MDR Macgregor 25 sailors seeking on the water and hands on experience advice

Jul 24, 2017
Macgregor Venture 25 Trailer Launch Marina Del Ray
My Brother and i have been in the process of restoring a venture 25 and are looking to store the boat in the mast up storage for the summer but being as we have never sailed before would feel a lot more comfortable getting some hands on experience in a similar boat before going out on our own. Let me know if you would be interested in taking us out to get the hang of things. We will gladly supply lunch! Feel free to pm or respond here.
Thanks
Nathan A

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
Might I suggest taking some sailing lessons as soon as this crisis is over? That would be your best course of action.

Timo42

Mar 26, 2007
Venture 22 Marina del Rey
I'd be happy to give you some pointers once the current craziness dies down, and once the season finally starts, there are always boats looking for crew on Tuesday and Wednesday nights, which is a fast track to learning sailing.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
You still have to learn on your own but sailing classes will cut down the learning curve timetable considerably. In the meantime start reading all you can get your hands on boat handling and ask questions; you will have questions. Start with safety, read about the proper operation of the swing keel.

Jul 24, 2017
Macgregor Venture 25 Trailer Launch Marina Del Ray
Appreciate all the responses! Thanks Brian, That has always been mentioned and i do feel would be great for most people. However we are young hands on people and learn best with a rapid learning hands on approach. Don't get me wrong as there is def. valuable information to be learned from any training course.

Thanks Benny We have been looking into sailing for many years now so many many months have gone into researching and watching sailing so we are familiar with sailing and just really want to get on board something similar and learn hands on what it takes to sail something in the range of our boat if that makes any sense. (We replaced the swinging keel on the boat last year actually so we have some pretty good understanding of how that works for sure.)

@Timo42 Thanks man! I Will Def take you up on that. Want to PM numbers or should i just reach back out to you when the season starts up? When do you like to start sailing?

Timo42

Mar 26, 2007
Venture 22 Marina del Rey
We will be bringing our SCz27 up from Long Beach either at the end of this month or next, with luck, the craziness will be over by then. Been racing since Jan 4, so as soon as the restrictions are lifted. Maybe post a few pictures of your rig, rigging, and keel winch so we can see if there is anything that needs to get done in the meantime.