Need 22 New Design Mast Data

CB22

Oct 16, 2021
Catalina 22 new design Clear Lake
I purchased a 1987 Catalina 22 new design basket case recently. It's missing a mast and rigging and most of the rudder. But still has it's sails stowed away in the boat.
The problem is I've never seen an Catalina 22 mast up close. Can someone share pics and dimensions. I've searched online but no dice other than it being 25' long.
I'm not hung up on keeping it original, if you ware in my boat would you replace the mast with some other mast from another boat. If so will ch one. That way I have more options in used mast to chose from.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Last edited:
Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
if you ware in my boat would you replace the mast with some other mast from another boat.
Nope..I would save time and money and get a different C22 and maybe use the one you currently have.. for parts.

That said, the 1987 owners manual has some line drawings and riggin info. I have attached a copy.

Keep in mind that the mast changed over the years, so if you find a used mast, i would make sure it is from a 1986 or newer Catalina 22 "New Design", like you have.

Attachments

Last edited:

CB22

Oct 16, 2021
I paid very little for this one so purchasing another one is doable. That's good advice. I'm going to tell my wife leeward rail said I need two boats. I'm going to be patient and see what presidents itself, a mast or another boat.
Thanks for the manual. That's going to help a good bit now and down the road.
I have access to a fabrication shop. Welding aluminium and fabercation is no problem either.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
The fact it shows a tarp on it may be a good sign. Hard tell from the photos but the trailer appears to be not very rusty
Trailer alone is worth that price and you likely end up with extra sails nevermind a mast
Unfortunately it's pre."New Design" so the mast profile is different, the spreader attachments likely need help, and the step would likely need to be swapped.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
If I had a Catalina 22 I would buy it just for the trailer and parts............besides the drive would be fun.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
It's missing a mast and rigging and most of the rudder. But still has it's sails stowed away in the boat.

The problem is I've never seen an Catalina 22 mast up close. Can someone share pics and dimensions. I've searched online but no dice other than it being 25' long.
It looks like @Leeward Rail has already given you the manual which is a great start. You will want a New Design mast from 1986 or newer. The mast is more oval than round like the originals and much stronger so there is less flex. It is also a few inches shorter to account for the higher cabin top on your New Designed boat style. Your most affordable option is generally finding a boat in poor condition, purchasing it for the parts you need (rudder & mast) and then parting out the rest or scrapping it. Racers do this all the time with the older design boats. That being said you may ask around on the Catalina 22 Facebook group as there is often someone parting out an older boat. Where are you located? Is there a Catalina 22 fleet in your region? If so then talk with the sailors in that fleet as many of them have spare parts for just such a need that they may be willing to sell.

As for the rudder if your looking for a new one Rudedercraft seems to be the way to go. If this is a long project I recommend the Catalina 22 Tech Manual available from the Catalina 22 National Sailing Association. It has hundreds of pages of articles and information to fix anything on the boat and will save you days of internet searching of opinions.

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your boat! the 1987 is a good year (my year of boat) and I am sure you'll enjoy it. The new design with the fixed sink and better (in my opinion) cabin layout makes the hull a favorite among cruisers.

CB22

Oct 16, 2021
Thanks guys the links and groups help and does save time. So far I'm only in very little money. I think finding another Catalina 22 looks to be the route unless I get lucky and find a mast and boom. The rest I can fabercate.