Molds for 26D Dagger Board and Laz Hatch.

Aug 8, 2012
MacGregor 26s Brighton
Chris
I may be interested in the rudder ( so long as Marty doesn"t want it ), depending on $ replacing may be easier than doing some repairs on my current one :) I just re did my tiller ( its looking good) and sail wise I am in decent shape.

thanks, Chapster5

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2011
MacGregor 26D London Ontario Canada
Chris that sock dryer will come in handy as you will need lots of changes of socks when your are labouring over all that teak on the deck.
What is the boat anyway?
I'll send you a PM about the sails.
Nothing done to the boat today.... I'm sicker than I was the other day... Not fun!

Nov 23, 2011
Chris
I may be interested in the rudder ( so long as Marty doesn"t want it ), depending on $ replacing may be easier than doing some repairs on my current one :) I just re did my tiller ( its looking good) and sail wise I am in decent shape.

thanks, Chapster5
Good to see you on the forum chapster5! Hope things are well.
I'm covered when it comes to rudders. I am taking him up on the sails when ever we can meet up.
Did your rudder break? I recall seeing hair line cracks on the sides when we met last year.

I didn't get anything done again!
Both squeaky and I were home sick. And it rained...

We had a nice daddy daughter day though. We drew pictures, sculpted with this cool extruded packing material type stuff.(playmais.com) It's made of corn starch and comes in a bunch of colours. You dab it on a damp cloth and it will stick to about anything. I made a mouse. We also made brownies and watched 3 episodes of Road to Avonlea. (I'm getting her ready for a couple weeks in PEI at the grandparents once school is out.) They live 5 km form Cavendish and the whole Ann of Green Gables Mecca. She is going to have a blast!

I was looking at my compass yesterday and found the leak... Now I need a new compass. It's one of the built in ones too so I have to get the same type as a replacement.

It looks like thunder storms again tomorrow... So I'll glass the other rudder.

I mentioned that I planted grass seed... It's doing great with all the rain!
Pic is Squeaky and the baby grass two days ago. It's about 1.5" high today!

Attachments

Aug 8, 2012
MacGregor 26s Brighton
Finding41

No my rudder hasn't broke, just as you said some cracks and some pieces have come off the side at the top hole, still works ok just another one of those items that need some luvin :)

Glad to see you are keeping busy and I like your new business venture, hope all is going well. Been a long old winter and damp short spring !! Like everyone else we are at least a month behind on items here at home ( which translate to month behind with the boat), if all goes well will have the boat at the club this wkend. We lucked out joining the club when we did, on a mooring ball last year to start the season but luckily we were able to use a dock for about half of last summer and then this year we were permanently assigned a dock !!

Once again timing is everything :)

later, Chapster5

Apr 24, 2006
Aloha 32 Toronto, Lake Ontario
Chris

thanks, Chapster5
I tried to PM you but kept crashing. Marty does not want the rudder (he is starting his own collection :) :) :)). It's in excellent shape with only a few dings, airfoil shape (people keep saying the stock rudders are not).

Make me an offer. I'm in Kitchener but we are may be going to Kingston this weekend. Also going to Peterborough in a few weeks. Might be able to make it work...

Let me know.

Chris

Nov 23, 2011
I didn't get to the other rudder today.
I did get some drawings worked out for the arch and put another coat of gel-coat to the low spots on the boat.
I also learnt how to braid yarn once I walked in the door from work. "Daddy I have to teach you just one thing...." Then the other things got in the way. Pull the dandelions, Make dinner, wash the kid, find a oat cake recipe (Great excuse to watch Alton Brown on YouTube. Still no recipe.) Read to kid, etc.

I got these great photos of bunnies from a customer. I saw them on the side of the road and stopped to take a picture. (You don't see bunnies like that very often!) One of my clients was standing across the road with her camera. I mentioned that I wished I'd been here an hour before to catch the right light and she told me she had. She sent me the photos tonight! Her name is Wendy Farrow. Add .com to her name and you have her website. She is an artist.
Here is a picture of the water beading on the fresh gel-coat..... When It rained right after I put it on!!!!!!!!!!!
Also a picture of the packing type stuff Jasmine sculpts with. And the braiding (I think it's a series of half hitches.) I did the brown and yellow one with Jasmines tutelage. The baby grass! Look at that. 2" tall!

