Motor Starting Intermittent

Sep 9, 2014
Catalina 30 WYC
I have a Catalina 400 and have been experiencing some intermittent starting problems. Starts first go maybe 50% of the time. When starting key is turned, you can hear the solenoid engage (click) but the starter does not engage the flywheel or turn it. Battery is good. Changed the solenoid on the starter motor so it is good. I'm wondering if it is a wire or connection issue coming from the starter battery? The problem occurs when the battery switch is turned to either Battery 1 (starting battery) or both. Any ideas?

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Depends on the type of starter, I mean to be able to diagnose this. Some starters' solenoids push the pinion into engagement with the flywheel; others rely on a Bendix where the turning of the starter motor causes engagement. Do you know which kind you have?

Any idea how old the starter is?

Have you tried hitting the starter with something and trying again?

Feb 8, 2014
Columbia 36 Muskegon
Most likely a loose or corroded wire connection between the start button and starter or the main battery positive to the starter. Inspect and clean all of the connections in the circuit. Also the main battery ground cable where it connects to the engine. Remove, clean both the terminal and and the spot where it connects. If you can route it that way, consider moving the ground connection to one of the starter mounting bolts. That puts the current right where it's needed without having to travel through the block.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Most likely a loose or corroded wire connection between the start button and starter or the main battery positive to the starter.
There is often a hidden fuse between the key switch and the solenoid. Find it and check it out.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Most likely a loose or corroded wire connection between the start button and starter or the main battery positive to the starter.
There is so much junk between the starter push button and the starter solenoid it's a wonder enough current EVER gets through. If it's anything like my starter, takes about 18A to pull in the solenoid with only 12V to push it through.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
There is so much junk between the starter push button and the starter solenoid it's a wonder enough current EVER gets through. If it's anything like my starter, takes about 18A to pull in the solenoid with only 12V to push it through.
That almost makes the case for another solenoid, to energize the starter solenoid. Not so crazy when you think about it, and inexpensive and easy to do. I added a glow plug solenoid, could do the same thing here.

Feb 8, 2014
Columbia 36 Muskegon
An easy test is to jump the solenoid input to the battery terminal with a screwdriver or something. A big spark will result so be careful. If the starter turns over every time it could be the switch or wiring. If it's still intermittent you know it's the starter. If you suspect the start switch , jump it's terminals together. If still intermittent it's the wiring. A mechanic would use a remote start switch, that's just a push button switch with alligator clips on it's wires. Connect the clips to wherever you're jumping and push the button. No sparks. You can get one at any auto parts store.
My Universal was doing the same thing, five or ten clicks before it would turn over. Jumping the solenoid gave the same results so I knew it was the starter. Changed that out and now starts every time.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Those Denso starters on Universal M25s are easy to "renew" on board. I did mine: polished the cummutator, cut back the mica, new brushes, cleaned and lubed the bearings - done!

Jun 15, 2012
BAVARIA C57 Greenport, NY
Had exact same starting issue on my Yanmar engine. Thought for sure it was the solenoid. My engine has a Maretron M200 engine control so it's a little different in that the starter voltage comes from the unit, not the key at the helm. Anyway I disconnected the electrical connectors from the M200 to the Yanmar wiring, cleaned with electrical spray cleaner and re assembled with Dow DC4 dielectric grease. Starter now works fine. I also think it wouldn't hurt to put an automotive type relay in the circuit to assure full voltage to the solenoid.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Check the voltage at the solenoid when you push the button. There is a common malady attributable to voltage drops in old wiring. In many instances the solenoid does not even click. The fact that yours is reported to be clicking may indicate something else may be at fault. A fouled connection or wire. Is the starter heating up when the solenoid is activated while it is not cranking? First check the wiring harness for any loss of insulation between the control pannel and the solenoid. Also chec that all connections are clean and tight. Be suspicious of pin connectors. Should the starter be heating up it should be bench tested. If it is just a mere intermitent voltage drop the usual solution is to add an auxiliary solenoid or rewire the circuit.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
Many yanmars need a relay right before the starter solenoid to allow it to really pull in. The click may be the solenoid dropping out cause of low voltage. Even universals occasionally need this as their starter solenoid takes a whopping 36A to pull the starter gear onto the flywheel (No Bendix).