More on tuning the B & R Rig

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 11, 2006
Hunter H260 Traverse City
Clarification on tuning the B & R rig.

I have a H260 and have always tensioned the V1, RD1 and D1 stays at less than 20% of nominal breaking strength. Is V1 + D2 the "cap stay?" On my boat D2 is not adjustable.

BTW: I really appreciate the way Hunter continues to support owners of discontinued and out of warranty models with parts and advice.

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2008
Hunter, Island Packet, Catalina, San Juan 26,38,22,23 Kettle Falls, Washington
George, It's been 9 years since I sold by 95 H26 but I wrote an articule on tuning the mast on that boat. All the shrouds should be adjustable for tuning and the boat can be very nicely set up for great performance when tuned. If your boat has any shrouds without turn buckles then that needs to be corrected. You must first center the mast and rake it. We ran 2" of rake and tensioned the upper shrouds to 580# and the lowers to 480# using a "Loos gauge" and found this combo to work well. In after thought I think that I would not go lower.
Having a boom vang is a must and 18" jib tracks and cars make a huge improvement. I doubt that old write up is still around but tuning is not wierd science.
I've moved to a different type of sailing and don't have the H26 anymore but she still is a lovely and proud performing boat.
Ray

Aug 11, 2006
Hunter H260 Traverse City
Tuning the B & R rig.

Ray, I'm familar with your tuning instructions and they are still on Jim Seamans website at:
http://www.ayesail.net/sailing/MAST_TENSIONING_PROCEDURE.htm

I used your instructions plus the H260 manual to set up my boat when I first got it.

My take on tuning the B & R rig is at: http://h260.com/rigging/rigging.html

I was not sure what a cap shroud was. I've always used the diagram in my manual that refers to the shrouds as RD1, D1 and D2. I think I've figured out that V1 + D2 are the cap shroud. V1 & RD1 has turnbuckle, while D2 does not.

I've always adjusted V1, RD1 and D1 to a little less than 20 % of nominal tension and left it at that. That results in a slightly loose (not sloppy) leeward shroud. I too was surprised by Glens statement that racing boats like their rigs loose because I had read that shift of the spar during tacs was not good.

My interest was Glen's statement regarding the cap shroud and the effect it has on forestay tension.

Last edited:

ghen

Mar 15, 2009
2 216 St. Augustine
I said some classes like their rigs loose. Mostly smaller boats as they do not have controls such as runners and checkstays to control the rig. Larger boats wind up more as a rule. The leeward shrouds in those cases yet are under very little tension. I did not intend to imply that rigs are flopping around, although in some cases they are. The V1 is the cap shroud adjustment.

Status
Not open for further replies.