Attachments

Aug 8, 2012
MacGregor 26s Brighton
I tried to PM you but kept crashing. Marty does not want the rudder (he is starting his own collection :) :) :)). It's in excellent shape with only a few dings, airfoil shape (people keep saying the stock rudders are not).

Make me an offer. I'm in Kitchener but we are may be going to Kingston this weekend. Also going to Peterborough in a few weeks. Might be able to make it work...

Let me know.

Chris
Chris
Sent you a reply PM with contact info so we can talk, I am like 2 mins off the 401 ( easy to find, Marty has been here ).

later, Chapster5

Nov 23, 2011
I finished getting the bathroom painted.... It took 45 min.
No rudder work today but I did try and braze one of the feet for the arch together tonight. I think it looks OK but the test will be when I whack it with a hammer and see if it stays together. I'm going to pry at it like I did to the test piece I couldn't break.
This stuff is different to use. You don't want the aluminium too hot like regular braising of steel. This you only want to heat the pieces up until the rod melts. (750*F) (I think aluminium melts around 1250*F.) You don't want to get anywhere close to the aluminium melting or everything goes sideways... Fast too!
I'll test it tomorrow.
Tomorrow I'll finally have a afternoon and eve free of distractions!
I am making modifications to the arch in my head and on paper all the time. I think it will go well once I have the correct angles for everything. I'm going to have to clean off the back work bench to bend my tubing before I can go too far. (I have to get the snow blower out of the garage too. I usually keep it in the shop but it's not quite June yet and with this weather....) The back bench is attached to the garage really well so I'm going to bend the pipe there. Unless I find an easier way in my travels tomorrow.

Attachments

Nov 23, 2011
Well I whacked at it with the hammer. Nothing.. Then I tried to bend it with vice grips on the base and my hand on the tube... Same...
Then I put the base in the vice and put my tuning fork handle in the tube and it started to crack.
So I'm not going to braze the bases.
I found a guy to TIG them for me on Kijiji.ca. (I was looking for a deal on a 110 TIG welder machine....) I called him at 8:30 tonight and he said he had time now... So I took them over and he whipped them up.
I'm happy with the outcome. And they are so much stronger!
I showed him a picture of the braze I did and he said it looked good. Then I showed him a picture of the other side of the braze... with the crack. He said it is tough to keep the heat even all around the tube with a propane torch. (I know...) That's why it broke on the one side and not the other. I tried to break the other side but it isn't going anywhere.
On another note; I went to the dental surgeon today... $130 for 40 min and he didn't look in my mouth! That's $195/hr!
I broke a tooth 2 weeks ago and my dentist hooked me up with a this guy to pull it. (He didn't. We just talked about it. I have to make another appointment for that...)
On the form I had to fill out it asked who caused today's visit... (An odd question... Deserves an equaly odd response.) I said it was caused by...
Orville Redenbacher

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/15...=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=1565302222
Above is a link to his book. (I think the Canadian, American and perhaps World dental associations actually created him!)

Here are the pictures.
Tomorrow I can get going on bending the arch pieces.
I picked up a piece of 5/8 plywood today to reinforce the transom ware the ladder is attached and pushes in on the hull. I don't want that to be a problem area. I will sandwich chopped strand mat between it and the wood then give the wood a coat of resin.

