My 1st (project) boat

May 19, 2014
Catalina 22 #13555 Lake Winnebago, Oshkosh, WI
She floats! Motored her around some last Wed eve, figuring messing with the mast would cut out cruise short. Also, found a lake with a deep enough launch, >3', after trying two other "no go" lakes. We were in Lake Nagawicka, WI if anyone is in the area. Pewaukee Lake has a shallow launch (and too many ski boats).

Here's our current gin pole 1.2 setup. I'm using the jib halyard to raise her with the trailer winch doing most of the lifting while I balance the mast. Opinions for improvements welcome.

image-2335753141.jpg

image-1294194562.jpg

Jul 23, 2013
1981 Catalina 22 #10330 Bayview, ID
Have you considered using the boom as your gin pole and your main sheet instead of the winch? No extra lumber to haul around, do it all from the deck. Just takes a pivot point at the mast step.

May 19, 2014
Have you considered using the boom as your gin pole and your main sheet instead of the winch? No extra lumber to haul around, do it all from the deck. Just takes a pivot point at the mast step.
Hmm, not sure I follow. Are the gooseneck and mainsheet attachment points strong enough for that? Pivot point... to rotate the mast 180 once up? A diagram might help my monkey brain wrap around this. I do, however, like the "no extra lumber to haul around" aspect... a lot. Is this your method as well?

Jul 23, 2013
Plenty strong. I'd bet they see greater forces when sailing but I have no way to measure. Some of the load is linear compression on the boom, the rest is tension between the forestay attachment strap and the main sheet attachment strap on the opposite side of the boom end fitting. But that's what it's designed for and is normal.

A diagram wouldn't really tell it but I do plan to make a video of it soon for my blog. Imagine your current setup but instead of your gin pole use the boom.

At the upper (normally aft) end of the boom, attach your side straps, forestay, and the end of your main sheet tackle that you usually attach when sailing. I attach my side stays to eye straps already on my boom for my topping lift and jiffy reefing lines. Attach the cleat end of your main sheet to your stem fitting with the snap shackle. By the way, you can lower the mast almost as easily with only the main sheet as you can with the boom as a gin pole if you have a crutch, which I see you do. I did it that way today, actually.

At the lower end of the boom, temporarily pin it to a pivot point near the mast through bolt. I use a drop cam (bimini) pin that I also use to attach the gooseneck fitting to the mast car. Attached is a picture of an angled aluminum tang that I bolted through my mast step using the existing front bolt and another like it to keep it from twisting.

The triangle formed by the mast, boom, and forestay doesn't form constant angles like a mast-mounted gin pole but it doesn't have to. The leverage is almost constant and more than enough to lift and lower the mast.

The rest of the setup works just like yours does now but instead of cranking a hundred turns on the winch, just haul on standing end of the main sheet while you guide the mast up until the side straps (first) and then the shrouds tighten. Takes seconds. Then take it all apart and put the boom on the mast and you're ready to go.

This is the only way that I've been raising and lowering my mast and I always do it single-handed. I'd show more pictures but I don't have them yet and my boat got damaged in a freak storm this weekend (another story for another time).

Hope it helps. If anything is still unclear, let me know.

Attachments

Aug 11, 2011
catalina 22 Islamorada
I made mine a lot better thought of it then seen someone else had already done it (the video) Anyway it's probably at the top of my list of best improvements on my boat (for me not for everyone) I can single hand mast step in a few mins with zero risk of injuring myself or the boat. IF your really interested I'll take a few pictures of my setup again I believe I greatly improved upon whats in the video but it's the same basic concept.

BTW I have a roller furling front sail and leave the furling and the sail all setup just rolled up when I step the mast and no possibility of doing so manually.

OH and yah my setup wasn't the cheapest setup but for me personally it was a no brainer I'm disabled and would have no way to step the mast unless I went to a marina and paid them to do it otherwise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgBV7Dp2RGE

May 19, 2014
Good ideas for improvements on the mast raising system. $tingy, your setup makes sense now that I see the extra bracket at the front of the mast base. I'm considering the extra base plate from CD some day for more attachment points. And, Allen, yah I've watched that vid many times. I like the electric winch. That might be another future project.

