Max-Prop Reconditioning

Jun 9, 2012
Beneteau 352 Centerport, NY
Had a complete bottom job done on my 1999 B352 (ours for 2 seasons) and while at it, I figured it would be a good idea to have the MY 2000 Max-Prop reconditioned by the factory (PYI, Inc.).

Their website says, “Your reconditioned propeller will look like new at a much lower cost.”Plus, there are before and after photos showing on old prop (pitted and a bit corroded like mine) and a reconditioned prop that basically looks like new.

I sent mine back and got an estimate for reconditioning- “The cost for repairs is going to be $1075.00+ship, I am replacing the hub, cone gear, spacer, weld to balance, and polish. The blades are pitted pretty bad but still usable.”

What I got back was the same pitted, slightly corroded prop I sent them- with the new parts mentioned above but NOTHING like the new prop I thought I’d be getting back. Nothing like the web photos or description. https://www.pyiinc.com/max-prop-reconditioning.html

When I pointed this out to PYI, I was told my prop could be restored like the web pic but it would be MUCH more expensive. This prop was $2,000 new (now $2,800) so why would I spend MUCH more than $1,000 for reconditioning.

I’m feeling misled and over charged- I told PYI this but they are ignoring me so now I’m telling you all. If you use this service, make sure you know from the start exactly what your reconditioned prop will look like- if you’re expecting “like new” it might be cheaper to buy a new one.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
The site sounds misleading to me as well. Especially with the verbiage "Your reconditioned propeller will look like new at a much lower cost.". Their idea of "much lower" must be different than the rest of the world. Still, it all seems worded carefully enough to get away with it. It's always what they don't say, not what they do say that will bite you in the butt.
Thanks for the heads up. My guess is someone there visits this site.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
You describe a prop so poorly maintained that it was very close to being a total loss. So for about 1/3 the cost of new, you got a prop that is fully functional and cosmetically damaged. I would call that a deal.

Assume you know what you have to do to maintain a max-prop. They are a precision piece of machinery.

Jun 15, 2012
BAVARIA C57 Greenport, NY
I am constantly saying how cars, boats, houses, and women all look great on the internet. I guess I'll have to add propellers. KennyBene, I think you have been deceived. If the reconditioning service does not include "restoration like the web pics", why are those pics shown? Why not show and clearly specify the different levels of service?

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
Had a complete bottom job done on my 1999 B352 (ours for 2 seasons) and while at it, I figured it would be a good idea to have the MY 2000 Max-Prop reconditioned by the factory (PYI, Inc.).

Their website says, “Your reconditioned propeller will look like new at a much lower cost.”Plus, there are before and after photos showing on old prop (pitted and a bit corroded like mine) and a reconditioned prop that basically looks like new.

I sent mine back and got an estimate for reconditioning- “The cost for repairs is going to be $1075.00+ship, I am replacing the hub, cone gear, spacer, weld to balance, and polish. The blades are pitted pretty bad but still usable.”

What I got back was the same pitted, slightly corroded prop I sent them- with the new parts mentioned above but NOTHING like the new prop I thought I’d be getting back. Nothing like the web photos or description. https://www.pyiinc.com/max-prop-reconditioning.html

When I pointed this out to PYI, I was told my prop could be restored like the web pic but it would be MUCH more expensive. This prop was $2,000 new (now $2,800) so why would I spend MUCH more than $1,000 for reconditioning.

I’m feeling misled and over charged- I told PYI this but they are ignoring me so now I’m telling you all. If you use this service, make sure you know from the start exactly what your reconditioned prop will look like- if you’re expecting “like new” it might be cheaper to buy a new one.
I have had mixed results with PYI. They were great in helping me choose the correct prop and set it up for my boat. That service was very good. On the other hand, I did also send my prop back to them for servicing after 7 years of my maintenance and that experience was not so good. They shined it up real well and replaced the cone gear, but the one thing I knew needed repair and told them so in a letter, one of the grease fittings was stripped, was entirely skipped over and was still stripped after the service. When confronted, they apologized and offered to do the repair for free, provided I absorbed the shipping.
My recommendation is to be very certain there is an understanding at PYI of what the desired work entails, and the associated cost. I sent a letter accompanying my prop but that approach failed. At the time there was one technician at PYI who handled prop repair. I would recommend telephone contact in addition to the letter, before the work begins, and after the work is completed but before final shipping back to the owner. I believe they are a very competent source, but they do require oversight.

