Molds for 26D Dagger Board and Laz Hatch.

Nov 23, 2011
MacGregor 26D London Ontario Canada
Today I got right up inside the area under the V berth and undid my U bolt thing that attaches the boat to the trailer winch. It's a allot of fun under there! It was tight even with the big hold I have cut.
The U bolt was loose and had pulled through the shabby job of reinforcing from the factory. That's 2 layers of woven cloth.... That's crazy! There is a 3/4" gap between the reinforcement and the hull! I got the nuts off and the last of the foam from up in there out. (I'm not liking all the foam bits that keep appearing. It's too messy!)
After the fun squeeze in the V I decided to drill out the pop rivets on all the chain plates. They were all leaking. (It's a a Mac...) I went and got new 2" bolts, washers and nylock nuts. I got the long bolts so I can reach them easier when I put it back together.
I did put the aft one back together today. Lots of butyl under it! I need someone to hold the screwdriver for the others. I washed down all the gel-coat repairs I had sanded the day before and put another coat on. I hope that's it for most of the patches I did. But who knows... I'll take a close look and add any that I need to.
Tonight I went out and got 2, 5 gal fresh water tanks for the boat. I will hook them up together and vent them. I also picked up 2 Led 1156 bulbs for the lights I have. I tested one with the car battery.... There both blue!
I wanted white... I foresee returning them.
I started taking apart the motor trim mold I made. I will make a new trim piece for the other boat. It has aluminium stair noising right now...
Squeaky and Heidi drew our magnolia tree while I BBQ'd.
Tomorrow I'm getting my carb kit and a few other things.

Attachments

Nov 23, 2011
I didn't have time to get the carb kit or do anything to the Mac today.
I got done work a bit early and raced home got Squeaky and a few things like the air compressor (I still don't own a 12V one... Not sure why not...), wire, some tools and off we went on an adventure.
I got a call this morning from the storage place that has the "new boat" and they said I could come and get it today! It's a Siren 17. It looks like fun! (Has hiking straps!) It has sat neglected for 7 years and became property of the storage place 6+ years ago. (I saw it a few years back and then again this winter while snow shoeing.) I went to the office and asked them about it. Who owned it? They said they did. So I asked if I could have it... They said yes! For the price of removing it to! I could have got it earlier but with the time needed to work on the MacGregors and not having to pay storage while it was sitting there... I left it there. (Turns out that cost an adjustable kicker mount and a tiller handle.... They were there 2 mo ago...)
So I put air in the tires and pulled it out of the trees and field it was in. I added air to the tires because they looked flat. I was wrong! They just sunk down 3"! They must have been fine because when I got out of the mosquito infested tall grass and to a spot I could work on the trailer lights I checked the pressure and found I had put 60 lb in each tire! Oops!
I ran new wires for the lights and let air out of the tires and off we went home to do some power washing. It pulls nicely with boat and trailer at 1200lb.
The boat has been picked over and there are some parts missing. Nothing too difficult to fix or replace. I do need sails though and plan to make (Cut down.) a set to get me through this season at the yacht club. (Cash is tight while I'm working on the other boats.)
Here are the pictures. Note if it is green it is probably mold or liken, brown= Racoon poop, rusty= rust stains, and you can guess at the rest.
Video here of what it looked like before I removed it. http://youtu.be/tMoOIoGi76I
Video after power washing it for 4 hours! Here: http://youtu.be/LS0OIj_T6Ag

Attachments

Nov 23, 2011
Another day and nothing done to the Mac.... I did order some stuff. Handles for the sliding hatch and a couple wire through hull things. Then it was daddy daughter time. Heidi has tricked Jasmine into thinking that helping on the boat isn't for little girls.... She told her that holding the screwdriver isn't a little girl job... (I have to have a chat with her about that comment.)
I wanted to sand the gel-coat today but not with Jasmine playing outside.
I am going to put the new Siren 17 over at the shop tomorrow so I can have the driveway back here. I don't want to get gel-caot dust all ove it now that it is kind of clean.
When Heidi got home from work I went at more cleaning of the Siren. I fixed the rear hatch hinges and clasp, built and installed new pieces of wood for each side of the companion way. Everything was broken. Wood, fibreglass and the clasp.
I washed the inside today. EWWW! It was used as a Raccoon Port A Potty! Nasty! I tried some engine degreaser to get the oil and gas off the inside. Didn't work so well, but smells allot better.
Has anyone got any tips for getting the gas and oil off the inside of the cabin?
I am going to remove the wallpaper that graces the inside of the hull. Maybe after I get some of the oil etc off. I'm thinking of taking it to the U do car wash and using there foaming engine cleaner stuff... And there foam brush... I'll stay away from the wax until I get the stains out of the gel-coat.
Any tips for Racoon poop stain removal? Or any other stain removal?
I washed the rudder and saw it has a bungee type hold down... I'm going to play with that bungee hold down idea for the Mac's.

