing mast crutch

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Michael

As mentioned in another thread I was the victim of vandals/thieves over the weekend and one of the things that they stole or threw into the lake was the mast crutch that I kept in the lazarette. Searched for it with a magnet, but no luck. I'm not working on replacing it. The extendable one from Catalina Direct is about 210 dollars after shipping. I'm hoping someone out there can point me in a little less expensive direction. Has anyone made one that they are happy with? Have you found a source for a less expensive manufactured one? I can rig a temporary crutch to get the boat home in a month or so, but I'm interested in finding a nicer long term solution. One lesson from this is: Don't store any spares or parts you don't need on an immediate basis on the boat. My spare main sail and whatever crutch I end up with will be stowed at home (only 15 minutes away from the lake). One happy note: I rigged up a grappling hook and dragged the area where the boat was moored and did manage to snag the mainsail that had been tossed overboard. After a good cleaning it looks ok! Used it on a moonlight sail last night. Thanks!

M

Michael

Correction

Ooops! That posting should have said "Im NOW working on replacing it" not "I'm not working on replacing it". I not only want to replace it I want to make it better. The old one didn't extend.

Jul 25, 2006
- - Blyth, Northumberland UK
Make one

You can make one easy enough. Go to a supplier of sound equipment and buy a tripod used for mounting loudspeakers. They are light alloy, and are available in either two or three telescopic sections. You don't need the tripod foot section, so remove it and throw it away (unless you do what I do and set the tripod up on the ground behind the stern - this makes the balancing of the mast so much easier when stepping/unstepping). If you want to mount it to the rudder pintles, then get a pair of pintles to suit and bolt them to the telescoping sections so they slot into the transom pintles. The tripod I use is actually a lighting stand, which rises to 3 metres, and has a T-bar top included - nice and wide to catch that mast. See link below for the sort of stand I am talking about. Cost: GBP 31 !! A damn sight less expensive than the prices you are considering :cool:

Jul 25, 2006
Make one (2)

If you follow that link I gave you, I think you have to click on LIGHTING STANDS on the left hand menu.

Aldo

Jan 27, 2005
Catalina 22 Middle River, MD
Insurance

Michael: Did you contact your insurance company about your losses? What did they say? My mast crutch is made from an oak board, about a 1 x 4, that has a "U" sawed into the top of it. I also made another one that plugs onto the top of the first one that I use to raise the mast. (I sort of built a box that goes over the oak one). The upper one helps get the angle better for lifting the mast. Both were just made from scraps that I had at the time, but you could do something nice with a 2 x 6. Don't forget to use the mainsheet and blocks to help lift and lower the mast. Aldo

M

michael

not insured

I did file a police report but the loss is not insured, or should I say it is self insured. I found that my claims, after deductable, have in the past ended up costing me more in insurance increases than the pay-out for the loss. Fortunately I am able to absorb the loss. Did I mention they stole my pirate flag, pretty ironic. The replies have me looking at the light stand idea for an "upgrade" option. I hadn't thought in that direction. Thanks! Keep those ideas coming. I may try several. I knew I would get some good ideas from all of you.

Jul 25, 2006
Lighting stand

The main reason I went for the lighting stand option is because it stands on the ground behind the transom. I found when the mast was lowered into a rest at the transom, it was difficult to remove the pin at the mast step because the 'balance' point of the mast was actually further back than the transom (I am talking about a Jaguar 22 here, with probably the original 1980 mast), causing the mast to flex and grip on the pin at the step. Having more of the weight of the mast taken further back, makes pin removal much easier and makes handling the mast much easier.

W

watercolors

Inexpensive Mast Crutch

Here's one I built about 8 years ago, I keep it attached to the trailer. I painted it same color as the trailer so it doesn't stand out.

W

watercolors

Inexpensive Mast Crutch Link

http://www.pennswoods.net/~jlearn/Boat%20Mod/crutch/mastcrutch.html

M

Michael

dead end link

I tried the link but unfortunately it is a dead end. Please check it, I'd love to see what you created.

Jul 25, 2006
The link is all there

The link is all there if you look at his post, but he has somehow managed to split it so only part is hyperlinked. I have joined the two bits together again, and added them below. Also pasted it here: http://www.pennswoods.net/~jlearn/Boat%20Mod/crutch/mastcrutch.html

Jul 25, 2006
The link is all there (2)

Well, don't ask me how or why, but it just did the same to me! OK, what you need to do is copy the second part of the link using the COPY function on your PC, then click on the hyperlink, then paste the remainder of the link to the URL (address) in yoru web browser.

W

watercolors

Try this

If you can ever get to my website, my approach is a little different. I build my own ideas, that way I do not have a large expense involved in paying someone else to make and do the modifications that any new design would require to make it fit right. I am a little different, I sail, I ride a motorcycle, not a Harley or a Japanese. I do not support Bill Gates and because of that, this web software destroys my links. (www.pennswoods.net/~jlearn/Boat%20Mod/crutch/mastcrutch.html) is the link, I’m trying to hide it into the message for you so these Gates guys don’t see it. We'll see if this works.

M

Michael

pasted it together

I managed to paste the link together as suggested by Ken. It worked fine once I did that. Thanks for the picture and idea. I sorting out a few options right now. I'll let you all know what I come up with.

Ken

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 22 P. P. Y. C.
aluminum tubing

made mine from aluminum tubing, I could send you a few pictures if you provide your email address, that is if you want them. The tubing was bought from Texas towers, When I bought it I got enough to make the mast up and a gin pole.

M

Michael

Looks good

Thanks for posting that as well as the related link. Lots of good ideas. Right now I'm waiting for a package from a company in Alabama that sells a telescoping crutch at a reasonable price. I'll be able to tell you HOW reasonable once I actually see the product. If it is good I'll use it. If not it may go back and I'll make up something myself.

T

Tom

C22 mast crutch

Try Sail Trailers in Columbus GA. We bought our trailer from them. They are good people to deal with. http://home.att.net/~sail-trailers/mastlift.html

M

Michael

I meant Georgia!

That's the place! As a lifelong yankee I tend to mix up all those southern places. You have to forgive me. We're in an 8 year drought and my brain has dehydrated!

Status
Not open for further replies.