Motor for Rhodes 19 centerboard

Jul 24, 2020
Oday Rhodes 19 Lake George
It came with a 1978 Evinrude 6 HP but the previous owner said it was unreliable. Looking at Yamaha 4 HP or 6 HP. Is the 4 HP enough with a few people on board?

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
We had an O'Day 19 that was the same boat. We had a 3hp Evinrude twin that pushed it just fine. However we used it on lakes and not on coastal waters or rough conditions. So depending upon your area and conditions, the 4hp could be fine. but I think I would go for the 6hp outboard.
BTW, what is wrong with the existing 1978 Evinrude 6hp? I think the older ones were built very well and I would prefer it over a new engine. The 2 cycle engines are lighter and easier to handle too. I have found that most outboard problems are a result of ethanol gas problems with the carb or on an engine that old you could have ignition issues. All fix-able as long as you can get parts.

Jul 24, 2020
The previous owner said it used to stall out. He assumed overheating and an impeller issue but it appears to run water through fine. He did not have "surface gap" plugs in it but I replaced with the correct plugs listed on the tag when I first got it. I just don't want to get stuck.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Another option is a Torqeedo electric trolling or outboard motor like the 503, which I use on my dinghy...........very lightweight, waterproof, no maintenance and no gasoline.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I have a tohatsu 6 on my H26 and it is more than enough

Jul 19, 2013
Pearson 31-2 Boston
A Rhodes 19 centerboard weighs around 1000 pounds. If I were buying an engine, I' say the ideal engine would be a 2.5 HP, and to not go above a 3 HP in any case. I would think the 6 HP would be causing the stern to squat, and is gross overkill. Unless you need to navigate in/out of a marina, many folks sail these with just a paddle on board.

Jul 24, 2020
A Rhodes 19 centerboard weighs around 1000 pounds. If I were buying an engine, I' say the ideal engine would be a 2.5 HP, and to not go above a 3 HP in any case. I would think the 6 HP would be causing the stern to squat, and is gross overkill. Unless you need to navigate in/out of a marina, many folks sail these with just a paddle on board.
I think the 4 and 6 HP both weigh 62 lbs. for 20" shaft and the 2.5 HP in the low 40s. No reverse or external fuel tank though.

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
anything over 2hp on that size vessel and you lose style points.

just saying:poke: