Main and jib sheet sizes - H23.5/240/26/260

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Calgary, Canada
My used boat came with 7/16" main and jib sheets. I needed to replace them both with longer lines and got the same diameter. I'm thinking of downsizing them (next smaller size would be 3/8") for various reasons: Main: Lots of friction. I have to push the boom out in anything but heavy air. The upside is that with that much friction I can often sail with the main uncleated. Seems like a saftey feature in a way, but I'm thinking it's becoming tedious to have to push the boom out. Jib: 1) I have an option to buy a Forespar 6-12 ADJ-DL whisker pole but the end fittings are too small for my large jib sheets. 2) I suspect that the Spinlock PowerCleats on the jib sheets will work better with a smaller diameter. The large diameter changes the angle of the internal cam cleat. I think this may have contributed to breaking one last year. 3) Friction could become a problem in very light air as the jib sheets get older and fuzzier. What size lines do you all use? ...RickM...

B

Bill O'Donovan

Good idea

A lot of commentary here this summer about downsizing for ease of friction. Let us know the results so others can benefit.

F

Frank Ladd

I've done it

On My h23.5 all running rigging is 3/8's except for the jib sheets which are 5/16's and the drifter sheets which are 3/16's I like it a lot better!

Jun 2, 2004
Thanks, Frank

Good to know, thanks. I actually ordered 3/8" lines for the jib and mainsheet just last night. Hopefully I'll have them for the weekend. I figured for US$50 it's not that big a risk if it didn't turn out. Knowing that you like it better is encouraging. Bill - I'll certainly report back. ...RickM...

Jun 2, 2004
Haven't made changes yet

There was a delay finding 3/8" lines the colors that I wanted for jib and main sheets. Should have them this week and give them a try this weekend. ...RickM...

Status
Not open for further replies.