This Saturday and Sunday there is the June Bug Regatta at the Fanshawe Yacht Club... Come on out! Link; http://www.fyc.on.ca/news/2014/June-Bug-Regatta/
My dock mate has offered me his boat (Tub) for the weekend. I think I will take him up on it. Its a Cal 20... I think. I really want to go sailing!

Here are the pictures of the Siren 17.
I had to cut off a couple old 40mm Master locks. (Bolt cutters are at the shop so I used my jigsaw.) I cut the body of the lock. It's much easier to cut than the hardened loop part.

Attachments

Nov 23, 2011
Another day and not much in the way of progress with the Mac.
Because of the time lost with the Siren the last few days I have decided to work on the Mac instead of racing this weekend.
I did pick up 2 battery boxes, a carb kit for the 8hp Merc I'm putting on it and some hull and deck cleaner. And more SS nuts, bolts, screws x 10. I'm getting to know Laurie's Fasteners well. (It is so cheap! for what I paid at that orange big box store $22.60 for SS flat washers and 2 bolts. I got at Laurie's for $2.50!!!! I'm returning the washers! )
I tried to drop the Siren off at the shop but that didn't go so well... I took it to the car wash first to wash inside with the special soap (Pre soak and engine foam.) and brush. That made a difference! It still needs more hand washing inside ware I couldn't get with the brush but is allot better and allot less slippy.
At the shop I had arranged (About 6 weeks ago.) to have a parking spot vacant for the Siren. I followed up with 3 phone calls and one personal visit this week. The person is now refusing to move his vehicles or trailer that is on my property... (He rents one parking spot...) Afterwards I had a nice chat with the local authorities and they told me they will have a nice chat with him tomorrow.
I will arrange to put it ware I have the other Mac.

Attachments

Nov 23, 2011
I drilled more holes in the hull today! 2 1" holes for the 2 bilge pumps I'm installing.
I decide to put both outlets on the Starboard side up about as high as I could get them. So I cut a hole in the boxy area between the seat and the aft berth. (See pictures.)
I did it there because I know I get water backwashing in on the other boat and the through hull is just at the seat height on the Starboard side. I will cap that hole and do the same as I did today with this boat.
I found 2 other holes in the oddest place.... under the forward hatch cover right near the hinges... I was removing the hatch to bed it with Butyl and looked in the un-pluged hole to position my drill and driver and saw light!... Hmmm that's not supposed to be there. After I took the hatch off I found one hole near each hinge. Both had some sort of caulking filler at one time. Not now! (Check your boat's if you have a mystery leak. It would leak from there and go down the channel inside the cabin top to the outer edge of the upper liner. From there it would run down the inner lip to the lowest point and drip inside the cabin.)
So I have 2 more holes to patch when I have the polyester mixed next.
I removed the sliding hatch rails and hatch to do the same as well. Didn't find any extra holes.
I worked out the placement of the battery boxes and the fresh water tanks. (2-5 gal)
I need to put down a piece of plywood under the V berth so I can screw in the tank and battery straps.
I picked up a couple handles for the sliding top and 2 through hull fittings for wires from Heritage Marine this morning. I ordered them on Thursday. That's fast.
I used the hull cleaner on the Siren 17 today too. It still has a funky smell inside. I don't think it will last as I now have the interior fake leather vinyl lining removed. Ick!
It looks like I will be replacing the piece of wood in the bow as it's rotten.
Pictures.