Attachments

Nov 23, 2011
I didn't get to the bending the arch tubes today. My wife had an appointment and Squeaky couldn't go with her... So it was a daddy daughter morning. We went shopping! First Lens Mills to check for a Sunbrella color, then Heritage Marine for a compass (mine popped last winter... Didn't find one.), a bunch of SS bolts an nuts, and anchor chocks.
Then off to Princess Auto for a big wire wheel for my drill. The out to the storage place ware I have the other boat to pick up the new compass form it. The to Extreme Marine to order a Haws pipe, and pick up a new vent plug for the water ballast, and measure battery boxes and covers. Then Talise for a princess dress. Slim pickings today. No new dress for the princess...
By the time we got home it was 12:30. After lunch I got to work on the transom piece.
I got inside the laz and wire brushed the whole inside with my new wire wheel thing. (I'm going to paint the whole interior in the end so I figure do all the prep now.)
I cut out a piece of cardboard and traced the hull shape then cut that out. Fit it in the laz with a bit of trimming. Then I traced the cardboard onto the plywood and cut the plywood. I then cut my fibreglass for the in between layers. I used 2 layers of the weave I have. I figured it would be a bit stronger than chopped strand mat. (Who knows...)
I layed up the 2 layers of glass and installed it in the laz. I used screws with nuts as washers to hold it to the transom form the outside and cut wood braces to push form the inside out.
It's crazy strong now! I'll give the wood a coat of resin in the next day or two. I am going to fill the holes along the bottom of the board that I drilled and put screws in. I am going to spray gel-coat one the transom when I'm done to clean things up a bit.
After all I did today I took Heidi out for dinner for heer BD that we missed last week because we were all sick. (That's a moca ice cream cake. Jasmine opted for ice cream but after staring down her mom's she dug into it too.)
Here are the pictures.

Attachments

Nov 23, 2011
I did a tone of little things and running around today. Then BBQ'd/ smoked chicken breasts dressed with Jamaican roasted garlic seasoning. MMM!
My left wrist is sore and bruised from hitting a steel fence post while starting my OB. (The one in the picture in front of the OB.)
I got the garage clean enough to bend one of the aluminium pipes for my arch. So I bent a pipe. That didn't go so well... I had too tight of a curve (1 gal. paint can.) and kinked the first one. That's OK as I was bending with a margin of redundancy. So I could try again and still have enough pipe to make the length I wanted.
The second radius worked better! (Bleach bottle.) I actually got it to bend!
I took the wood supports out of the laz and unscrewed it. It is stuck hard! It is going to make a huge difference in the strength of the transom. No more bending and flexing fibreglass! I'll remount the hardware after I paint inside the laz and gel-coat outside.
I got the Ob running today. I put in new plugs. The old ones were kind of black... (I guess I have been over doing it with the oil.)
I need to order a carb kit and water pump kit this week. It's starving for fuel. It's not idling like I want and the water stream stops at low idol! It wasn't like that last fall when I put it away... I think one or two of the flaps on the impeller has given up.
I picked up a new 6 gal tank Friday and had forgot to bring the hose to get new connectors. Mine leak... (That could be contributing to the rough idol and stalling at low rpm... I'll check that before I get the carb kit. I need another hose set up for the other boat as well. I want to keep them all the same.) Can I just get the rubber O rings for the Johnson fuel connectors? I didn't see any at the marine store in that section.
I figured out how my wind finder thing goes together. I'm not putting it on the boat. I will put it on the Siren 17 when I get a chance. I just came across it in a box of boat stuff and wanted to know.

Attachments

Nov 23, 2011
I was going to reattach the deck hardware today but... Hey it rained! Oh well. I got the grass cut while I was waiting for a buddy to come over and give me a hand. And I planted onions in my wife's new wild flower garden... (In the shape of a hart. That's her dancing with the rake wearing a dress and rubber boots. She is going to kill me.)
I put a new plastic wire wheel on my B&D ........... . I found it at a garage sale for $2 and thought that it looked dangerous as heck. I think it was made before safety standards became law... I got the plastic wheel so I can clean off the deck under the hardware without marking the deck if I slip.
I picked up my new haws pipe today and a new impeller for the OB. It's not pumping as much water as I want it to at idol... I ordered a carb kit for it today too. I will pick up a new horn cleat for the anchor tomorrow. I'm not keen on the plastic one.
Yesterday I installed a vice on my 'marble" work bench in the garage. Fixed my compressor... Mice! And it went pooft the other day... (It blew off the safety shut off hose. Its 12 years old and this is the first thing I have done to it... It's a 2hp CH that says made in the USA on one sticker and made in Taiwan on another...?) I also moved a bunch of things around in the garage to make it a bit easier to work inside without something being in the way. Right now my 30" snow blower is taking up 1/4 of the garage! I'm going to take it to the shop and stick it in the shed someday...
I washed the pop top covers yesterday too.
Tomorrow I am going to cut a hole out of the seat on the Starboard side and make place for battery's and bilge pumps.

