mainsail outhaul

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shoe

Aug 10, 2005
Beneteau 321 San Diego
Board, It looks like this forum is just getting started but so am I as a new (to me) Sabre 38 Mk I owner. I have had the boat just three months and twice I have taken the mainsail off the boom and each time have had little success in releasing the tension on the outhaul. When I go to put the sail back on, I have to take my handy billie from the backstay and drag the sail out to get the pin in. This is after releasing the line at the front of the boom which appears to be the outhaul. Anyone having similar problems? Shoe

P

Pete

Outhaul

This seems to be a universal Sabre issue. The internal tackle in the boom uses small Schaefer blocks that are indestuctible, but high friction. As the line ages and stiffens, and the blocks collect crud,the outhaul becomes nearly impossible to release. I rebuilt my outhaul with Harken 40mm Carbo Air blocks and new line. It made a huge difference both in trimming and releasing. If you go to a loose footed main, the upgrade is essential. See Harken's outhaul diagrams on their website for examples.

Status
Not open for further replies.