Motors for Mac 26

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bob Moneypenny

I am considering buying a Mac 26X, however, it seems that the "dealer" recommended motor is in the 50HP range. I'm not sure if I need this much motor since I believe that I would prefer to use the boat as a displacement vesse (with ballast in the boat) not travelling in excess of 15mph but with enough reserve power in case of emergency. Can anyone give me some advice with respect to this.

M

Morris Rooms

Motor size

It is generally agreed on most BB's for Mac26X that either a 9-12hp motor if you do not want to get on to a plane when motoring so restricted to approx 6-7kts hull speed or at least a 40hp in order to plane (even with ballast onboard)at around 8-18kts. Cheers Morris 26X99 hullaballoo UK

B

Brad

Consider a Merc 30HP 4-stroke

My wife and I are very happy with our 1999 26x, despite small problems with cheap hardware - broken latch to the head, broken lower parts to hold rudders down, a rusting trailer with bent ladder (still works OK). We use a 1999 Mercury 30HP. It can die in midrange, but going either slow near port or "fast" on a ten-mile stretch it's great. Being in the same housing as the Mercury 40HP makes it relatively quiet, like a motorcycle rather than a weenie lawnmower. Merc is also cheaper than Honda. Mileage is OK - ours with no ballast drinks maybe two gallons on that 10-mile stretch at full speed. We carry a five gallon main tank, and up to ten gallons in spare tanks for big trips like around Lake Superior islands. How fast? About 12-15MPH. No waterskiing, but we fly into port. Speed can help outrun a storm or sunset. This and a slip near home make sailing after work realistic. Happy trails

Status
Not open for further replies.