Attachments

Nov 23, 2011
I caught the mice that were living in the compressor! I gave them to Jasmine. She loves them! They are now house mice. My wife is horrified!
I went Lens Mills to pick up a fid. They don't have fids. So I got a pair of knitting needles. I was told they were hollow. Perfect! Just cut the end off and I've got a fid.
Today there was a give away with every purchase... So at the cash I asked about the free gift. I was told to go to the shelf with all the hair products... I'm bald! It's quite noticeable too! So I made a comment saying something like, What am I going to do with hair products...?
Well on the bottom shelf of the hair stuff was... Cat toys! So I grabbed the grey one and went back to the cash. Then the cashier told me I could actually have 3 free gifts. And that her cat can loose a single mouse very quickly. So I got a mouse of each color! On my way back to the cash I told her I don't even have a cat! She gave me a funny look. Then I told her I have a 6 year old daughter that will just love the mice. Another funny look... and she rung me out.
When I got home I put the mice in Jasmin's room then strait to the garage to cut open my new fid.
Well they sure aren't hollow... I did drill into the end of one and it should work fine for the splicing I'm going to do.
I also got at fibreglassing the holes inside the cabin. I just filled holes with chopped strand mat.
I also got to tapering some of the holes on the deck. Then replacing bulbs in the car. I had to mill out a bit of the light housing to get the plug and bulb in. It got melted a bit. And fixing the lawnmower at the shop. It needed a plug.

Attachments

Nov 23, 2011
I didn't get a thing done to the boat today. A longer day at work and daddy daughter time right after work until bed time cut into my boat time. I made burgers and pasta as well as a smoked new baby potato salad. MMM!
I did take Squeaky shopping for SS hardware. The other day I picked up a new 6" galvanised cleat for the anchor and want galvanised bolts for it. I'm going to have to go to a fastener specific store to get them... Only thing I can find in the hardware and TSC stores is carriage bolts. No hex head...?
A new to me main sheet came in the mail today. I'm going to use it on the Siren 17.

Attachments

caguy

Sep 22, 2006
Catalina, Luger C-27, Adventure 30 Marina del Rey
I didn't get a thing done to the boat today. A longer day at work and daddy daughter time right after work until bed time cut into my boat time. I made burgers and pasta as well as a smoked new baby potato salad. MMM!
I did take Squeaky shopping for SS hardware. The other day I picked up a new 6" galvanised cleat for the anchor and want galvanised bolts for it. I'm going to have to go to a fastener specific store to get them... Only thing I can find in the hardware and TSC stores is carriage bolts. No hex head...?
A new to me main sheet came in the mail today. I'm going to use it on the Siren 17.
You can get SS carriage bolts at West Marine.

Nov 23, 2011
Thanks Frank. I got the bolts today at a place I hadn't heard of before. http://www.lauriesfasteners.ca/ What a deal! I'm going back just to stock up on extra fasteners. I was told about them from a local hardware store I frequent. http://www.coppsbuildall.com/
I like to support the little guy when I can.
The closest WM is 2+ hours away in Toronto.

I cut some holes in the interior today. Is that ever satisfying! It's kind of neat to see how the inner hull is attached to the outer hull too.
I used my jigsaw with a metal blade (Small teeth.) and first cut open the Starboard side storage area then went at the V berth. I'm going to reinforce the fibreglass and install plywood covers over the new holes.
I'm going to put both battery's and the water supply under the V berth. An attempt to keep the boat level... Here are the pictures. Note how shiny and clean it is inside. Not any more!

Also you will notice I am wearing shorts! (And a T shirt.) while cutting fibre glass... Don't try that at home! I was so lathered up with sunblock that I was protected from the tiny glass pieces. I don't know if that will work fore everyone.

Tomorrow I'm planning to get some of the wood reinforcements in and if I'm lucky start building the storage solutions I'm working on. Up front under the V berth I'm going to install storage for the anchor rode. It will come through the deck via haws pipe and down through the cabin via a white PVC pipe. I'm going to make an extra companion way hatch cover with the scrap from cutting the V berth. I'm not all that keen on the faded plexi one on this boat now. it's faded and you can see into the cabin from outside.