Attachments

Nov 23, 2011
I got some hardware bedded with butyl today before it rained. I did the DB turning thing right beside the DB hole. It had worn away and allowed the line to wear into the fibreglass. (see pictures.)
I switched it out with another one for the working jib. I have Genoas for the boats so it won't be missed. I also made the hold in the cabin for the through hull access bigger. I was shopping and found the white cutting board that everyone has mentioned at Walmart. Previously I could not find it anywhere! So armed with what will be a new patch/ access cover I got the jig saw out again.
While it was raining I decided to try a different approach to the fibre glass staining on the Siren 17. (It's still in my driveway... I think I'm going to keep it around for a bit.) I got some drain cleaner (ACID) out and pored a bit on the seat in the cockpit. I rubbed it around with my scrubby with a handle and let it sit for about 10 min then rinsed it off.
Wow what a difference! That is some nasty stuff! But it works! I plan to do the interior with it and my garden sprayer.
I know I am damaging the gel-coat with the acid by removing a very thin layer of it. But I don't care so much about this boat. I will seal the gel-coat with Mop and Glow when I'm done. Also the raccoon poop and pee. Nasty stuff! (Don't ever clean up or touch raccoon poop if it is dry! Wet it first because there poop carrys a airborne bug of some type when dry!)
After I got cleaned up I went shopping again. I got gas filled shocks for the pop top and a bunch of new light fixtures and LED bulbs. (On sale this week at Princess Auto for $7.68 each for white 1156 bulbs.)
I also got a couple water proof bailing buckets. The type you keep your required safety stuff in. (One for each boat and tender.)
Because I had showered and was in clean cloths I decided not to work on the Mac with the fibreglass dust that is inside and played around with a few things on the Siren. I removed the rotten wooden hand rail form the cabin and copied it twice with some teak I've had kicking around for a while. I need to hit it with the router and round over bit before I sand and finish it.
I also made a new piece of wood to mount the keel winch onto. It's 6 1/4 wide by 1 1/4 thick. So nothing off the rack for it.
I took an old piece of teak I had from a aft rail I had picked up last year. ($10 garage sale. I had got it for all the SS hardware it had on it. That's the small half of it in the picture.) I ripped it and a couple pieces of pine to make up the 6 1/4 width I need and will run it through the plainer to get it down to the 1 1/4 thickness after I fill the drilled holes in it with sawdust and glue.
I found I have enough teak wood to do the companion way pieces too! I may even do the light, dark, light thing with it as well. It's just a mater of ripping and glueing... I don't have enough to make a rudder handle but that's fine as I have an extra one to use for now.
The side windows on the Siren are both broken so I was playing around with cardboard to see what a Mac shape would look like... I like it! Need more plexi.
So tomorrow I am taking the Siren 17 to work with me... Odd, yes. My neighbour needs access to the driveway for the pool construction crew all week. So he will move the Mac to his driveway and I will just tow the Siren with me. It's so light that I don't notice a change in the gas mileage in town! See pic. (That was just the car on the hwy today @ 120k/h.)
I went grocery shopping while I was out and noticed that sign... What is the world coming to...! No gluten in a burger paddy...
Next the signs will say; No Glutens were harmed in the production of this product. We do not test on innocent Glutens......

Attachments

Nov 23, 2011
I cut the piece of wood for the V berth battery and water tanks holder. I cleaned the V berth with the shop-vac then scratched it up a bit. I put a layer of weave under it and filled the water and battery holders with water for weight.
I also tried to figure out how to attach the new gas lifting shocks to the pop top.(Any ideas are welcome...) See pictures.

Attachments

Nov 23, 2011
You're supposed to put the water in the blue jugs, not the battery boxes ;)
That could explain the electrical problems... Lol
I got a new compass in the mail today. It's not really new but it is the same as I took out of the bulkhead and fits. I found it on Kijiji.ca for $50 shipping included. The sun shade is broken. I am going to use the on off the other compass.
I picked up some more SS hardware to install the pop top assist shocks. But I didn't get into the boat today at all.

Nov 23, 2011
I installed the pop top struts today.
In the wrong place!
I had measured and marked things out yesterday and noticed my mistake so I remeasured and marked again.
Well today I drilled the holes and installed the ball end in the wrong spots!
I decided then that I'd had enough of that boat today...
I'll be drilling more holes in the top tomorrow. Also will install the hinge for the Starbourd side storage and get the water out of the bilges so I can epoxy the bilge pumps in place.
I did get another coat of varnish on the step when I was varnishing stuff for the Siren. I figured if I screw up with wood it's easier to fix than fibreglass and gel-coat.
Here are the pictures;

Attachments

Nov 23, 2011
Rain and daddy daughter time kept me from fixing my pop top strut mix up today.
I did have sporadic times when I got a coat of primer and paint on the inside the cabin cover for the compass and the sun visor. I got 3 coats of white paint on. I will see when it drys if I need another coat.
I went to put the hinge on the Starboard storage lid and found I got the wrong screws. I got #6 and need #4's. The hinge came with screws but I'm not going there. I don't like the look of rust on a white boat.
Did one more coat of varnish on the step while I had it out.

