Need help upgrading thru hull

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 6, 2013
Catalina 310 Annapolis
Today, I removed the old frozen gate valve and brass pipe nipple from my Catalina 22. Now I want to order the Catalina Direct replacement thru hull and installation kit. But, I don't see how I can install the new thru hull from the kit (which comes with a wooden for support on the hull) on top of the "volcano" that remains from the buildup of fiberglass around the old pipe nipple installation.

Do I, somehow, need to remove the volcano? If so, what would be the best way?

Thanks!

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
If it's a "kit" it should come with instructions. Tools that may help you prep the inside of the hull for the mounting block would be an angle grinder, a disc sander or a chisel.

Oct 17, 2011
Ericson 29 Southport..
Whoa, whoa, whoa. I looked at CD's kit out of curiosity, because this "sounded odd". That thru hull installation kit is worthless for what you're doing. That kit is for an add-on, like a bilge pump upgrade, or rear mounted scuppers. On an older 22, you don't need much. If the brass nipple is loose, slide it out, clean it up, seal it with a good sealer, (I like Sikaflex 291, but ask around and you'll get a thousand more opinions on this), put on a decent ball valve etc, and you're done. Oh yeah, don't use a brass valve. Or 5200, the first sign of a rookie builder..

Jun 8, 2012
Catalina 22 Portsmouth
This is the precise problem I was running into. I spoke to the people at Catalina Direct, and a few professionals at the boat yard. The way to go about making that a permanent fix is to glass over the hole you have remaining in the volcano and place two thu hull fittings on flat fiberglass. One on either side of the volcano with the hoses crossing in order to prevent back flow when heeled over. I am hoping to get this repair done sometime in early June then I can take some pictures for you. Just waiting on a buddy who is good with fiberglass to come up and visit. Lucky for me the valve and thru hull I got in there now seems to be holding up fine for now, but I don't like the idea of a thru hull fitting not having any kind of mechanical bond to the hull. Good luck!

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
This is the precise problem I was running into. I spoke to the people at Catalina Direct, and a few professionals at the boat yard. The way to go about making that a permanent fix is to glass over the hole you have remaining in the volcano and place two thu hull fittings on flat fiberglass. One on either side of the volcano with the hoses crossing in order to prevent back flow when heeled over.....
Well that's a new one for me. Why don't you just drill one new hole, sculpt a wood base to fit the contour of the hull, install the through hull to bolt on the flat part, then attach your valve.... place a vented loop above the water line as anti siphon protection when the boat heels (or you could just close the valve when sailing).

Apr 6, 2013
Catalina 310 Annapolis
thanks

Whoa, whoa, whoa. I looked at CD's kit out of curiosity, because this "sounded odd". That thru hull installation kit is worthless for what you're doing. That kit is for an add-on, like a bilge pump upgrade, or rear mounted scuppers. On an older 22, you don't need much. If the brass nipple is loose, slide it out, clean it up, seal it with a good sealer, (I like Sikaflex 291, but ask around and you'll get a thousand more opinions on this), put on a decent ball valve etc, and you're done. Oh yeah, don't use a brass valve. Or 5200, the first sign of a rookie builder..
Thanks! I like the simplicity of that for sure. The brass nipple is trash and the really scary part is the gate valve was frozen in the open position. I imagine if I put thickened epoxy in the hole, put a new 3/4 inch brass nipple in glass the mile in and then install one of CD's ballcock valves in there I should be good to go. My only lingering concern is CD's aand many poster's points that the old Cat 22 installation of a brass bike basically just glued into place was a bad idea. I guess this is one of those issues with differing perspectives. Thanks again.

Apr 6, 2013
Catalina 310 Annapolis
Thanks!

This is the precise problem I was running into. I spoke to the people at Catalina Direct, and a few professionals at the boat yard. The way to go about making that a permanent fix is to glass over the hole you have remaining in the volcano and place two thu hull fittings on flat fiberglass. One on either side of the volcano with the hoses crossing in order to prevent back flow when heeled over. I am hoping to get this repair done sometime in early June then I can take some pictures for you. Just waiting on a buddy who is good with fiberglass to come up and visit. Lucky for me the valve and thru hull I got in there now seems to be holding up fine for now, but I don't like the idea of a thru hull fitting not having any kind of mechanical bond to the hull. Good luck!
Thanks for this. I called Catalina Direct yesterday and they gave me the same advice. It was a bit more expensive -- and my wife handles the finances -- but if it keeps me afloat I guess she will go along. I have also been advised to grind or otherwise remove the volcano (I am nervous about a grinder so I am going to saw it off and then prepare the hull with a sanding disk in my drill) and glass it over from there. I built wooden/epoxy boats so the glassing isn't intimidating. I just need to be sure to prepare the surface correctly for the bond but there is a ton of advice for that on West System's website.

Status
Not open for further replies.