Marine Plywood?

Jul 24, 2020
Catalina 22 Kingston
So in my quest to figure out what projects to do and which to not do one sort fell in to my lap (so to speak) this weekend.

While checking on the boat and looking to see if I could tackle replacing the hoses etc for the scuppers (which I can't because ice) I bumped the table, it fell. The really expensive fake wood edge banding popped off and I was struck with the uglyness of the plastic wood top. I also noticed the I'm sure incredibly comfortable when sleeping wood 'keep things on the table' bits.
I figured since everything is covered in snow and frozen solid I'd make a new table.

So my question is, do I need to/should I/It's highly recommended to make the table out of marine plywood or since it's inside the cabin anything will work? I think the existing table (I assume the original) is made of presswood? Since I only want to do this once and do it right what is the best option?

Jul 13, 2015
Catalina 22 #2552 2252 Kennewick, WA
I actually epoxied my pressboard original just to abuse it some more-- but yes, if you want aesthetic, any good wood will do, just keep a good finish on it and give it some TLC it will last forever.

Feb 8, 2014
Columbia 36 Muskegon
Marine plywood uses the same adhesive as regular exterior grade construction plywood. The difference is Marine has thinner, more numerous plies and no voids. This gets important if you're building a hull and will be bending the plywood, exterior grade might crack or not bend evenly. It's also less prone to warping, and this is important if your table is only supported in the middle. Exterior might not stay flat in that application. If it's supported around the edges, exterior would probably be fine. I use exterior all the time in those situations. But GOOD QUALITY exterior ply. Not that much cheaper than Marine grade, just easier to source. And incidentally, the Marine rating does not address the wood's rot resistance. Some of the so-called Marine plywoods are terrible in this regard, they have the required adhesive and construction, but if they get wet the wood just rots away. Most exterior is pine or fir which are pretty resistant. If you get Marine grade, make sure it's fir. Menards carries it in some stores, or can be ordered in others.

Jul 18, 2015
South P10 Pugetopolis
Sorry the old edging fell of your table. Is it necessary to replace the whole table?
How about adding new trim? Adding teak trim improves appearance and its not hard to install.

We recently replaced the counter in our boats, and used MDO for the counter as it is waterproof , easier to find, and easy to prep for formica.

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
Marine grade has nothing to do with rot resistant but it does use water resistant glues

Jul 24, 2020
Catalina 22 Kingston
Thanks for all the great info all. I assumed (incorrectly) that marine grade plywood had some water resistence to it.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
We recently replaced the counter in our boats, and used MDO for the counter as it is waterproof , easier to find, and easy to prep for formica.
Where do you find sheets of formica these days? The core ply access panels above my holding tank have delaminated and I wanted to replace them

Jul 24, 2020
Catalina 22 Kingston
Is it necessary to replace the whole table?
I'll have to double check the cut end. I had a quick look but I think the press wood got wet and it started to expand. I believe the cut end wasn't sealed with anything and was left exposed.
If it's in good condition I might attempt to de-lam the classic 70's dark brown fake wood top and replace it with something. Of course the other option is to embrace the dark wood, and orange cusions and put down shag carpeting :)

• Ha
Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
There was shag carpeting on the walls of a 70's conversion van turned work van that I bought in a pawn shop decades ago. My wife and friends kidded me about being a drug dealer

Aug 31, 2011
Catalina C-22 9485 Lake Rathbun, IA
I recently updated/replaced my old 80's Formica table. I used a 1/2" marine ply, and covered with an adhesive teak veneer, and trimmed with teak edging. Used the old table as a template. Finished with Interlux Cetol. Photos attached...
20200414_111921.jpg20200414_111840.jpg20200414_111822.jpg