Attachments

Nov 23, 2011
I found a different hinge for the Starboard seat cover today. Its SS, 6' long and only $34.
I am going to use it instead of the nickel plated one I have. (No rust!)
I found it at Laurie's Fasteners when I was getting # 4 SS screws to attach the nickel plated one.
I didn't get time to do much work on the boat today. My daughters school had a fund-raising art show that opened at 6pm and I had to hang my wifes art. (We are both trained artists.) After I hung her stuff I made supper and then went to the art show.
I did get one important thing done to the boat. I added anti slip compound to the teak step. The product is washed silica sand that comes in a little shaker bottle. It's great stuff for any surface that you want to make non skid. (This stuff is solid grains of white/ clear sand. The type glass is made of. It's not crushed like some products. Being solid it lasts a long time. The crushed stuff has tiny cracks in it and the cracks allow moisture to get in and in our winters it cracks the sand which cracks the paint or varnish... Ends up as paint failure.)
Since it was late when we got home I played around in the garage and put the anti slip on the step of the Mac and the winch holder of the Siren.
There is a picture of Jasmine running with her friends in there school yard. (White dress, back of the pack.) Note the logs, trees, dirt and natural look. We send her to the London Waldorf School. It's a really cool school! The kind of school both Heidi and I wish we had gone to growing up. I'll make a video of the playground next week.

Attachments

Nov 23, 2011
I got most of the hardware back installed with butyl tape today. Then I ran out of nuts... I foresee another trip to Laurie's tomorrow. (I'm going to ask to be put on the pay roll because I'm there so much. Normally I'd ask for contractor pricing but there stuff is so inexpensive! I can get a bolt for $.06 there or $1.97 at The big orange box store!)
After we ran out of nuts (I have no idea ware they have gone... They should be in the nut bucket with the rest...) we switched to putting the teak hand rails on the Siren.
After that I fought with the carb on my Merc... I finally got it off. I was having trouble getting the choke knob off. It comes out the front with the plate it sits in. Simply remover the big C clip inside...
Now I'm good to go with rebuilding it.

Attachments

Nov 23, 2011
I don't expect to get anyhting done in the next couple days. Today school finished for Jasmine and my wife Heidi. Jasmine graduated! She now will go to grade 1!
As for my wife... She starts 3 weeks of intensive Waldorf teacher training on Friday! In Toronto. (2 hours away...)
So it's daddy daughter week until next Saturday when I drive Jasmine to Montreal to meet her grandpa and get a ride the rest of the way to the island of sassy redheads and potatos. PEI. She will be ther for 2 weeks then Heidi flys out directly form Toronto after her schooling for a week. Then I drive our for a week and bring them all home.
(I have been looking forward to this time! A week of someone to hold the wrench or screwdriver then 3 weeks to myself!)
I will be able to get lots done and get a boat up north. And a great kick at the other Mac. too! Ideally get it done too.
We had the school year end picnic in Gibbins park after work today. Always a great time. About 1/2 the school showed up! Even with thunderstorms forecast! And it rained! Allot. Video link; http://youtu.be/gZ_5oqtwX88
After Squeaky's bed time I tough myself to make a eye splice. Well YouTube taught me... It's not pretty but it will work.

Attachments

Nov 23, 2011
I got the carb for the 8hp Merc ready to take apart. (I'm just gong to double check it's the right kit I have. I've had it all apart and back together already.)
Also cut white plastic pipe for anchor holders for the boats.
I'll bolt them to the bow pulpit.
I have decided to go this way because it's simple. And a bow roller will mess up the haws pipe location.
Tomorrow after work the Mac goes back in my driveway so I can work on it.

Attachments

Nov 23, 2011
I rebuilt the 8hp Merc carb tonight after Squeaky's new and improved bedtime. (Mom left today for 3 weeks of Waldorf training. See pic of happy mom and dad with crying little girl...)
The worst thing about the rebuild was getting the small C shape ring back into place. (45 min!) That's longer than the whole job should have taken...
I finally got it in with the hep of hthe blunt end of a drill bit.
I put everything back together and on the motor too.

Attachments

Nov 23, 2011
Wit the Mac next door and bobcat's creping up and down the lane way I didn't do anything to it. It's looking like Thursday is cement day for the pool deck. Just the cement base... the pebbled surface comes after that.
(Having been a contractor I have to say I'm less than impressed with the bunch of ........... that are building the pool, pool house, concrete, finishing, plumbing etc. next door. I'd be lived! It was supposed to be finished last October! However rain washed out the fall. (I'll give them that.) But........... Its June 23! They started right after labour day last year!
If my guys (even sub trades) worked like that they wouldn't be working! I've had a job sit through the winter unfinished (Paint) and guess what got done first thing in the spring... The one that's not done.)
I shouldn't complain as it's not my pool/ house. I'd like to have unfettered access to my driveway though. But it's not all my driveway... Yet. Half is there's. They are giving us 4' of property for putting up with the whole inconvenience. (Nice!)
6 years ago they owned the house 2 doors down. Then when the one between us that we shared a lane with went up for sale they bought it and moved in. Tore down there old house and built this huge magnificent house. Then they moved in to it. Then they tore down the house between us and built a huge (Got to be 3 1/4 story's high.) 2x2=4 car garage. Last year the pool was supposed to be finished...
It's been a long time.
I did go and get fuel for the OB today. (On the second trip out... The first trip ended up with the 04 Saab needing a boost...) Premium 91 octane at Shell is $1.55/L today.
between playing with Jasmine I did a few things to the Siren. (I have the mast off so I could change the blocks to accommodate more and larger diameter halyards.)

