mast step/plate

Nov 12, 2015
Catalina 22 Lake LBJ
Hi all,

I'm in the process of removing all deck hardware, potting the holes and re-bedding the hardware.
My question regards re-attaching the mast plate. It was secured with 4 machine screws into the deck (the large aluminum backing plate). Do you all feel this is adequate, or should I through-bolt it when I re-attach it?

Secondly, any good way to remove the silicone caulk the PO used so I can bed the hardware with butyl tape?

Attachments

Sep 29, 2012
Catalina 22 Clucluz Lake, BC
Mine is bolted through and has a long machine screw fastening it into the top of the compression post. That mast plate looks like a creation by the previous owner. Acetone sort of works to get rid of silicone... there is probably a better solvent out there. Cut and pull as much out as you can manually and then ream the top of the holes slightly before using Butyl if you decide to continue to use that plate. I personally wouldn't.

Dec 23, 2008
Catalina 22 Central Penna.
The previous owner placed that metal plate under the mast step to make up for the stretch of the stays, so I would use the plate, but I would make sure two of the 4 screws were replaced with through bolts as you think, two will do it because all of the pressure from the sail load is forced down the mast and two bolts will handle any sideway movement if it happens.

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
I think that Watercolors could be correct, the aluminum plate is there to make up for stretch in the stays, but it could also be there if the P.O. had trimmed the base of the mast by about 1/2 inch and now it needs a spacer. I have never seen a Halyard plate like the one that is attached either (the holes are on the ends and not on the sides). Now might be a good time to up-grade to the new style mast step and halyard plate from Catalina Direct. That aluminum spacer is just a invitation for bi-metal corrosion. I would inspect the mast base and determine if it has ever been cut, verify by measuring the overall length of the mast. I doubt that you would need a spacer for dealing with shroud stretch alone, the turnbuckles should have enough take on them to tension properly even after stretch. Is it also time for new shrouds and stays?

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
LOL, and by the way... to answer your question about removing silicone; Use a plastic scraper to get rid of as much as possible, then try Goof Off adhesive remover, the liquid in the big can is about $8 at H-D or Lowes. Its mostly acetone but also had 1% MEK and a little Xylene, it a great all purpose solvent and good at removing silicone residue.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Then go track down whoever used silicone on your boat and strangle the life out of him. You can tell him it's from me if you like. :mad:

Nov 12, 2015
Catalina 22 Lake LBJ
Sorry I've been away for a while. I've been poking around some more, there is definitely hollow sound and rot around the electrical connection on the port side of mast step, and it appears to get near mast step. I wonder if the aluminum plate was to get screws into something solid. I'm going to drill out the old mast step screw holes and see, but it looks like I'm going to have to cut out some deck, put in some wood and re-epoxy everything.

In doing so, I think I may just go back to the mast step without the aluminum plate. I understand that one screw goes down into the compression post, and I plan to through bolt the other.

In response to the silicone- the more time I spend trying to get that off the more I feel like strangling somebody!