Mast size and availabilty

Status
Not open for further replies.

Squidd

Sep 26, 2011
AMF Alcort Paceship PY26 Washburn Wi. Apostle Islands
Have a chance at a Mac Venture 24' at a reasonable price...

Probably because it needs a new mast (mast damaged/missing)

What size mast does this boat take...?

Will some other make/model be a good substitute...?

The boat has 6 sails from original masting, will that make a difference on finding the proper mast...?

Quick answers appreciated, actual finding of mast can take time, once I procure the boat...assuming there are (reasonable) options available

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
Have a chance at a Mac Venture 24' at a reasonable price...

Probably because it needs a new mast (mast damaged/missing)

What size mast does this boat take...?

Will some other make/model be a good substitute...?

The boat has 6 sails from original masting, will that make a difference on finding the proper mast...?

Quick answers appreciated, actual finding of mast can take time, once I procure the boat...assuming there are (reasonable) options available
What is a reasonable price?

I think free might be in the ball park considering the cost and effort this might take on your part. The boat is probably at the age that you need all new standing rigging and if there is rigging could you still even use it?

If you are somewhere that there are a lot of boats around and a number that have been parted out then maybe it makes sense. Where I live it wouldn't.

There are a lot of complete boats in fairly good shape going for under $2000 that are already complete if you take the time to look.

Just a couple thoughts,

Sum

Our Endeavour 37

Our Trips to Utah, Idaho, Canada, Florida

Our MacGregor S Pages

Mac-Venture Links

Squidd

Sep 26, 2011
That's what it's looking like... price of fixing one tends to override just buying a sail ready boat for a few dollars more

Jul 29, 2010
Macgregor 76 V-25 #928 Lake Mead, Nevada
OUr friend Sumner is right as usual. Standard mast extrusion for a V-24 is Sparcraft S-104, 28 ft long. Then you have to add hardware, like mast cap, shroud and spreader connectors, spreader, etc. If you can't find one locally for around $600.00 new shipping will be a fortune. V-24 were built as late as mid '70's. Unless you can get a killer deal like free I would pass and look for something else. Look around for a V-25 or Mac 25. Where is Eagle River? If you're close to any large body of water boats are going for pretty decent prices right now. Keep us posted. Fair Winds and Full Sails....

Squidd

Sep 26, 2011
Eagle River is North/centeral Wisconsin right up against the UP Michigan border...

1000 lakes around me here, but all small and shallow "fishing" lakes...

Superior is 100 mile...Mighigan is 100 mile, Green Bay is 140 and Oshkosh is 150 mile Those would be the closest "big water"/"big boats" around here...so I'm surrounded by good water...

That's why I'm leaning toward a Trailer Sailer rather than associated docking costs...

Jul 29, 2010
Eagle River is North/centeral Wisconsin right up against the UP Michigan border...

1000 lakes around me here, but all small and shallow "fishing" lakes...

Superior is 100 mile...Mighigan is 100 mile, Green Bay is 140 and Oshkosh is 150 mile Those would be the closest "big water"/"big boats" around here...so I'm surrounded by good water...

That's why I'm leaning toward a Trailer Sailer rather than associated docking costs...
Smart thinking, I live near Lake Mead and I never want to be marina locked. I've trailered as far north as British Columbia and as far south as Ensenada Mexico and numerous points in between. Depending on how much room you need you might consider Venture 21, Venture 22 or Catalina 22. Easy to trailer, launch and get parts. Keep us posted. Fair winds and full sails....

Kestle

Jun 12, 2011
MacGregor 25 San Pedro
I frequently see masts that are left around marina which dismasted by shearing off at the deck line. Many are in surprisingly good shape. There was a carbon one in my marine for six months, with carbon spreaders. Since these aren't blue water boats, that could be an option.

Jeff

May 21, 2011
Macgregor Venture 21 Beaver lake
I agree with Sum try just looking at reasonable priced used boats ready to go. I think you will find that really great deals are such great deals when you put the time, work and materials cost into it. Also the shipping is going to kill ya. I would look at the venture 21 I have one it a great trailer sailor option, just depends on your needs.

Jul 29, 2010
Ditto on what USCG says. Had a 21 for a couple of years. can sleep two comfortable 4 cozy. easy to rig, launch and sail. Had V-222 for five years and Freedom for 34 years. Fair winds and full sails....

Jul 29, 2010
The Honda 7.5 if running is worth the $395. Also looks like about $200 worth of Ground tackle. Rudders worht few buck. I'd buy just for spare parts and parting out. Keel is worth a bunch and folks are always looking for spare parts. Winches, Blocks, Cleats, etc. Inside looks trashed ????? As far as remasting, As I said the mast is just the beginning. You still have to add hardware and rigging. Trailer is worth a few bucks.
Mr Bills, V-22 posting is a pretty good deal depending on condition but Florida is a long way from where you live.
Fair winds and full sails...

May 4, 2005
Macgregor 26d Ft Lauderdale, Fl
when I look at project boats, I try to figure what its worth, when all done, and see if I'll be upside down (financially) at the end of the day....

IMHO, the v24 is worth 3-4k all done and ready to go. (maybe more for a excellent example).

So, at 500 you could make some money if you have free time, and the engine is salvageable, as is the trailer (only 1 pic of part of the trl).

if you want to sell, before is ready to sail, then its just another project boat... after you've started to fix it. So you need to finish the project once you start.

So the risk is the engine, trailer, and needing a mast.

you could spend 800+ on a used engine, a used trailer could run another grand, and the mast another grand...

Then you have the unknown status of the keel bolt. loosing the keel makes the boat pretty much worthless... (it might be fine, but who knows)

IMHO, I'd pass on this one, and find a nice ready to sail boat for 3-4k. they are out there...

Cheap boats, seldom are.

Status
Not open for further replies.