Main sheet block/swivel/cam cleat

Nov 5, 2014
MacGregor 25 St Marks FL
Help please.

I need to replace the main sheet block, swivel cam cleat (there is probably a technical name for this assembly that I don't know) on the port aft of my Mac 25. I am unable to access the underside in order to place nuts and washers due to location. I doubt anyone has arms long or skinny enough to make that reach. The original was loose enough and unable to tighten that I was able to get a hack saw between the mounting base and the mounting surface to cut the bolts off. I know I don't want to use plain screws to reinstall since it is under considerable load at times. What are my options? Is there a type of expanding wall fastener that can be used here, or a threaded insert that can be installed that will hold up? Previous owner had moved main sheet control blocks up to the stern rail to get it above the Bimini Top that he installed. (and perhaps because the lower installation was shot. I would like to return it to the lower location.

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
You could install one of these inspection ports. I have one on the portside rear cockpit from a previous owner, and no complaints.

image.png

Jul 1, 2012
MacGregor 26D Kirkland, WA
Yep. I'll be putting those in my cockpit coamings so I can re-do the deck cleats back there.

Nov 5, 2014
MacGregor 25 St Marks FL
That's a great Idea. Thank you. That would sure beat trying to hire a diminutive contortionist to crawl in there.

Apr 19, 2012
O'Day Daysailor 17 Nevis MN
Yep. I'll be putting those in my cockpit coamings so I can re-do the deck cleats back there.
Doesn't your 26D have access to the deck cleats from inside? I can access all my cockpit hardware from either the lazarette or panels in the berth area.

Jun 24, 2010
Macgregor 25 Northeast, MD
When I bedded all the deck hardware on my 25 I removed all the foam and had to slide into the area on my back in under the cockpick to replaced the hardware. You need two people to do the job unless you install the deck plate.

Feb 5, 2010
MacGregor 25 Oroville, WA
oops. Anyway, I installed this coaming box. It gives good access to the rail hardware and the cockpit drain hose as well. I keep my air horn there as well as sunscreen etc.

Apr 19, 2012
O'Day Daysailor 17 Nevis MN
oops. Anyway, I installed this coaming box. It gives good access to the rail hardware and the cockpit drain hose as well. I keep my air horn there as well as sunscreen etc.
That's a great idea.

Jul 1, 2012
MacGregor 26D Kirkland, WA
Doesn't your 26D have access to the deck cleats from inside? I can access all my cockpit hardware from either the lazarette or panels in the berth area.
Naw. There's an access for the middle post of my cockpit railings, but then enclosed boxes where the cleats are.

woodzy

Sep 21, 2014
Catalina 28 Oceanside Ca..
I replaced mine and I cut out the divider out enough to get back there and made a new divider out of aluminum with stainless screws holding so if I have to get back there again

Piotr

Dec 6, 2010
MacGregor 25 Rock Hall, MD
I did it the hard way on my 25. All the styrofoam blocks came out, and in I went. You have to get in head first, turn around on your back, contort 90 degrees to port, slither under the cockpit, and voila! clear access to cleats and such on the port side. Coming out is a bit tougher. And if you are claustrophobic - forget it, Charlie! I'm 5'8' and 185 lbs, so its doable.

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
I placed a block in the location where the original mainsheet cam was, and added a low profile swivel cam under the tiller... so its easy access for the tillerman from either side of the boat, or a crew member farther forward in the cockpit..

and when the refit was underway, after I removed the floatation, my wife was the choosen one who got to crawl into the little space under the rear of the cockpit to do all the dirty work... we rebedded the cleats, taffrail, rudder gudgeons and the motor mount... so it can be done, you just have to find someone smallish and dare them they wont fit in that small of space, and then stand back and watch them prove you wrong....:biggrin::biggrin: but be all set up and ready to hand them wrenches and hardware, cuz they wont be wanting to wait around in there while you get your stuff together.

2013-05-26_18-47-02_868.jpg
2013-05-26_18-46-51_920.jpg
2013-05-26_18-07-58_977.jpg