modifing the 25

bert f

Nov 10, 2014
lancer 25 mk iv Tacoma
Hi All, glad to be aboard the LO site. I bought my 25, Cream Puff in 1987. That's some 27 years ago. I have tried to wear the boat out, but, no luck. To make it user friendly, I have really done some creative mods to it so staying 3-4 days on it, at a time was very pleasant. If anyone is interested in doing some frugal mods, let me know. Thanks Bert F.

Apr 29, 2014
Lancer 30 Monterey
I have a Lancer 30-5 (1985). I am interested in low cost mods - I seem to be specializing in high cost mods....:neutral:

bert f

Nov 10, 2014
lancer 25 mk iv Tacoma
I have a Lancer 30-5 (1985). I am interested in low cost mods - I seem to be specializing in high cost mods....:neutral:
Hi " T-man. Thanks for the contact. "Cream Puff is a 1980 Mk IV all of 25 '. The boat has a high degree of " tenderness" as it is equipted with Kenyon 31 ' racing stick that is fractional. The boom is 12 " long and packs 150 sq. ' of main sail. The 150 jib also has 150 sq . ' of sail area. It's a dream down wind but going to weather can be quite a task. Because of all the over canvas for the boat, I have had to design some very serious equiptment to deal with all the horsepower that well trimmed sails can produce. The first five years that I owned it I ran with a strictly racing club on Puget Sound. In dark days of the year, we raced about a 4 mi. course on Saturday mornings. The darker day we ran on Wed. evenings on the same course, except it was rain, shine, storm, or whatever. This boat just might be one of the best equipted, and fastest Lancer 25. in the U.S. . I do know that I can drag race a Cat 27, that's set up to run, of the mark and stay there , for quit a while. Anyhow, if any of the above deck mods interest you, let me know. I'm sure glad to share the infp Regards Bert F

bert f

Nov 10, 2014
lancer 25 mk iv Tacoma
modifing the 25'

Thanks - I am not a racer and my wife gets nervous if the boat heels too much.
Hi T-man. Thanks for the reply. First of all, I'm not a dyed-in -the-wool racer. I'm with your wife on that heeling over thing. I went racing to learn how to run my boat in all kinds of weather. Over the years, that has been and investment that actually saved my life many times. In the first year, that I owned my boat, I was off the dock some 49 weekends out of 52. Fact is, I have logged a total of 13,000 hours on my pocket cruiser. To do all that I had to deal with poor storage planning, the lighting problem, oh yeah, how about the heat (?) for all the freezing nights, Then, of course, the sanitation problem one has for a three day weekend ? All these issues had to be dealt with to keep the first mate in good humor. I'll have to look at the 30' floor plan to see if and of my "super cheap mods" will work on your boat. Best regards,and stay warm, Bert

Dec 10, 2014
Chrysler 22 millerton lake, ca
user friendly ideas

Hi All, glad to be aboard the LO site. I bought my 25, Cream Puff in 1987. That's some 27 years ago. I have tried to wear the boat out, but, no luck. To make it user friendly, I have really done some creative mods to it so staying 3-4 days on it, at a time was very pleasant. If anyone is interested in doing some frugal mods, let me know. Thanks Bert F.
I am thinking of buying a Lancer 25 but I am concerned that with a shoal keel it tends to slide leeward. Is that a problem in your experience? I would also like to hear about your frugal mods. thanks, Larry Laika3@comcast.net, 559 8402077

bert f

Nov 10, 2014
lancer 25 mk iv Tacoma
lancer 25

I am thinking of buying a Lancer 25 but I am concerned that with a shoal keel it tends to slide leeward. Is that a problem in your experience? I would also like to hear about your frugal mods. thanks, Larry Laika3@comcast.net, 559 8402077
i
Hi Larry, thanks for the contact. To answer your question properly, I need to explain some details about the 25. First, there are two types of rigging on a 25. First is the "short mast" is a "mast head rig. The forestay runs to the top of the mast. I believe the mast is 28'. The boom length is about8' plus. This item is a very poor entry level boat. Tat's just my opinion. Next up is the "Kenyon option". The mast is 31 feet high, boom is over 10' long, has a performance traveler system and usually has a main sail of 150 sq. feet. add the 150 foresail , for another 150 sq. ft. and you are up for a "very" exciting ride. This boat is a good buy and a nice keeper. I've had my some Opps, I forgot it's called a "fractional rig". T he forestay runs up about 80-85 percent of the mast. Now to the question. "does it point" ? That all depends on how aggressive you are and also how well you rig your boat. If you have a split backstay, that actually works, a functional barberhauler system, and a vang that gets it done, one can stay with a San Juan 26,

bert f

Nov 10, 2014
lancer 25 mk iv Tacoma
Hi Larry, I ran out of space to finish my comments on "going sideways". one has to look at the water line to really see what causes the "slippage". My 25 has a beautiful hull, but not much of the boat is in the water. The flatness of the hull bottom makes for a boat that does not seem to lean much going to weather. I could "wash the windows" in my Catalina, 22 swing keel, but the hulls are no comparison. So, I hope that I have been able to supply some ideas on making your decision. Best wishes, Bert F.

bert f

Nov 10, 2014
lancer 25 mk iv Tacoma
thanks Bert for your reply. What were your up-grades? Larry
Hi Larry. Updates to the running rigging are as follows :split backstay with pulley system to trim the mast, front safety lines lowered to the toe rail to allow the foot of the foresail to run on the deck, a very stout vang is used on the boom to control sail twist of the main, the outhaul on the boom is twice that which was stock, a barberhauler system was designed to better trim the 150 foresail, and last of , remember that this boat has the 31 foot mast and is a fractional rig. Oh, one last thing. I have rigged the front side of the mast so that I can " pole out " the 150 foresail out for downwind running. All in all, it is worth all the effort. Bert regards, Bert.

Apr 10, 2015
Lancer 28 Des Moines
Hi Larry. Updates to the running rigging are as follows :split backstay with pulley system to trim the mast, front safety lines lowered to the toe rail to allow the foot of the foresail to run on the deck, a very stout vang is used on the boom to control sail twist of the main, the outhaul on the boom is twice that which was stock, a barberhauler system was designed to better trim the 150 foresail, and last of , remember that this boat has the 31 foot mast and is a fractional rig. Oh, one last thing. I have rigged the front side of the mast so that I can " pole out " the 150 foresail out for downwind running. All in all, it is worth all the effort. Bert regards, Bert.
Hello Bert. I have a 1982 Lancer 28 at Des Moines Marina. I am new to sailing but have spent a couple weekends out on the Sound around Vashon and Gig Harbor last summer. I am getting mine ready for this summers fun. I would be interested in seeing your boat sometime to get ideas on things I can improve on mine if you were available sometime this summer. I would also love to soak up some of the tips and tricks you have learned over the 27 years with your Lancer.