We actually have time for a sail today! Yeah! Pics later as they're taken. Lake Nagawicka here we come!

Thanks, guys, for your input. Fair winds! (and speedy repairs, $tingy!)

May 19, 2014
Our 1st time sailing as a family on our first sailboat, Exodus. It was amazing!

image-1040803764.jpg

image-3757381130.jpg

Only hit a mucky shallow once. Lol. Cranked up the keel some and away we went.

Jul 23, 2013
Congratulations! It won't always be amazing, but every time will be a memory that you can all share.

Sep 11, 2013
Catalina 25 6106 Lake Erie Metro Park
Where on the boat did you attach the blue straps? In one picture it looked like they were attached to the forward mast stay wire's chain plates, in the other it looked like they were attached to the hand rail. Don't they get slack as the mast is raised?

May 19, 2014
Hi Mary. I attach the blue thumb straps to the middle shroud brackets on my '86 C22 using a quick clip caribeaner. I'm not sure if every year C22 has the same deck hardware. Unlike the fore and aft shroud deck brackets, the middle one has two connect points, one for the turnbuckle and another for, well, anything else. Although the straps do loosen from about the half way point and up while raising the mast, they provide adequate lateral support through the beginning of the lift. Past the 45degree mark they're not needed as much as I hang a good grip on the mast while my wife works the winch. I attach here because the brackets appear to be parallel to the mast pivot point.

You may have to zoom in to see the blue strap attachment points. I'll take and post better pics soon.

Hope this helps some.

image-2589568536.jpg

image-2680859932.jpg

Sep 11, 2013
Interesting......I had been attaching two 1 x 1 x 60" oak rails from the mast to two brackets attached to the cabin roof. Ultra strong and steady but a giant PITA to attach and remove. I was experimenting with replacing them with two cables but would like to eliminate the attachment points on the cabin roof and attach the cables to the chain plates. Never thought of attaching the supports, be they cables or rails, to the gin pole instead of the mast. How do you secure the gin pole to the mast? I'll be doing this solo so if the mast starts to shift sideways, there'll be no stopping it.

May 19, 2014
I built a T at the bottom of the gin pole to attach a bracket around the base of the mast. It's like a clamp:T part of gin pole on front of mast, bracket on back, held together by 4 lag bolts. I wrap the mast with a cheap area rug, about 20" x 24", to prevent scratches from the metal bracket. I had to beef up the L brackets on the gin pole T section to avoid bending them (again).

image-1534919301.jpg

image-3388799759.jpg

image-2428340148.jpg

I spliced together two gin pole designs I found on Google, one being a post from a Pres/Commander of a C22 area club in their newsletter. He used a block and tackle system for the muscle. The other guy used an old spare tire bracket for a trailer. He used a winch attached to the gin pole for the muscle. Both these systems are for raising the mast solo. I, well my wife actually as I steady the mast, use the trailer winch to save $$. I needed a new winch anyway, so I bought one that ratchets in BOTH directions. The old one had to "free wheel" without a brake when lowering the mast, potentially dangerous, plus it was rusting from the inside.

Hope this helps some.

image-1696673724.jpg

image-2367875779.jpg

image-2510146397.jpg

Sep 11, 2013
My goal is to be able to raise / lower the mast without any tools in less than 30 minutes, from secured for trailering to ready to raise the sails. I'm still working on a quick method for attaching guy wires to the mast. I'll post pix when it gets all done.

Tom G

May 19, 2014
My goal is to be able to raise / lower the mast without any tools in less than 30 minutes, from secured for trailering to ready to raise the sails. I'm still working on a quick method for attaching guy wires to the mast. I'll post pix when it gets all done. Tom G
I'd definitely be interested in a more efficient way to ready her for sailing. I think my kids would like me to speed things up a bit, too. Lol. I've seen people drill into their masts for attaching hardware for guys. Drilling anywhere on the boat makes me shudder a bit. Guess I'm still a little green at boat projects. Looking forward to what you discover.

