Mast Light Wiring

• Thread starter Ed P. - Orangevale, CA
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
E

Ed P. - Orangevale, CA

Can anyone explain to me the wiring setup for the steaming/deck light on a C-22 ? My '85 has a two-pin connector in the deck which connects to a three-wire cable in the mast. One of the wires is green, obviously the ground, and the other two are black and white. The ground (green) is connected to what appears to be a rivet in the mast, but does not connect to the battery in any way. I'm assuming the other two (white & black) are the hot leads for the lights. If this is correct, how does the ground work ? Also, I'm thinking of adding an anchor light, so will I have to go to a 4-wire system to make everything work individually ? Comments and suggestion appreciated. Ed. P. "See Da Moon" S/N 13106

D

Dick of the Sylvan

Wiring

Can't give a good answer since my MainBrace (Cat 22 newsletters) are all with the boat in another state for the winter. However, they had a good article therein with wiring diagram for the mast, including all 3 lights. I followed it and it worked fine. Basically the 2 wire connection is just a hot and a ground. From there it takes 4 wires up the mast to the masthead/steamer and 3 wires to the anchor light. It takes 2 switches mounted low on the mast, one single pole and 1 double pole to give you the options you need. Perhaps someone with access to last winter's Mainbrace can help you more. I've never seen 85 wiring, but would suspect that you have the green as a ground to the mast and some sort of switch thereon to isolate the steamer from the deck light. What I really wonder is why Catalina didn't just wire all boats with 4 wires to the mast so that the mast switches can be in the cabin? Maybe they should make a recall, like the Auto companies do. Not having an anchor light is not only dangerous but illegal if you have to spend your nights anchored away from the shore at night. Dick

Status
Not open for further replies.