Motor for 26X -smaller than 50hp?

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mike Chrisman

I'm about ready to buy a Mac 26X. I've done a lot of research about it and it seems to fit my needs as a sailboat. It seems that everyone -including my local dealer- has these only with the 50HP motor. I'm not really interested in such a big motor. Any thoughts or recommendations from 26X sailors powering with about 10HP? Thanks!

J

Jim Bailey

Smaller Motor Mac 26X

Mike, You can put a smaller motor on the boat. It depends on you, and what you want, and where you plan to sail. 10 to 15 hp, will still push the boat just fine. Fair winds, and good sailing!

B

barrett

I've used a ten hp...

I've used a ten HP 4 cycle since day one, december 1999 on my 26X. Didn't want the big motor either, and I have never regreated my 10hp decision.One time I got caught in true gale conditions (registered 40 knot winds/22 ft waves via noaa, I thought I was dead)...AVOID THIS IN A MAC! Heck, aviod it in anything! Unless you have an extreme love of death defying acts, I DO think I could have gotten away from it if I'd had a fifty HP, but who knows? I do know that once I was in it, the waves were to big for any outboard to stay in the water no matter the HP...I like the lighter weight in the stern alot, I am not concerned with moving batteries and everything else forward, and

Status
Not open for further replies.