motor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 31, 2004
Oday 322 St Clair Shores
I am looking to pick up a motor for my 170 which I have had for a year. I agree with some previous posts that the 170 doesn't need much wind to sail in, but a motor would be nice for coming and going from my dock. Since I will be using it for only a couple of minutes at a time, the noise/environmental factors really aren't an issue for me. I am planning on a two stroke because I want to keep the weight and cost down. I have had a hard time finding anyplace that sells 2 and 2.5 hp. The only place I have found is Cabela's and they only sell the Honda. Anyone have experience with the different brands, any preferences? What other choices are out there? Any fellow Michigan folks know of anywhere else to buy the small outboards? You know Michigan the Motor Capital of the world likes their BIG motors!

J

John

an opinion

Hey David, Those big huge motors at Cabelas are kind of fun to look at aren't they?? I tried to visualize on of them on the back of my 170. I can't decide if the whole thing would go down or if the nose would still be bobbing above the surface. Your mention that you wouldn't use your motor much made me think you might be interested in my two cents. I have a Mercury 3.3 that came with my boat, it is fine and it works great and all, but I have been considering an electric. I really only use the motor a few times a year for a few minutes at a shot, and I feel like I spend more time running the gas out of it and maintaining it than I do using it. I guess I am attracted to the electric because I know that I won't ruin the carberator from NOT using it (that was an expensive lesson!). john

C

Capt J

Another opinion

The electric idea would be fine except for the fact that you have to make sure that the battery is always charged and that it is good to begain with. The fact that you will not be using it much means that the battery life will be shortened as well. Then consider that fact that the battery will weigh as much as many small outboards as well. My suggestion, since youu are in fresh water is to check out the Briggs and Stratton four cycle unit. It is very inexpensive and the only reason that you would foul a carberator would be to leave gas in it. If you pull the fuel supply hose and run the engine out of fuel it should be trouble free for a very long time. Another thought is the safety aspects. If you ever and accident and you are unable to sail the gas engine will be able to propel you for a long distance at a reasonable speed which the electric motor will not. You can see the engine, along with several other choices at boatmotors.com. Good luck and good sailing.

Feb 7, 2005
Hunter 23 Mentor, Ohio
Cruise 'n Carry

When I had a 16' day sailer I used a Cruise 'n Carry to push it around. It was a 2 cycle with the gas tank included/integrated. Cost about $500 new back in the day. Not sure if they are still manufactured. Altogether it weighed about 12 lbs and sounded like a loud, angry bumblebee. It was fairly reliable and in spite of very limited HP, got me out of trouble more than once. I'm modifying an old rubber dingy to have a plywood floor and motor mount and would consider using this little egg beater again, especially if I found one used.

E

Edwin

For what it's worth

My came with a little Merc OB also with only the forward gear. No neutral. I didn't even know they made such a thing. When you started you were in gear and moving and imagine trying to pivot the motor to go backwards - it kicked my stern all over the place. You couldn't throttle it down enough without the engine dying. Gave the powerboaters quite a chuckle. I actually got someone to buy it and found a Johnson 3.5 with neutral and reverse. What a difference. I caution you though on the weight on the motor mount. Mine cracked around it so I had to reinforce with fiber glass and shorten the part the outboard attaches to to lower the center of gravity. Even when the motor was kicked up while under sail the whole mount would flex from side-to-side. And no, I didn't trailer with the motor attached. But through trial and error, including the gummed-up carb from lack of use and money to fix, the whole set-up is working fine and it's great to have when you need it. Hopefully you'll learn from my mistakes, thats why these forums are great.

B

Benny

Mercury 3.3 HP

The Merc 3.3HP is 27 pounds with an integrated gas tank. It retails for $845 at West Marine.

