Maryland Macgregor 26 trial?

May 30, 2021
MacGregor 26 26M West River MD
I've been yearning for a Macgregor 26 but have never actually sailed one. Anyone here on the western shore of the Chesapeake willing to take me out for a spin?

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Good idea to get out on one.

I was enamored with the idea of a 70hp outboard and getting the boat up on a plane when I wanted to go fast, and flooding the ballast tank to sail when I wanted to….

I was interested in a Mac 26m, but got a ride on a 26X from a friendly owner on Lake Michigan.

After 60 minutes to set up and launch the boat, a bouncy sail, a wallowing motor, and another 90 minutes to get the boat on the trailer, mast down and ready to travel, I had several takeaways:

1) whatever I bough, I needed to keep it in a slip…I would never get to sail if I spent 2.5 hours rigging and un-rigging every time.

2) the 26x was too light and too small for my comfort sailing on Lake Michigan. I like to press the weather window and would not feel all that comfortable on a lightly-built water ballast boat.

3) the allure of the 70 hp “planing” boat didn’t seem too realistic on a boat loaded for sailing, on a usually “not flat” seas of Lake Michigan.

I am a really appreciative to “Wally” for taking me out on his 26X…even if it wasn’t the right boat for me.

You don’t say what type of MacGregor you are looking for…I hear the more traditional boats sail completely differently…so don’t let my opinion carry too much weight of you are looking at traditional MacGregor.

Cheers,

Greg

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I had a water ballast 26S and I agree with Greg. They are tender and lightly built. We kept ours slipped. Dropping the mast and securing everything for trailering is a PITA. Especially if you have a furler.

Apr 11, 2020
MacGregor 26s Scott's Landing, Grapevine TX
I had a water ballast 26S and I agree with Greg. They are tender and lightly built. We kept ours slipped. Dropping the mast and securing everything for trailering is a PITA. Especially if you have a furler.
I disagree with the mast dropping comment. Compared to most sailboats this size, it is easy if you have the proper equipment (i.e. the winch-equipped kit or a home-brew solution like mine). I don't have a furler, but can see why that would make it significantly more difficult.

That said, we keep ours slipped as well. Taking the boat in or out is a two-hour process, maybe as little as 1.5 hours if I did it regularly, so I couldn't really envision putting in that effort for an afternoon sail. I used to do that with our Hunter 170, but it was strictly a day sailer. Setup was more like 30 to 45 minutes, but no cabin, so no overnighting.

I agree with the "tender and lightly built" comment. I would not consider taking this boat outside protected waters except in calm conditions with no threat of storm. They heel considerably more than keelboats of the same size. Their light weight makes them accelerate easily, and I find that I can outsail most of the boats I encounter on our lake (except for J-boats and the like). The swing centerboard means no worries in shallower waters, and opens up possibilities simply not available to keelboats.

If you find yourself in the Dallas-Fort Worth area, let me know I would be glad to take you out for a spin.