Mast wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 26, 2004
Macgregor Venture 25 Trailer Sailor
I am rewiring the mast. I have an anchor light at the top, a steaming light 1/3 the way down and a deck light midway between the spreaders and the base. This is all original on the mast. I will replace the anchor and steaming with new Aqua Signal 25 series lights. There is an existing two prong plug at the mast base for connection to a deck mounted receiver with wiring inside connected to a OEM panel with one switch for the mast light. I am trying to find information on the wiring diagram for three independently run lights. I believe that I can have a common ground for all three lights, but I need separate power for each light (or is that the reverse?). So how do you run the power into the boat and to the power source (battery)? I think I need a new mast plug (four prong) and two new switches in the boat to control the lights. Is this correct? What else am I missing? Thanks

Jun 4, 2006
Macgregor 26X Gray Hawk, KY
Sounds like you have the picture in focus. You could put the anchor and steaming lites on one wire by using reversing diodes as they are not used at the same time. The steaming lites would require their own wire as they could be on at any time. So it looks like a new plug is in order.

Wonder how the PO did it????

O

oreana1234

You may be forgetting to consult a wiring chart to determine the correct wire gauge. If you use a common ground, and all 3 circuits are used, the ground wire should reflect the added load when used that way. Your wiring run distance is all of the way from the battery to the switch, to the light, DOUBLED!

The best way to deal with the wiring you have is to convert to LED lighting. The reason for this is the discrepancy between the necessary wire size for incandescent lights and the itsy bitsy deck plug. The little sockets in the back of the plug will often not accomodate any wire over the size of 16 gauge. Also, even the mast lights rarely will accomodate the correct wire gauge, often you will find the light wired with 18 gauge wire, and no provision for any larger wire.

But these tiny wire gauges that the plugs and lights will physically accomodate will be more than large enough for LED lighting loads.

I firmly believe in crimping connectors and covering them with adhesive lined heat shrink tubing at a minimum. If you want to really make the connection have the least resistance, consider crimping, soldering and adhesive lined heat shrink. Also, use the anti-corrosive paste such as C5-A to help reduce corrosion at the deck plug pins, and on the plug backs. Are those deck plug connectors a crappy engineering solution or what?.

If you are going to run a deck light that has any power to really illuminate the deck, God help you! Also consider strain relief for the wires where they exit the mast. A cheap trick for suppressing wire noise inside the mast is to attach wire ties every 18 inches or so and do not remove the wire tie "tails". Good luck and send pictures.

JDK

Jul 12, 2007
Mac 26D 1988 New Port Richey, Fl
Here is a great plug to replace the original one with.
It's West Marine's number 315168. Rugged, easy to install and waterproof, with room for four circuits plus ground.

JDK

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.