Attachments

Nov 23, 2011
I went back to Laurie's Fasteners today. I took Squeaky to give my wife a break. (She is a teaching assistant in her kindergarten class at her school. So they are together all the time.) I needed more SS screws and another couple bolts for another horn cleat.
I found these great big SawzAll blades! Big... No. Huge! (see pic)
I can't believe how low the prices are for SS hardware! I got 240 1 1/4" #8 wood screws for $.01 each! $2.40 pus tax. After that we went to a local farmers market. (It's mostly a joke. 90% of the vendors go to the Toronto Food Terminal on Friday and pick up "there" produce. Think locally grown Chilean apples... ) We went to see the baby things. (lambs, goats and chicks of all sorts of feathered things.) Lots of fun.
After wards I got to work on fixing the holes I made in the boat yesterday. I ripped the wood and installed it. I used a few screws and polymer glue to attach the pieces. I know the wood will be much stronger than the fibreglass that was there. See the one picture with the blue dots. Those dots are ware there were bubbles in the gel-coat... Between the white gel-coat and the blue... Blue! Yes it seems like they were trying to use up some old blue gel-coat before putting the first layer of glass on the mold...??? There is no reason to have blue gel-coat on the inner molds. On the lower hull sure. For the coloured lines. It would be the 2nd thing they do in production of the outer lower hull.
I had to use the skill saw to rip the pieces because the table saws are at the shop and I was too lazy to go get one.
That's all I did on the boat today. We were invited to a friends for dinner and I washed the cars and fixed a headlight relay for one of the SAABs when we got home. (Who puts a circuit board on its end and holds it with soldered pins... Great idea! The solder cracks and you get crazy phantom headlight problems...)
Tomorrow morning a buddy and I are reinstalling the cabin hardware with butyl tape.

Attachments

Nov 23, 2011
I got a bunch of the hardware back on the deck today. My buddy could only help for 2 hours so.... Not half as much as I had hoped.
We did the two life line posts closest to the cock pit, the SS rail on each side of the cock pit, the traveller, and a few other things. The butyl was extra sticky today. It was in the sun.
I found out why my light on the front of the boat didn't work... It was unplugged form the wire connectors inside the bow pulpit... Looks like it rotted off inside there. I'm going to get new wire tomorrow and fix it properly.
I did a bit of inventory and sorting out of stuff too. I unwrapped the new 300' roll of line I got in the winter. I don't think I've ever seen new line. I know Jasmine hasn't. (I told her it could be a 300' skipping rope. Then I said she could have as much of the old line as she wanted.)
I looked inside the top of the mast. That's a heck of a climb. I have to replace the main turning block. (By the look of the block I think this boat has had some use before me.) I am going to run another wire for an anchor light too.
I waxed the car this evening and thought I'd do a spot on the hull... First wax pic is just after application. 2nd is after I polished.... I may need to use a bunch of compound on it. (Or Mop and Glow.)
Tomorrow I hope to get the rest of the hardware bedded. (It's all bedded now but I can't tighten it without someone holding the bolt from above.) If buddy doesn't pan out tomorrow I will get Squeaky to help.
Back to Laurei's tomorrow for washers and nylock nuts. I've lost a bunch inside the liner...

Attachments

Nov 23, 2011
I sanded the gel-coat repairs I did today when I got home from my leisurely 20k walk. I need to hit them again with another coat to fill the low spots. I used my random orbital sander with 120 grit paper. A bit aggressive but I needed to really clean things up for the next coat. Should be in a few days. (It's raining again in Ontario....)
Buddy didn't get over to help me with the cabin top hardware so I got Jasmine to hold the screwdriver while I used the impact driver inside. We did the life lines and the bow pulpit. I also installed a new 8" horn cleat one the bow. It had a 6' plastic one there before. I didn't trust it so it is gone. See the picture from underneath the cleat... The rust spot is ware a washer used to be... It wasn't there. Just some rust dust...
I picked up a roll for speaker wire for the bow light. It's going to be LED so 18 gauge is fine for it. I'll run the anchor light with the same stuff.
I had this cam cleat on the bow that I can't figure out... I removed it and found no attempt at water proofing....
I also removed the kitchenette light. I have different replacements. Lovely wiring job up there.
Here are the pictures.
I will go around and hand tighten all to the hardware again when I have someone to hold the screwdriver that doesn't tell me it's too hard to hang on to.

Attachments