Mast wiring color code?

Apr 11, 2017
Catalina C22 Solomon's Island, MD
I'm in the process of replacing my factory spreader/deck light with a new LED fixture. I've removed the factory light, and it has 3 wires coming from the mast - a Black, White & Green.

The new Forespar spreader light has 3 wires -- with a color coding of red wire=steaming light, Blue wire = deck light, and Black wire = ground.

I'm guessing the Black wire, common to both, is the ground wire for both. Anyone have a good idea as to what the White & Green color coded wires might control, coming from the spreader wiring of the mast?

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
The only way to be sure is to fire up the steaming light and grab your volt meter. measure volts from green/white to black/ground to confirm which is the steaming light. The other must be the anchor light.

Apr 11, 2017
Thanks Bill - good idea.

I almost have to raise the mast to connect the mast/boat wiring, but might just have to do it that way, or wind up doing it twice.

Sep 28, 2017
Catalina 22 Southeastern Pennsylvania
Go to:
Www.chipford.com/electrical.htm

He has some great wiring diagrams posted which will get you set up. I have them printed out and in my boat for reference.
I just recently bought a mast connector and about 10 feet of 4 conductor wire and built a jumper from the deck connector to the mast connector to make working on the mast lights easier. No need to step the mast, or look up pin in/outs now when I need to work on mast lights.

Apr 11, 2017
Thanks Norton - I found a lot of good information on Chip Ford's site.