Moving to Hawaii

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
Hey all
Plan on moving to Hawaii in the near future and am thinking about taking the boat. Selling it just does not make sense in the current market. My thouhgts are either sail her there (~5000 miles and couple of months effort) or truck her across the US and sail her from there.
Anybody know what kind of $/mile the moving company would charge for a 40.5' shoal draft?
Also any info on the avalability of slips in HI would be helpfull
we will probably be ending up in Honolulu and not the big island.

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Bill:

I would guess that $3/mile would get you to the coast. Then you would have to recommision her. May be a good time to replace the rigging while the stick is down ($1500-$1800).

You may want to check with some sailors that have made the journey from SF or LA to Hawaii. We made the trip home several years ago aboard a Santa Cruz 52 and it took about 12 days.

Jun 9, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Bayfield, WI
Hey Bill-
I have an idea! Let's trade! Emmanuel is in Wisconsin (1100 miles closer to the coast). You take Emmanuel to Hawaii and leave your boat in Quantico and that way I'll have a boat in VA that I all I have to do is take it to Annapolis which is where I want to be! What do you think???

Mar 21, 2004
Hunter 356 Cobb Island, MD
Bill, you better check on availability of slips BEFORE committing to this journey. About four years ago I was in Maui and spoke to several sailors and they all said slips were a huge problem - waiting lists was in the years....

Jun 6, 2006
Well PotL I'm thinking that a 5000 mile trip on Bardi Sea would be just what the doctor ordered as far as "stress reduction". From what Steve is saying I'm starting to lean toward the "sail her there" option. Sailing there is basically free as I'd have to eat anyway and the Panama Canal can't be that expensive. I'm thinking that single handing her is going to be somewhat of a challenge from the maintaining a lookout point of view. Otto can get her there but only getting 20ish minutes of sleep at a time brings back memories of my time in the desert with the Army.
The overland option is, even with your offer, $4000.ish. I’d rather put that money into the boat if it has to get spent. If we wait till the end of the school year I can “hire” my 15 year old son to help crew…… he works cheap!

Jun 9, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Bayfield, WI
Well PotL I'm thinking that a 5000 mile trip on Bardi Sea would be just what the doctor ordered as far as "stress reduction". From what Steve is saying I'm starting to lean toward the "sail her there" option. Sailing there is basically free as I'd have to eat anyway and the Panama Canal can't be that expensive. I'm thinking that single handing her is going to be somewhat of a challenge from the maintaining a lookout point of view. Otto can get her there but only getting 20ish minutes of sleep at a time brings back memories of my time in the desert with the Army.
The overland option is, even with your offer, $4000.ish. I’d rather put that money into the boat if it has to get spent. If we wait till the end of the school year I can “hire” my 15 year old son to help crew…… he works cheap!
Hey, hire me I am even cheaper! Mmm, don't think that came out right but you get my drift, right?

Oct 26, 2005
- - Satellite Beach, FL.
Hey all
Plan on moving to Hawaii in the near future and am thinking about taking the boat. Selling it just does not make sense in the current market. My thouhgts are either sail her there (~5000 miles and couple of months effort) or truck her across the US and sail her from there.
Anybody know what kind of $/mile the moving company would charge for a 40.5' shoal draft?
Also any info on the avalability of slips in HI would be helpfull
we will probably be ending up in Honolulu and not the big island.
I sent you a PM on this.

Apr 1, 2004
Diller-Schwill DS-16 Belle River
Better do some recon first. I was told back in the 70s that the waiting list was years. Maybe buying over there would get you a slip. jmho btw never got the job I was seeking.

Apr 20, 2010
Hunter 34 San Mateo
Merl: Actually, the canal is quite expensive. On a boat your size expect to pay over $1k. I think boats under 40' can get through for around $800 or so. They will llikely stick you with a beat up freighter to share the lock. Also, you will need a crew and have to rent large tires as bumpers.

--Dan

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
Bill, I have a contact there who should know; she's a long friend of my daughter who works on a dive boat and lived aboard her Catalina 38. I figure she should have the scoop. Anyhow, if you want me to run it by her, PM me.

I'd sail her. Not much you'd need to do really. However, I might be inclined to truck her to Mexico, like San Carlos, commission her there, and then head over from Cabo, Mazatlan or PV.

Jul 31, 2009
None None None
I suspect a Panama Canal transit will run close to $1,500. There are several fees that have to be paid and line handlers also.

Dec 2, 1999
Bill:

Check out Kaneohe Bay Yacht Club on Oahu. Nice place! I don't know about the availability but it is worth a look see.

Dec 2, 1999
Bill:

The mileage from SF to Oahu is about 2400 and LA to Oahu is about 2600. Panama to Oahu is about 5300.

At 125-150 miles/day, this is a very long passage (not to many AM/PM's to stop at for a hot dog and a slurpee).

May 24, 2004
Hunter 33.5 Portsmouth, RI
Bill, There are boat moving ships that take power boats and sailboats to distant places. There are some on the East coast that load up by partially submerging and floating on the boats. Then the pump out the "well" and all boats are high and dry on blocks and supports and tied down. I know that they go to the Bahamas and Caribbean for drop off and then over to the Med and other stops. They might have one on the East coast that goes into the Pacific. Some folks at our marina loaded theirs up in Newport, RI for drop off in the BVI's. I don't know about costs, but you can Google some transporters.

Dec 2, 1999
I believe that Dockwise is one of those movers. I think I got a quote to move a boat from the East Coast to Enseada, Mx. and it was about $15k.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Bill, you better check on availability of slips BEFORE committing to this journey. About four years ago I was in Maui and spoke to several sailors and they all said slips were a huge problem - waiting lists was in the years....[
Very true about Maui. I live on Maui, and most people trailer their boats here. I hear that the liveaboard situation is much better on Oahu, specifically in Honolulu.

eianm

Jul 7, 2010
Hunter 42 Sydney
Seven stars shipping line moved my boat from West Palm beach to Sydney Australia, but it cost $30k! They did do a great job and would highly recommend them - very careful and very proffessional.

Jun 6, 2006
Thanks folks for all the input. It is beginning to look like, provide there is a slip available, that the sail her there through the Panama Canal is the cheapest, followed by trucking her cross country and sailing from the west coast.
Now if I can just get the First Mate's new boss to buy off on a 60+ day vacation to move the boat ....... boy that would "just stink" having to sail through all those tropical waters with only her for company for over 2 months. I mean really, what would we do after a while...... ;-) Ain't life great?

Status
Not open for further replies.