Monel Fuel Tanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 19, 2004
Island Packet IP 32 99 Forked River, NJ
Our M28OI has a 22-gal Monel tank (1978, mfd by Allcraft Mfg of Cambridge, Mass), and while it isn't painted, it has some kind of grey-green stuff all over most of the outer surface. I recently removed the tank to rinse out the sludge that has built up over the years, and not being one to leave well enough alone, I decided to sand and wire-brush the outside of the tank. It would appear the "stuff" on the surface is/was some kind of corrosion, because the surface is etched a bit where the coating was thickest. Seems odd, 'cuz Monel I supposed to be impervious to darned-near EVERYTHING! So, here I am with a nice shiny tank! Do y'all thinks it'd be better to leave the outside bare, or should I paint it? And if I DO paint, what'd be the best primer to use on monel metal? Jim s/v, the Merry Bee

Jun 4, 2004
Sailboat - 48N x 89W
Coal-Tar Epoxy

After a careful inspection, especially any weldments, I'd coat the Monel (and Aluminum or S/S) fuel tank with a 16 - 18 mil coat of coal-tar epoxy. BTW: Monel Alloy 4000, is a nickel-copper alloy containing 65-70 percent nickel, 20-29 percent copper, and small amounts of iron, manganese, silicon and carbon. This standard grade is highly resistant to the corrosive action of acids, alkalides and salt water. It has the same strength of mild steel. “Monel”, under the name Nickle-Copper is approved by ABYC for diesel fuel tanks, at a minimum thickness of 0.031" (0.79mm, or #22 Gauge). FWIW, Gord

Status
Not open for further replies.