My Universal 5411 has white smoke!

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Sheena

My 1982 Catalina 30 has a Universal deisel, that uses no oil, shows no sign of water contamination in the crankcase, has an exhaust manifold that tested good, but is showing 'white' smoke out the exhaust. I removed the head and checked the head gasket and valves but no sign of water intrusion. I put in a new thermostat,replaced the head gasket, re-torqued the head, and made sure that lots of water was coming out the exhaust, and it still smokes at 165 degrees. I removed the thermostat and ran the engine under load at the dock, and with the low temperature there was no white smoke... Please point this girl in the right direction...Thanks in advance...

G

Gordon Torresen

Smoke?

There is a very good chance that what you see, that is only there at elevated engine temperatures, is steam. This could relate somewhat to ambient temperature and/or relative humidity.

L

Larry Watkins

5411 white smoke

Sheena; I used to have a 1982 Catalina with the two-banger diesel, hull no. 2727. The engine ran like a top, but it always had a little smoky-looking steam or steamy-looking smoke coming from it, no matter what temp it was. I think it's a characteristic of that engine, don't worry about it.

D

Dave Ullrich

agree, no worries

I have an 1983 Cat 30 with the 5411. It has always blown a bit of "white smoke." I'd guess it's actually steam. Another wierd thing about the 5411 in Cat 30s, the pump almost no water out the exhaust, yet never overheat. It was once explained to me that the rawwater cooled 5411 almost never heats up enough to open the thermostat all the way. Every time I go out, I get people yelling at me that I'm not pumping water...

Status
Not open for further replies.