Mainsail tied with hank of clothsline !

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

John Averell

I just purchased my first Macgregor - 25' built 1980. First time up with the mainsail, and I noted that the sail was fastened at the foot (mast/boom joint ?) with a hank of clothsline. Sorry if I don't know the correct terms. And I don't see anything else on the mast or boom to which to fasten the lower corner grommet of the main. Having sailed lots of other boats this looks less than "shipshape". Can anyone tell me what's supposed to be there, and where I can get it ? Thanks John Averell (JAVERELL@WARWICK.NET)

D

Dave Schiller

Mainsail connection

John: I sail a 1984 Mac 25'. The main is connected to the boom in front (just before the boom track that holds the sail to the boom) with a 1/4" screw that goes through both sides of the boom and through the metal grommet of the sail. I do not know if this was done by my grandfather (whose boat it was) or whether it came that way from the manufacturer. Either way, it works just fine. Sounds better than clothesline. Hope this helps. Fair winds. Dave Schiller Mac 25' "Spirit" Cabin Point Creek (Potomac River), Virginia dschil3870@aol.com

D

Doug Rodrigues

Jury rigged "cunningham."

I've used three wrappings of 1/4 inch nylon rope on my mast to hold the foot of the sail. Works great. There is no fixture on my mast to attach it any other way.

Status
Not open for further replies.