Mar 23, 2004
- - Paradise, CA
Trolling Motor for H170

My 2 cents: I how have an H216. My prior boat was an old Geary 18 that has to weigh far more than the 170. I used a trolling motor with a marine battery and was totally delighted. I had no problems keeping the battery charged. Got trolling motor at Wal-Mart. I rigged an "extension" cord for the motor so I could put the battery where I wanted and simply "plug in" the motor. Things I liked about it: 1. It was quiet. 2. It was quiet. 3. It was quiet. 4. I had about a three hour range. 5. When just fun sailing in spotty wind, I would sometimes engage the trolling motor when I was in a hole and quietly motor out to where the wind was blowing so we could play in the wind...my wife never knew I did this! 5. Many of our launch ramps are in a hole. Landing was far easier with a boost from the motor. 6. After a race, it made the jaunt from the finish line to the dock to the bathroom much faster! 7. It was *far* less expensive and less of a hassle than a gas motor. There was probably not enough power to run on the motor alone when the wind was honkin' and I never had to contend with tides. I was actually delighted with the extra capabilities I got at a reasonable cost.

JerryA

Oct 17, 2004
Tanzer 29 Jeanneau Design Sandusky Bay, Lake Erie
ebay?

David, There are several on ebay. Of course most are older. The B&S looks bulky. I use my Minnkota 46, but there have been times that I've thought of getting a little gas engine. I know you're really looking for a place locally to buy an outboard and not my opinion, but I do enjoy the quiet of electric. Good luck in your hunt. JerryA

Aug 31, 2004
Oday 322 St Clair Shores
Great Feedback!

This is why the forums are so useful. Post a question and get a wealth of info in no time. For those of you electric motor folks, I like the idea of the quiet operation and they seem to be much easier to find, selling everywhere, but the motor/battery combination weight seems much higher than the gas motors. Also, where do you put the battery (Jerry, I have seen your solution in the photo section) and what do you do with the cables? The 170 is such a clean design that I hate to clutter it up. It sure would have been nice if Hunter had built a storage area under the seats where a battery could be stored out of sight. For any of you with gas or electric motors, does the motor mount being off center cause any problem with weight distribution? The lightest I have found out there, the 2.0 hp motors, weigh in at about 27 lbs, does this cause a problem? I know it is only January, and a warm one at that, but I can't wait for spring.

Tereza

Jun 10, 2005
Hunter 146 Candlewood Lake, CT
Cruise-n-Carry - very lightweight!

I use a Cruise-n-Carry for my 146, and it is just fine. Noisy, but I don't use it for long - just in and out of the narrow cove where I dock. Weighs 12 lbs!!! Not sure if anyone has started making them again. If you google the words cruise, carry and motor, you will find some info on the internet. I've also seen them on ebay. Good luck!

J

john

My motor problems

"I know it is only January, and a warm one at that, but I can't wait for spring." Amen Brother!! Of all the motor problems I have had, weight is not one of them. The motor mount seems to work fine for me, lock the motor in place and steer with the tiller, and all is good. I think the weight of an outboard is insignificant in a boat that can hold 6 adults. My motor problems have been due to ignorance. This is my first boat other than a canoe. I took sailing lessons before I bought the 170, but I didn't take outboard lessons. My first outboard lesson was called, "you have to run the gas out of it or you ruin the carb." That was an expensive lesson. My second lesson was called, "It has to be IN the water when you run the gas out of it." That one was even more expensive!!! So I guess my attractions toward an electric motor is mainly due to my frustration, and my frustration is mainly due to my stupidity! I asked the repair guy what other bone head things I could do to screw this motor up, he said really I did the big two, I should be in the clear now. Except he can't explain why I break shear pins every time I use the motor!!! I am sure in the hands of a reasonable person the 2 stroke is a good option. It just that whatever part of the Y chromosome the small engine gene is supposed to be attached to is obviously deffective in me. Then again, if I liked engines I probably wouldn't have taken sailing lessons in the first place! Lets hope for a warm April so we can launch early this spring! John

May 11, 2004
- - Richmond, VA
2HP 4-strokes

I have a 2HP Honda 4-stroke (26 lb) which I use on a small 16-foot trimaran. I like it for the following reasons. 1. 4-stroke means I don't have to mix gas 2. The outboard gives me confidence that if I needed to power home a long distance, I could. I also cary some extra gas on board if I need it. 3. I also sail in tidal areas so extra power was important. I also own a H216 in whch I use a much larger and heavier 4HP 4-stroke. That would be too big for the H170 (but about right for the H216). I've always wondered how an electric trolling motor would work on my 16 boat, but I've not tried one (since I already have the outboard).

