My "new" 2000 Mac26X trailer, does it have surge brakes?

May 29, 2021
MacGregor 26M Georgian Bay
I bought a bowrider (3,300 lbs) from a private owner in New York 4 years ago (I live in Pennsylvania) and just transferred title on boat and trailer and it was just a matter of paperwork. A week ago I bought a Mac 26X in Massilon Ohio, NOW Pennsylvania wants a trailer inspection because the trailer has a GVWR over 3,000 lbs. In the inspection, I guess they will look at the tires (I put new ones on), the general condition of the trailer (looks fine), and surge brakes (I have seen ads saying these trailers have surge brakes).

So....if it does have surge brakes, do these hold up relatively well? The boat was kept in freshwater for the season and only trailered 10 miles twice a year (the lake was 5 miles long, one mile wide in Ohio).... and the boat looks brand new, so does the trailer! The old guy was OCD (God love him)!

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
..........So....if it does have surge brakes, do these hold up relatively well? The boat was kept in freshwater for the season and only trailered 10 miles twice a year............. and the boat looks brand new, so does the trailer!............
Congratulations on your new sailboat!!

Surge brakes lasts for years with periodic maintenance. I had them for 20 years on my ski boat trailer. Freshwater boat and lightly used trailer are great find and unusual!! Recommend inspecting the trailer for lights, hitch and brake functionality and perform any preventative maintenance before your first long trip.

Last edited:
May 29, 2021
MacGregor 26M Georgian Bay
I had a 300 mile trip home from Ohio to Harrisburg, Pa on interstate 80 across the Appalachian mountains. When I came to a stop the trailer didn't move forward at all and rattle around on the trailer hitch. I assume that means the search brakes are working.
My next trip is a 500 mile trip to Canada at my cottage on the Georgian Bay and I will be getting the trailer inspected for making that journey. The trailer has to pass inspection anyway before I can get the title for the trailer.
I'm just wondering what to expect.
That mentioned, are the parts for the trailer easy to get?

Tedd

Jul 25, 2013
TES 246 Versus near Vancouver, BC
I overhauled the surge brake system and replaced the master cylinder on the Macgregor trailer for my Mac 26S when I installed disc brakes a couple of years ago. I'm pretty sure I got the parts from Blue Water Yachts and they had everything. I would imagine parts for the later Mac trailers would, if anything, be even easier to get.

By the way, the disc brakes, though not cheap, are really nice. I doubt I'll own another trailer without putting them on.