caguy

Sep 22, 2006
Catalina, Luger C-27, Adventure 30 Marina del Rey
I
I have decided to go this way because it's simple. And a bow roller will mess up the haws pipe location.
Tomorrow after work the Mac goes back in my driveway so I can work on it.
You can always mount your bow roller off to the side of your chain plate. You can also relocate you're running light to the bow pulpit and put your roller there. It would not interfere with your haws pipe.if you're going to do any amount of anchoring you will really want to have about roller, especially if you have 20 feet of chain to pull up. I anchored off Paradise Cove last weekend and overnight drifted into some heavy kelp. it really helped in pulling the boat through that stuff.

Nov 23, 2011
You can always mount your bow roller off to the side of your chain plate. You can also relocate you're running light to the bow pulpit and put your roller there. It would not interfere with your haws pipe.if you're going to do any amount of anchoring you will really want to have about roller, especially if you have 20 feet of chain to pull up. I anchored off Paradise Cove last weekend and overnight drifted into some heavy kelp. it really helped in pulling the boat through that stuff.
Thanks Caguy. I'm still figuring the bow roller vs none idea.
One thing is the amount of chain... Everyone tells me that no more than 6' is needed up in the NC. I know the more chain I have the better the hold... Even on a 5 lb anchor 20' of chain would probably hold my boats fine. It's the 20' of chain and gravity that are doing the work.
I haven't cut the hole yet. It's looking like it will be off to one side anyway.
So the roller will have the other side of the bow.

Today I rebuilt the water pump on my 8hp Merc. I hadn't had the bottom end off this motor before. What a pain! I had to come in the house 3 times and look up on line exactly how it comes apart.
There is the shift linkage at the top in the motor housing... It has to be unlatched and pulled strait out to release the shift leaver. (Mine is the first year of the twist grip shift system... I don't know if they still offer that...)
I changed the gear oil and added a fin extension to the rudder side of the drive unit. I made it out of some plexi like stuff I picked up. (I can't remember what it is called...) I pop riveted it to the existing fin. It's great to put on the fence of your table saw or router table! It cuts and works nicely with wood working tools too. (I've used a thicker piece of it to make a special motor mount for my Saab.) I'll pop the bottom end back on tomorrow. I hope it goes better than taking it off!
I couldn't find the Vaseline to lube the new impeller so I used engine assembly lube.
Here is what I do with the old lines I'm replacing. I give them to the little girl. She swings like a monkey!

Attachments

Nov 23, 2011
I put the old halyard through the wash today. It was slippery it had so much stuff growing on it. I washed it with my old work cloths.
I got the bottom end back on the 8hp Merc today. It wasn't as difficult as removing it. I recall having a more difficult time getting the bottom end back on my 7.5 Evinrude last year.
I also put the Mac back in my driveway today. The concrete work is done next door. They finished on Sat.
Since Friday I've been to St Felix de Valois in Quebec. Driven 800km there and 800km back. Went on Friday and returned Sat. The reason for the trip was to drop my daughter Jasmine off with her grandpa so he could take her the rest of the way to his place in PEI. In Canada you can't put your kid on a plane as an unaccompanied minor until they are 8. In the USA the age is 5. (I couldn't get a direct flight from Detroit...)
Why St Felix de Valois.... My wife's aunt Hermia and uncle Roc live there. And it is as close to half way ware we can stay with family.
We left London Ont. at 6 am and got there at 4pm. (Traffic in Montreal.... It added 2 hours to the trip. And we stopped at the big apple in Colborne. Hi Brad. I did a video of our visit here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Gi7sE9JDPU )
Coming home I left Sat at 8 and got home at 5. I only stopped for coffee and fuel. $1.43/L !!!!! Still cheaper than the coffee.
Tomorrow I'm back to work and after work.... I get to work on the boat without any distractions! Yea!
Tuesday is Canada Day. I will be with friends taking in the local festivities.
Here are some pictures.

Attachments