Jun 9, 2012
Gunni- I'm not sure how you're certain the prop was "very close to being a total loss" but it's true, probably due to lack of proper lubrication, the internals needed to be replaced. My problem is more with the misleading website descriptions and photos.
If they had told me in the estimate that there would be no attention paid to the corrosion without extra cost, I would feel better.
As it stands now, PYI won't even discuss it.

Mikem

Dec 20, 2009
Hunter 466 Bremerton
A friend of mine suffered galvanic corrosion damage on his 20” 3 blade max prop. $1500 to recondition. After that experience he sold it to a buddy and installed a 3 blade flexofold. Of note is my friend took the divers word and didn’t even look at the prop. He was a very active and pro active live aboard so I’m not sure what the major malfunction was...just know he spent $1500 then bought the flexofold.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
A max-prop that is corrosion pitted has not had it’s anodes properly maintained and the bronze is giving up zinc. The bronze blades weaken and break. A max-prop that is not properly greased every year with the correct grease will eat it’s gear. Put the two together and you have a propeller that was just about destroyed.

You are misrepresenting how PYI offers reconditioning services. They didn’t quote you blade resurfacing or replacement so you didn’t get that service.

Regarding how I know this: I have a 15 year old max-prop in good working order because it is maintained per instructions that PYI provides all owners. And I have seen how propellers die an early death.

Mikem

Dec 20, 2009
Hunter 466 Bremerton
And that reconditioned Max prop has performed admirably on the other boat for 8 years now. It is amazing what good groceries will do.

Mikem

Dec 20, 2009
Hunter 466 Bremerton
Good groceries, sorry. Poor analogy to proper care and maintenance.

Jun 9, 2012
I don't see how I'm misrepresenting anything- I posted the link to their website and I think it's pretty clear they tell you the prop comes back like new. If that's not going to be the case, they should tell you.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Their website does state that the condition of props vary, so they can use a standard price. But I tend to agree that the site is a little misleading if they show a “reconditioned” prop that is all polished and then they don’t do that (or at least tell you how much to do it).

It would have helped make your case if you showed us before and after pics of your prop.

Greg

Mar 3, 2003
Hunter 356 Grand Rivers
I had mine recinditioned after 13 years and they did exactly what I expected. Cost was about $750. I didn’t have but small knicks innthe blades but they took them out. Needed new cone gear. Key is servicing and zincs.

Mar 16, 2009
Hunter Vision-36 Richmond
So glad I searched for this thread. Just about ready to send a 30 year Max Prop in for reconditioning. No way after reading this. I'm going to buy a nice new fixed blade prop.

Jan 9, 2020
J J/42 1 New Castle NH
Maybe this thread is a bit dormant, but hopefully some of the experiences here can guide me. I assume my max prop classic is ~25 years old (new to me boat). I brought it to a local prop tech and (while it was off the shaft) they told me it was "shot" and not refurbish able. I've read fairly good things about the PYI reconditioning service, but figured I'd share this vid with the forum to see if it relates to any of your experiences who have reconditioned the max prop. Looks to be like maybe 1mm wiggle on each blade? too much and is it "shot"? Many thanks IMG_1837.MOV
WSC
ps. first season had no issues with vibration etc. and love the reverse in the feathering prop.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Have you contacted PYI about the issue. I would be interested in learning their observations. Wobble could be caused by a couple of internal issues. It woudl certainly be worth a call.