Navigation Lights

ShawnL

Jul 29, 2020
Catalina 22 3603 Calumet Mi
I have one of the old-style Catalina 22s (1972) with the deck-mounted nav lights, fore and aft. I'm pretty sure they're not currently working, and rather than fix them I was thinking about just replacing them with something that will actually have a chance of getting seen from a distance (the bow light is on the deck, right behind the spar). Probably one that mounts on the pulpit. Does anyone have any suggestions for reasonably priced lights? I know CD has them, but they're pretty spendy.

I currently don't plan on needing them much. We mainly day sail the boat, but I want to have them available in case we're coming back in after it starts to get dark, etc.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Low cost navigation lights on Amazon in the link below. You are probably aware that even if you are sailing or motoring in daylight between sunset and sunrise you will need your navigation lights on WHEN there is restricted visibility, such as in fog or rain so that other boats can see you and take the appropriate action to avoid a collision. Not uncommon to get caught in fog in the San Francisco Bay during the day and that is one example when I turn my navigation lights on.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
SBO might have some fixture that will work. MarineBeam is very popular too. I used them to convert to LED inside and out. Wait and see what C22 sailors did.

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
Honestly it depends on how much you really need them and are you moving their location. To access the wiring can be a pain for lights you may use once a year. Have you thought of just using portable ones that will clamp on the bow and stern pulpits? I will second the Amazon source for lights. I bought a new anchor light (led) for under $20 and it works great.

• Helpful
Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
@LakeShark is right. Don't overdo it. We don't sail much after dark either but the new LEDs are much more visible now. The deck lamp is great. The ones in the cabin have a red/white setting we really like

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
I'm with @LakeShark - if you don't want fancy or expect to use them much, get portable. Fill the little holes with some 3M 4200 and call it a day. On my Hunter 22 day sailor (without 12V circuits), I just kept a set of these (batteries separate) in a plastic bag in case we were "caught out" after dark or were leaving real early: Aqua Signal Series 27 LED Portable Navigation Light. You can get them for about $25 each from Defender, Amazon, etc. so for $50 you're set. I kept them as emergency backups on my larger boat - you never know.

If you really want to do a project, then have at it. I warn you that running wires to the pointy end of a boat is not fun (boat-yoga).

AaronD

Aug 10, 2014
Catalina 22 9874 Newberg, OR / Olympia, WA
I can heartily recommend MarineBeam fixtures. Reasoning and pictures at Sailing and restoring #9874 (including my rationale for full replacement vs. just LED bulbs). As already mentioned, they're not cheap (~$100 each). For cheap, the portable battery operated versions are the way to go. We still keep a set around for backup or for use on the dinghy.

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
If being seen is a concern then remember that the higher the light the further away it can be seen. That being the case, consider a tri-color.

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
Suggest you keep the red/green and stern white at deck level, drunken lost boaters do not look 3 feet in air for lights.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Suggest you keep the red/green and stern white at deck level, drunken lost boaters do not look 3 feet in air for lights.
I think you meant to say 30 feet in the air ... but you are correct either way. ;)

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
Yep 30 feet, and they do not notice the anchor lite up there so I put a cheap solar yard light in the top of one of the winches at night too.