Main Sail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 21, 2013
Macgregor 26M N Topsail Beach, NC
I have a new Macgregor 26M and have a problem getting the last foot or so up of the main sail. I cannot visually see any obstruction. I lowered the mast and examined everything. I have an automatic furler and got a training session at the factory before I bought the boat. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Fred

Sep 27, 2008
Catalina 28 mkii 745 Ottawa, Ontario, CA
Perhaps this is obvious, but, have you released the main sheet and boom vang before hauling up the main?

Feb 21, 2013
Macgregor 26M N Topsail Beach, NC
NO, I am an novice. I will realease the boom vang this weekend. I hope this works. Being ignorant is bad but not terrible if you realize it and take action. Thanks a million.

Yosi

Apr 22, 2012
Unsure Unsure Florida
Fred, why would the boom vang prevent raising the mainsail? (Not questioning your wisdom, just trying to understand as I have similar problem).

Oct 1, 2008
Macgregor 26S Lake Jordan
Fred, why would the boom vang prevent raising the mainsail? (Not questioning your wisdom, just trying to understand as I have similar problem).
Because it pulls the boom down. It is much easier to raise the sail if the boom is horizontal (or above). This (plus letting the main sheet out) was the trick for me to get the main all the way up with ease.

Yosi

Apr 22, 2012
Unsure Unsure Florida
Thanks. Will try it next time I'm on the water. Probably this Saturday. One more question, my mainsail came with a thin red rope running through the cars (that's what they are called?) to help in lowering the mainsail. However, I don't see any block or something to thread it at that foot of the mast. Any idea ?

Nov 19, 2011
MacGregor 26S Hampton, VA
I will tend to agree. On my frankenrig, if I lift up on the end of the boom just a little, I get an easier pull at the end

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
Thanks. Will try it next time I'm on the water. Probably this Saturday. One more question, my mainsail came with a thin red rope running through the cars (that's what they are called?) to help in lowering the mainsail. However, I don't see any block or something to thread it at that foot of the mast. Any idea ?
If it runs almost to the top along the luff, a downhaul, I think. It'll likely be one more thing to prevent a full hoist. :D

Your cars could also be called sail slugs or slides, possibly?

edit- Wait, you said a RED rope? :eek:

Nov 19, 2011
MacGregor 26S Hampton, VA
I was out yesterday for a great sail. I lowered my boom and all was good except the boom is really to close to my head. I looked up to see what my problem was with getting a full pull and sure enough, the jib halyard crossed under the main halyard preventing the top slug from going all the way up. I had about 6-7" of lift yet. I'll be sure to fix that before my next sail. I always put the jib up first so it's tight already when I go to raise the main.

Status
Not open for further replies.