Navico Depth Sounder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 19, 2005
Catalina 30 Florida
Hi all, I just bought a 85 30' Catalina with a thru hull transducer from NAVICO, that is defectiv and gives erratic or no readings. I learned that this company is out of business and there successors don't support that brand anymore. From your expertise, what road should I follow ? - Are there other brands on the market with the same thru-hull technique transducer and can I exchange those without laying new wires, getting a new receiver ? This transducer is black, has a t-handle on top, is pushed in, turned around and then secured. - Get the old out, fix the hole in the hull and get a new system with an in-hull transducer ? - Leave the old to cover the hole, and buy a new system ? Thanks a lot for keeping me off the rocks :))

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
NaviCo

NaviCo. Largo FL 813-524-1555 What model of instruments to you have? NaviCo is now Simrad. They are well and going strong.

Aug 19, 2005
Catalina 30 Florida
Steve

Steve, thanks for the reply. I have a NAVICO DS 200, the manual is from 1990 and the transducer "through-hull skin fitting" is named SFAK1 Thats all I have. I already called Simrad. They don't have anything from Navico, couldn't help with any contacts or ideas, but have some brand new products that I should buy instead :))

Dec 2, 1999
I may have some stuff.

Higgins: I may have some stuff that you can have. I do not know what I have that works or not. I will try to remember to bring it home and we can check it out. Contact me at: steve@sdcsoftware.com

Aug 19, 2005
Catalina 30 Florida
NAvico

Oh Steve, before I forget it, Just realized that the number you have is in my manual as well and I tried that one weeks ago when the sounder failed for the first time. You get an voice announcment of an obviously bored but friendly lady insisting that: this is not Navicos number and she doesnt know any new one and ... so far to reaching Navico., But I found a number in an old internet thread of a company in the UK that has bought some old Navico stuff. We'll see.

J

John

Horizon sounder

Just a thought....I jave a 77 Cat 30 wita Horizon brand sounder. It works but is old and I will replace it next season. The xducer is mounted inside the hull, starboard side, just in front of a water tank. It is inside a glass enclosure which is sealed to the inside of the hull with silicon sealer. the container is filled with mineral oil. works great. The xducer will not need to be replaced because the new sounder instrument uses the same model xducer. Plus, Horizon has a lifetime "fix or replace" for a flat fee. (course they have to remain in business" U might want to consider this and replace your sounder and leave the old xducer alone.

Aug 19, 2005
Catalina 30 Florida
Thanks

Steve, I'll appreciate the offer. But I dont know if I want to stay with this Navico stuff anyway, and I'm not sure I can replace the transducer (even if you have one) without getting the wires thru the whole ships cabin deck, as I'm sure its not allowed to cut and fix them again. And anyway, I would like to have a new one as the console of the old one is in a big bulky metal box at my helm. But still thanks. Good that IBM Business partners are working together :)) (www.intercope.com, the company I'm working for)

Aug 19, 2005
Catalina 30 Florida
John

Thanks to you as well John, that was one line of my thinking, but leaving the old transducer in ? I dont like the feeling of the hole kept tight by 3 old O-rings in my boat ? But if I cant get a transducer fitting into the hole (its nearly 1 3/4 inch), I might think about an in hull transducer.

Dec 2, 1999
Just a hint.

Higgins: When you remove your old wires, hook a tracer (fish) line to the end of the old cable. This will then give you a way to pull your new lines back through. Actually it is a good idea to pull two tracers lines through and leave one as a spare. If you start looking for new instruments there are several good one available. The Navman, Comnav (formerly Nexus), B & G now has an affordable priced system too.

J

JohnS

replacing thru-hull

I recently replaced my depth sounder and transducer. The old transducer was a big bulky bronze wedge, but the shaft was only 3/4" diameter. The new transducer was (I believe) 1-5/8". I bought a 1-5/8" hole saw and a 3/4" wooden dowel. I cut the dowel a little longer than the hole saw, and drilled a 1/4" hole thru the length of the dowel. (The tricky part was staying in the center all the way thru, but it didn't need to be perfect.) I slipped the dowel over the centering bit of the hole saw, and used this to drill the larger hole. Worked like a charm.

H

Harry

Navico speed transducer

try AW Marine info@awmarine.com. I purchased a Navico S200 speed unit from them about two years ago. When Navico went out of business they bought a lot of the inventory. The unit I bought was new in the original box. They are located in the U.K. I think his name is Allen. I was satisfied with the transaction.

Aug 19, 2005
Catalina 30 Florida
Thanks all

Thank you guys for the help, Steve, good idea with the tracer lines, as I assume I'll have to do additional wiring for other stuff. JohnS I could have used that method earlier for a home project. Will keep that in mind. The hole in my Catalina is "big", The "spare plug" I have is 1-5/8 on the outside, although the O-Rings make it to 1-11/16, so I probably don't have to make it BIGGER. 'm more looking foe something fitting INTO this whole, but I assume the special form with a slot on the fitting and a ridge on the plug will not make it easy. (I have attached a picture) Harry, Ihad found that UK number in some old thread, but I'm not so sure I want to spend additional money on equipment that is outdated and not produced anymore ?

Status
Not open for further replies.