JerryA

Oct 17, 2004
Tanzer 29 Jeanneau Design Sandusky Bay, Lake Erie
How fast?

I have a question for you guys/gals using gas engines on your 170 or 146. How fast will your boat go? My Minnkota 46 on the highest (5)speed is barely enough to stay ahead of much larger boats in a no-wake channel. I had read once that props are designed differently for trolling motors and that reduces their speed capability, or am I all wet? It always seems like I'm moving along fine until somebody is sterngating me in a 35 footer, and I can't go any faster! That's one of the reasons I've been thinking of getting a gas engine. How long will a 2hp 2stroke run on what's in the tank? Let's say that you really needed to get back to the dock fast, how far could you get with what's in the tank? Anybody know? I know I could go about 3hours with my Minnkota, but it wouldn't be fast. I could always carry a spare battery, but that would be a pain. I too wish Hunter had provided a built in place for a battery under the seat. My battery is close so the cable is only a couple feet long, but it would have been nice if Hunter would have atleast provided a wire chase to run a cable to the bow storage area. I wouldn't be afraid of creating a chase within the boat if I knew where everything was located inside before I make holes. Anyone have pictures of a 170 opened up? JerryA

R

Rick S.

2 hp motor

I use an old Johnson 2hp 2-stroke to push my 170 in and out of channels between the launch site and open water. These are "no wake" zones, so I don't have trouble keeping up with traffic. On occasions when the wind rises above my skill/comfort level, I drop sail and motor back to the dock. With a stiff breeze directly on the bow, the 2 hp provides headway, but just barely. In a stiff blow or a storm, my options would be limited. Maybe the newer motors provide more kick. My motor has no clutch and no reverse. When properly tuned, it will troll very, very slowly without stalling. I just have to make sure the boat is pointed in the right direction when I yank the starter cord. Reverse is awkward but manageable by turning the motor 180 degrees. Speaking from experience, a busy marina is not the best place to learn or to practice such skills. The old Johnson has an integrated tank and at mid-throttle will run about 30-45 minutes on a tank, depending on the breeze. I carry an extra gallon secured with a bungee cord. When the boat is bobbing on the waves, refueling an integrated tank is awkward, messy and environmentally unfriendly. The archives are rich with previous discussions of the merits of gas vs. electric. Also short-shaft vs. long-shaft. A hull diagram in my 170 owner's manual shows a chase tube for a trolling motor cable under the starboard seat as well as an enclosure for a battery forward of the mast. A rep at Hunter told me that these ideas never reached production. My guess is that the space under the seats is open and unobstructed. A factory rep, or a 170 owner who has installed an access port in the seat area, could tell you for sure. I opted for an outboard mostly because I had access to an inexpensive old one. Electics are quiet, and excellent for quiet channels, but there's no weight advantage, no easy way to secure a battery and cables to the 170, and the amount and duration of reserve power available is questionable. Like everyone else, I'm looking forward to spring. In the interim, it's good to hear from fellow snow-bound sailors.

B

Brian

Honda OB

I ;have a Honda 2hp, air cooled with intrigal gas tank. Most of your questions seem to have been answered except that I can motor at 1/2 throttle for about an hour. It probably pushes me along at about 3knts. I have been in 8 ft. seas and it pushes me along fine. Its light and no trouble to own. But because it only has one cylinder it is noisy and not a smooth running motor. But with an extra 1 gallon of gas on board, it will get me back to the dock from a long way away. Brian

J

Jeff Wessel

Nissan 2.5 hp

I have a Nissan 2.5 hp 2 stroke that I bought online last year. It will push the boat a good 5 knots. It was very reliable in it's first year of service even though I only used it to leave and return to the dock. I also used it to trek about 1.5 miles of pen water once when I ventured far away from the launch and the wind flat died out. That is one of the good things about having the motor is that you don;t have to worry about exploring far from your launch. If the wind dies or you have an equipment failure, you can get back home easily. My motor is on of those that is in drive full time. It would be nice to have a neutral, but it is not critical to me. I bought it online for under $600. I can't remeber right now what site but if you google Nissan Outboard, you will be presented with plenty of sources to shop for one.

Status
Not open for further replies.