Mainsheet travellers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 19, 2004
Island Packet IP 32 99 Forked River, NJ
Our current boat is a Morgan 28 Out-Island, which originally (I believe) came equipped with a boom-end traveller at the rear of the cockpit. I suppose in an effort to "clean up" the cockpit area, a previous owner made an 'A' frame arrangement forward of the cockpit and over the companionway hatch. This leaves alot to desire for effective mainsheet trimming, since it pulls down more than port/starboard, making it impossible to duplicate the instructions in your book! I've read up on this a bit, and it seems that something like the Harken 561 mainsheet traveller system with risers (to clear the hatch cover) would work much better than what I now have. The only thing I'm concerned about is that this will place the traveller at least halfway down on the length of the boom, instead of at the aft end where it was originally attached. Might this put undue strain on the boom (and possibly lead to boom failure)? Doesn't mid-boom sheeting allow a greater range of angle-of-attack adjustment? Jim s/v: the Merry Bee Ocean Gate, NJ

Alan

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 35.5 LI, NY
Jim, A mid boom traveler will certainly allow you the control that you are looking for. I would consider an end boom traveler and a solid vang. The big advantage of the end boom sheeting is that you get far greater trimming power over mid boom. Going to mid boom sheeting, however, will not damage your boom. As for angle of attack adjustment, both arrangements will give you the same control. End boom sheeting will require more liberal use of your solid vang, which I think is a very good thing.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
mid boom vs. end boom

Just want to add to Alan's comments. Mid boom sheeting will require a greater purchase rig than end boom. For instance, on my C27 an end boom system with 4:1 main sheet and 2:1 traveller is adequate. On the C27 mid boom set ups I've seen mainsheets are at least 6:1 and the traveller is atleast 4:1. Often a winch is need, also. Like Alan, I like the ease of control and adjustment that end boom sheeting provides. But if you don't regularly tweak your mainsheet/traveller, never single hand, and prefer the extra cockpit space then the mid boom layout might suit you more. In any event I don't see how either system affects the boom's angle of attack. What restricts the boom is the shrouds and the length of the mainsheet.

Status
Not open for further replies.