MAST RAISING TECHNIQUES WANTED

Nov 19, 2008
Catalina C-22 MK-II Parrish, FL
Rich Fox, our Association's Editor for the C-22's MainBrace publication is wanting to run an article on the various mast raising techniques used out there on the C-22.

Mast Raising Techniques - In the Catalina 22 May MainBrace, I am going to feature a couple of mast raising techniques. I am excited to include Steve Hock's technique...very cool. If you have an existing mast raising technique that you would like to share in the May MainBrace, please let me know, and send or post photographs or a URL in the comments below with description of steps, and I will include. Since MainBrace is also available in PDF format, any Catalina 22 sailor will be able to access and save it the publication for future reference. Thank you. If you prefer to e-mail, then send to c22mainbrace@catalina22.org.

Apr 21, 2015
Catalina 22 Sport #15582 Indianapolis
Rich Fox, our Association's Editor for the C-22's MainBrace publication is wanting to run an article on the various mast raising techniques used out there on the C-22.

Mast Raising Techniques - In the Catalina 22 May MainBrace, I am going to feature a couple of mast raising techniques. I am excited to include Steve Hock's technique...very cool. If you have an existing mast raising technique that you would like to share in the May MainBrace, please let me know, and send or post photographs or a URL in the comments below with description of steps, and I will include. Since MainBrace is also available in PDF format, any Catalina 22 sailor will be able to access and save it the publication for future reference. Thank you. If you prefer to e-mail, then send to c22mainbrace@catalina22.org.
Thanks Don.
Correct e-mail address is c22mainbrace@yahoo.com.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
I have only used one technique developed by trial and error. 1) the mast is most heavy to lift when parallel to the ground or water 2) tendency for side to side movement will decrease as the shrouds stretch into position 3) generating uninterrupted momentum will facilitate the raising and keeping straight of the mast. I will stand at the stern of the boat and will swing the section of mast up above my head; the farther away from the tabernacle the easier to lift. I will walk on the cockpit seats and get on the cabin top while pushing the mast forward (pushing rather than lifting). A single swift effort will provide the forward momentum to keep the mast from deviating to the sides at least until the shrouds take control to keep it straight. It is important to verify that the shrouds and the backstay are free to stretch with no kinks or grabs so that the forward pushing motion is uninterrupted. I run a halyard to a turning block attached to the bow of the boat so that once I run the mast up I can pick the halyard up and secure the mast in position until I complete the setting and adjustment of the forestay. I find that the part requiring the most strength is picking up the mast at the stern of the boat. The higher you lift it the lighter it will become before you start the push. Using a mast support at the stern of the boat will help hold the mast while you slide it back and connect to the tabernacle and allow the mast to rest until you are ready to lift. I try to keep it simple with the use of the least amount of props. This technique is intended to allow a single person to raise the mast but if a helper is available then it becomes a real easy job. Taking the mast down is just the opposite but this time having gravity as a helper.

Nov 19, 2008
Catalina C-22 MK-II Parrish, FL
Benny17441, if you could forward your mast raising technique to the email provided by Rich. If you have any photos, that would be great! Like the old saying goes, a picture is worth a thousand words.

Don

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
I will walk on the cockpit seats and get on the cabin top while pushing the mast forward (pushing rather than lifting).
On a C22? I would LOVE to see this. You must be seven feet tall!

dzl

Jun 23, 2016
Catalina 22 Trailer
I do it using the boom vang without a gin pole. I'm sure many use this method as it is very quick, easy, and stable. My boat is not worthy of magazine articles though so I'll let another do that. It takes me around 6 minutes total to raise the mast from tied down to forestay attached.

Dec 23, 2008
Catalina 22 Central Penna.
I use a second crutch for setting the mast on during raising. The first is at the stern to hold the mast in position to attach the base to the cabin top mast plate. Walking the mast forward and raising about 35 degrees puts me at the companion way where the second mast crutch is positioned on the cabin FLOOR and is just high enough for me to sit mast in when at the 35 degree lift position. This second crutch holds the mast at the 35 degree angle while I check for any rigging that may become hooked during the second half of the lift. When all is well, I then climb onto the cabin roof and continue the lift to vertical.

As a backup, I keep a 100 foot light duty line aboard and attach one end to the forestay with a loop in the other end for a save hand hold. I stretch this 100 ft line over the top of the tow vehicle and across the parking lot. Using a women or a young teenager, have her or him help pull the top of the mast up with me lifting from the cockpit. At 100 feet and angle, the pull on the top of the mast is very light when I lift it to the 30 degree angle. With this line the mast can be held at any angle to allow for unentanglement and attaching the forward baby stays to hold the mast vertical.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I will stand at the stern of the boat and will swing the section of mast up above my head; the farther away from the tabernacle the easier to lift. I will walk on the cockpit seats and get on the cabin top while pushing the mast forward (pushing rather than lifting). ...
I did this once when I first got my Mac26S. The wife pinned the forestay. Very soon after we bought a raising system for a 26M from BWY.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
As a backup, I keep a 100 foot light duty line aboard and attach one end to the forestay with a loop in the other end for a save hand hold. I stretch this 100 ft line over the top of the tow vehicle and across the parking lot. Using a women or a young teenager, have her or him help pull the top of the mast up with me lifting from the cockpit. At 100 feet and angle, the pull on the top of the mast is very light when I lift it to the 30 degree angle. With this line the mast can be held at any angle to allow for unentanglement and attaching the forward baby stays to hold the mast vertical.
That's exactly how my wife and I raise the stick, although we only use about half that length of rope. Easy peasy.