Major Refit Experiences

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 24, 2005
MacGregor Mac26D Richardson, TX; Dana Point, CA
I have a vintage 1980 37C now up on stands in the back yard. It's there for MAJOR refit between now and next Spring (summer?) It is a Katrina boat that the whole family is working on.... Are there others who have undertaken major backyard refits on a larger Hunter? Any suggestions....? First thing we did was build wooden stairs (independent) and a platform to the boat. There's a lot of work that needs doing... but you know... I like to do it. So do the kids (at least so far).... We will have get a new (used?) mast... new standing rigging, lifelines, sails... etc. Rudder is twisted almost in half and the transom fiberglass is cracked/shattered... lots of fun to repair - learning a lot about Fiberglass and Epoxy. Comments or suggestions appreciated.... --jerry FWIW: I was astonished that there were NO blisters - anywhere. The interior is in pretty good shape, too.

O

Okiman

Project Management 101

I just finished refurbishing/rebuilding a Hunter HC33 and launched "Tainui", after 14 months on the hard. Here are some lessons learned. 1. Before starting - take many digital photos of the entire boat, inside and out. Especially the engine and steering areaa. This will record where the hoses and wires went, not to mention how the wiring in the battery compartment went. 2. Expect the project to take 4-6 months longer than you think it will take, unless you are retired and can work full time on the boat. 3. Figure about 20% more in costs than you think it will take. 4. Have plenty of cheap plastic containers and zip lock bags, and label all the stuff with permanent marker. You will forget where you put stuff and things will get lost or misplaced causing you a lot of time to remember where it went. 5. Renovate from the inside out and save any outside sanding, painting, polishing until the inside is done. You will find yourself re0doing it all again if your project takes more than 6 months or you get sick or whatever, and the project just keeps dragging on. 6. Hopefully you have a work shed or barn on the property to set up a small work shop for your tools and all the crap you will accumulate during the project, i.e. paints, varnishes, and other hazmat stuff. 7. Start tearing up old T-shirts, towels or whatever, you will be needing more rags for this and that than you can imagine. 8. You haven't already, make friends with experienced sailors, their advice is cheap and two heads are better......... 9. Buy a good 3M respirator with organic and particulate filters. They are pricey, but a full face respirator is the best when working with paints and solvents inside. 10. Let everyone know where the fire extinguisher is and use common sense and good safety practices. 11. Buy a set of overalls, makes it easier to keep the dirt in the boat and not carry dust and dirt into the house. 12. If the mast is down, tent the boat if possible. These are just a few things that I expereinced and I hope this list helps you out. Good luck.

C

Carl

Rewire mast

Great advice from Okiman! One samll suggestion. Since you need a new mast, treat yourself to all new wiring inside the mast. When rewiring, use an extra heavy coaxial cable for the VHF radio. We replaced our cable when we had the mast down to install new standing rigging and now get much better radio performance. Good luck. It sounds exciting ... fun ... like an opportuntity to get the boat the way you want her ... and a lot of work.

Dec 2, 2003
- - Seabeck WA
One thing about budgets.

I didn't have one. The work got done and the equipment purchased when the cash came in. The computer says the project cost $66,000.00 or so, counting the $6,500.00 trucking fee from Florida after we brought the boat back to the States from the Caribbean.

Status
Not open for further replies.