Need help repairing a Merriman Pedestal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 25, 2006
Hunter 34 Bayou Chico - Pensacola
The base on the Merriman pedestal on my '84 Hunter 34 is corroded to the point of structural failure. Does anyone know if the base on these is a separate part from the 4" column? Does anyone know if the base for an Edson is interchangeable? Does anyone have an old merriman pedestal that would be willing to sell me the base? I REALLY don't want to shell out $800 for a new Pedestal.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Sorry...

Sorry but Yacht Specialties/Merriman parts are non-existent plus the base was not a separate part. One guy who owns a C&C had one cast and custom made but I'm sure by the time he was done hoe could have purchased a new pedestal from Edson. I also have a YS pedestal and will eventually need to replace it with an Edson..

E

elliot

do you think a two part epoxy

like SplashZone could fill and be sculpted. SplashZone is highly moldable and sculptable when you keep your hands wet.

Jun 25, 2006
Hunter 34 Bayou Chico - Pensacola
So where does the pedestal come apart?

So you're saying that the base and the 4"column are a single part? Is the entire pedistal a single casting up to the infamous plastic ring that the throttle and shift lever are mounted to?

B

Benny

Bite the bullet and get a new pedestal.

It will maintain or enhance the value of your boat but most important It will give you the confidence your steering system is not going to fail when you most need it. Also try to determine the cause of the corrosion as that base has failed prematurely. Is it galvanic corrosion?

RAD

Jun 3, 2004
Catalina 30 Bay Shore, N.Y.
EBay

Keep an eye out on EBay,I always see someone selling a pedestal in fact there was one just the other day but I just looked and the listing is gone

Status
Not open for further replies.