Mast raising - M25

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 20, 2011
Macgregor 25 Sacramento, CA
I know there's lots of info out there on this and I've looked at a lot of it..... in fact that's my problem. So I whipped up a pole with the bracket to bolt to the mast step drilled a couple holes in the step and it works but the step is too crowded even for the bolt heads I've got it working but want a better solution.

One would be and I'm sure I saw them in my reading is a bracket the bolts to the deck just forward of the step to pin the pole to.... and now look as I might I can't find any pictures showing a bracket like that. I was hoping to find out where I maybe able to purchase same. My other option would be to have a step made with a couple ears on the front to accept the bracket for the pole. I think my preference is the separate bracket even if i have to have it made.

Same subject different part for baby stays I have two stanchions just forward of the step so figure I could just add a ring or tab and eliminate having to mount something on deck.

thanks

Attachments

Sep 5, 2007
MacGregor 26X Rochester
Pin it to the mast itself, using a wye piece or a couple of tangs. That's assuming the gin pole rotates with the mast as it's raised.

If it's stationary, then any simple u-bracket, mounted to the deck such that shear is resisted (bottom of gin pole trying to slide around), will work.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
Maybe this picture....

....I'm not sure, but you might be able to get those from BWY's.

More on the system here....

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/macgregor/rigging-2.html

....and you want the attach point for the baby stays pretty close to the hinge line of the mast. Ours are a little forward and also serve the purpose of ....

...securing the front edge of the pop-top cover, but we have an S and the 25's pop-top is different,

Sum

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]============================[/FONT]

Our Endeavour 37

Our MacGregor 26-S Pages

Our Trips to Utah, Idaho, Canada, Florida

Mac-Venture Links

Aug 20, 2011
I did like your picture shows but my mast step has no room forward, regular bolts the heads catch on the mast as it goes up. I had to use elevator bolts to get clearance and the I can't remove once the mast is up. If I can't find a pre-made U bracket I'll just get one made then I can have one pin and it's done easy on or off.

Sep 5, 2007
MacGregor 26X Rochester
Blue Water Yachts has the whole shebang (both halves of the mast hinge), and it's not expensive. It has the extra hole for the gin pole. P/N's 3438-1X0 and 3439-1X0. $25 each half. It's the hinge used on the 26X, but they list it as suitable for most other models.

Sep 25, 2008
Macgregor & Island Packet VENTURE 25 & IP-38 NORTH EAST, MD
I don't use a mast raising system (two of us just lift it, Iwo Jima style) but I did make my tabernacle (mast step) longer so I could support it better. A metal fabricator bent an extension piece and welded it on, then ground and polished the outside. Doing this would give you the "room" you need, if I'm even understanding what you're talking about.

Sep 30, 2008
Macgregor venture 25 port dufferin
With the sailing season soon coming to a close, I have been thinking about a MRS. I have a gin pole and can use the mainsheet blocks and mainsheet halyard.
My question is I have no place to attach any baby stays at present, can I loop a rope around the spreaders and down to the deck cleats ( in line with rhe mast) as baby stays? I do plan on adding tangs to the mast for next season.
Anthony

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
With the sailing season soon coming to a close, I have been thinking about a MRS. I have a gin pole and can use the mainsheet blocks and mainsheet halyard.
My question is I have no place to attach any baby stays at present, can I loop a rope around the spreaders and down to the deck cleats ( in line with rhe mast) as baby stays? I do plan on adding tangs to the mast for next season.
Anthony

Do you have cleats on the deck opposite the mast? If so just add a couple cleats up the mast now. It doesn't take long to drill a few holes and tap them and attach the cleats and you are done.

I've added...

...a number of cleats to the mast for reefing and lazy jacks and such (above) and the boat came....

...with the ones up a little higher for the baby stays. We use those on anchor for a topping lift and for an uphaul for ....

...the anchor sail,

Sum

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]============================[/FONT]

Our Endeavour 37

Our MacGregor 26-S Pages

Our Trips to Utah, Idaho, Canada, Florida

Mac-Venture Links

Sep 30, 2008
Macgregor venture 25 port dufferin
re mast raising

Thanks Sumner had not thought of that.
Anthony

May 22, 2011
MacGregor 25 San Diego
That's what I used, too, and it works great. I attached it just before the mast hinge, through the deck and backed with a 1/8" aluminum plate.

Dave
S/V Trial and Error
25 Mac '81

Aug 20, 2011
Thanks all,

I had a bracket made as I'm using a square aluminum tube as my gin pole so this one should fit perfect. It will also allow me to have a single pin to slide all the way through and it's all hooked up. I've got pad eye's on order from Dwyer's mast for the baby stays so that should round out the whole system.

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.