Oh and thanks for signing your post, Tom. I would hate to call you Mary more than once. Lol.

May 19, 2014
Another short but good sail on Lake Nagawicka yesterday. We're the largest s/v on the lake, apparently, and receive a lot of looks/comments. It's surprising how many people come up to us to share sailing stories or tell us about their "other boat which has a sail".

I opened my Christmas-in-July present last night: a new Ruddercraft rudder. :). Didn't have a chance to use it yet, but it looks really sweet!

image-3645389390.jpg

Also, here's a better pic of the gin pole base that shows the blue straps on the side attached to the middle shroud bases.

image-3357770788.jpg

May 19, 2014
Ok, not really sure why I attached baby stays to the gin pole last year; we'll call it new guy error? I finished modifying my gun pole to be secured with a single ratchet strap rather than 4 bolts. Also, the end that hugs the mast actually hugs the mast, form fitting now with 3 shaped and sanded 2x4's rather than a squared metal bracket.

Other current projects include sanding off the old varnish then oiling the teak and installing a backing plate for the motor mount. The teak will look nicer, but losing my motor due to those 4 puny bolts breaking through the transom will be the real improvement I do this week.

Who knows? She might even see water, well besides more rain, this week. :)

Attachments

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
My rudder was in similar condition. After looking at the cost of paying for a new factory style rudder blade, or having someone repair it, or doing it myself.... I decided to eliminate the delamination problem, and get a better rudder design. So I got a ruddercraft kick-up.

When I ordered mine, they drilled holes for me so that if I wanted to order their mast crutch in the future, I could simply bolt it on.

I finally got my gudgeons installed and put the new kickup on last week. The instructions mention a "bungie loop" to be used when trailering. It's a mistake in the instructions, about something they no longer supply. Their current setup is a strap built into the custom Sunbrella rudder cover they sell, that also holds the rudder blade up during trailering.

As Don says, the gas strut holds the blade up or down, when in use, but also allows the rudder to kick up when it hits something. When trailering, there is a risk that the rudder blade will bounce down enough that the gas strut could move the blade into the down position. Hence the cover strap they have available.

They supplied a HDPE spacer block for use on either pintle pin. I have the CD retrofit upgraded 1/2" gudgeons, and the spacer block is too thick. I'll need to cut it down to fit.

I second the opinion of Ruddercraft, Catalina Direct. Both are small companies that know their stuff, and run their business like everyone else should. I haven't dealt with sailboatowners.com yet, (they are also RudderCraft Resellers), but I'm expecting they are the same.

Don: Eagerly waiting on the method they discussed with you.

EDIT: I need more coffee.. Just realized that the rudder portion of this thread is old. Oh well. Info is still valid.

Looking at these threads, most of us seem to work on the boats and not sail them.... LOL.
At least the rain makes it less painful. Nothing worse than a perfect sailing day spent with tools and varnish brushes.

Jul 21, 2009
Catalina C22 Padanaram
You need a "mast stop" which is a little slug that fits in the slot in your mast and has a knurned knob that locks it at any desired height. Got mine at West Marine years ago for about $12.
Paul

May 19, 2014
Ha! Sorry Leeward, didn't mean to lead you on about my resurrected thread. I thought I'd continue my "new" boat refurb progress in last year's thread. Maybe I should start a new one for 2015?

Btw, I love the Ruddercraft rudder with its kick-up gas strut design. Being able to let it slow drop in the water without having to loosen/tighten the lock from the original rudder is great.

Paul, I picked up a mast stop last year, but apparently forgot to mention it. Actually I picked up two because I didn't know what size to buy. Yep, only one fits while the other is a poor paper weight. :( Live and learn I guess. I have a sliding mast cleat as well that I'll probably use to secure the baby stays for mast raising. More on that when I have a chance to raise the mast.