Need a cunningham, don't like my outhaul.

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Steve

My new to me boat does not have a cunningham. The sail has the cringle(sp?) for it, but no device to down haul. My last boat, a lighting, had a nice cunningham with a lot of purchase. Question is: where do I buy one? What model should I look for? any other thoughts? Also, I have an internal boom outhaul, that has little to be desired. I really can't crank the outhaul out with this system. The rope runs through the boom to the front, where it runs through a pivot clip that bytes the rope when the clip is pushed up. It's a awkward system to say the least. I'd like to change it to something where I can adjust from the rear or center of the boom, near the cockpit. I'd also like a system that has some mechanical advantage. Any thoughts? Thanks, Steve

B

Bill O'Donovan

Two thoughts

If you've already got the cringle, just buy a smallish block and tackle, nothing overpowering. You're done. The outhaul as you described it has plenty of mechanical advantage because it probably has a small block and tackle hidden within the boom. You don't need more activity at the back of the boom, so take advantage of the system as it's already set up.

D

Don Guillette

Need A Cunningham, Don't like Outhaul

Steve: A cunnigham is just a soft boom vang and you can buy one at West marine or Boats/US. I personally buy all my marine hardware from a company called Garhauer Marine, which is located in Upland , Ca. They supply all the equipment for the Catalinas and many other boats as well. They carry a 10 year guarantee and their prices are 1/2 of what you would pay for Harken etc. If you decide to check them out, ask for Mark and tell him Don Guillette (Gillette like the razor blade) told you to call. I don't know what type of boat you sail, but I had the same outhaul problem with my Catalina 30. They have an internal system also but it is poorly designed and had never worked properly. I converted my outhaul system to an external system by using two Harken triple blocks. I ran the outhaul line along the boom to the mast area where my cunningham and halyard are located. If you have boom that is similiar to a catalina, with a bolt rope setup, I can give you a couple of ideas as to how to improve the operation of your outhaul. If your boat is a Catalina, the remedies will be very easy for you to install.

S

Steve

Don, the boat is a Beneteau F235

Don, Th boat is a Beneteau F235. The main is not a bolt rope main, it has sliders on it. Thanks, Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.