motoring speed

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dave Struthers

I have a earlier (#4) 250, and had a Honda 4 stroke 8. My speed motoring was about 4.5 top in slack tide. Recently I changed to a Honda 9.9, extra long shaft, and run about the same speed only at lower rpm. My hull speed it listed at 6.2. This topic has come up on the 25/250 home page as well, and owners there report between 6 to 9 kn speed. I would like to know what speed some of you can motor at, and try to understand why my speed is so..... slow. Suggestions for improvemnet also appreciated. Yes, the hull is clean. Thanks Dave Struthers Sea minor #4

D

Dave Bolton

Hmmm

Hi Dave, I'm certainly no expert on this subject, but I have heard that it is possible to do better by switching to a high thrust prop which delivers more torque at lower speeds through the water. I believe that the standard props are more oriented toward fishing boats (higher speeds through the water). I know that some of the manufacturers (mercury, nissan) offer high thrust props. I don't know if Honda does as well. I hope that this helps. Dave Bolton Portland, Oregon C22 (w/ a Honda)

D

Dave Emery

C250 Motoring Speed

I had a 1997 C250 Wing Keel with a Honda 9.9 xtra long shaft motor. I was able to motor between 5 and 6 knots using 3/4 throttle and hull speed 6.2+ using full throttle. The motor was mounted in engine well integrated into the transom. Good Luck, Dave

R

Rick

Use a biger motor

I have a 22"Catalina and I am using a 15HP long shaft,and I dont have to mention how fast I can go. I pass almost every seil boat arroun, remember to clean the haul very well. Godd look Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.