Navigating Barnegate Inlet

Apr 21, 2017
Erickson 25 Atlantic City
I Have a boat, 25 Ericson which is kept at Mariners. My husband and I have sailed the bay for 2 summers. He is anxious to hit the ocean. I have never been through the inlet only heard scary stories as a kid. Can anyone give me some pointers. He said SUNDAY or we are done, :)

Like following sea in or out, wind from behind, best direction for tide both outbound and inbound.

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2013
Catalina 34 856 hamilton
you have to watch the shoaling as you round the islands into the inlet, there's a submerged jetty (ocean end, north side, high tide), and the current is speedy. in a 25ft, i'd be careful. i had a 25ft at mariners and was never courageous enough to shoot the inlet, bought a 34 so i could. having said that, i've seen people in 25-30 footers go out the inlet, but i'd do it at slack water and watch the wave action on the ocean side. if there's a swell and wind you can get rollers in the inlet.

Jul 7, 2013
Catalina 34 856 hamilton
just looked at the weather for sunday,

Sunday through Sunday night... Conditions should mainly be below
small craft advisory levels however winds may occasionally gust
20-25 knots near the shore... Especially Sunday evening.

10-15kts w/ 25kts gusts is usually more like 20-25kts with 30kts gusts. make sure you know how to reef your sails.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Depending on the weather "he may need a bigger boat" The majority of accidents at sea are caused by following a schedule.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
Well, my sailing is over for about 4 weeks. I just had my gall bladder removed on Thursday evening so I will be recovering for a little while. Sunday looks like a good day to go outside! Don't take my advise because we haven't been thru the inlet. But we have seen it on plenty of typical summer days when it doesn't look like a threat. You will undoubtedly have a parade of boats going in and out, so I would follow the leaders. It looks like wind and tide is favorable for going out in the morning around 8 am with gently northwest wind blowing with the outgoing tide right after high tide. Later in the afternoon around 4 or later, you can ride the incoming tide just before high tide again. Low tide looks like it is around noon to 1 pm. Northwest winds all day should knock everything pretty flat. I'd guess it will be a perfect time to go for it. I'm only sorry that I won't be. Higher wind conditions are generally in the bay when land heating conditions provide that thermal boost, which we see a lot. With northwest wind and predicted temps in high 70's I wouldn't expect higher wind outside. Often times it is significantly less. But watch the wind forecast carefully for northeast. Anything out of the west tends to flatten the seas. If it swings to northeast, it gets rough. I'm sure Hollymae knows that already! :biggrin: If the wind is strong from northwest, the wind will oppose the tide in the afternoon and may have the potential for causing standing waves, but it is so shallow on the inside that waves don't tend to build much opposing incoming tide. Obviously, stick to the channel markers and swing to the south when you are inside the inlet in front of Barnegat Light. Don't be tempted to follow the power boats, whom cut across the shallows on their way to Oyster Creek or Double Creek.

You can now follow Double Creek Channel if you are coming/going from Mariners. No need to swing way over to Oyster Creek channel.

Last edited: