mail sail rigging questions

Aug 22, 2021
1992 mcgregor 26s san diego
I think I'm rigging my main sail wrong. 1. attach the boom. 2. slide the main sail up the mast 3. slide the main sail through the boom. 4. detach the boom from the mast rigging so it's held up by the main sail in the tracks(thanks were I think I'm wrong). If anyone has some pics or anything to help me figure it out I would greatly appreciate it.

20210822_162152.jpg

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Disconnect the pigtail. In your picture, that's the wire that's crimped on to the backstay holding up the end of the boom. The pigtail is ONLY for managing the boom when NOT sailing. Never sail with it attached. The boom needs to be able to swing outside the cockpit for downwind sailing. If your boat doesn't have a boom topping lift you may consider rigging one yourself. The topping lift holds the boom up but is tethered to the mast head, allowing the boom to swing side to side safely. It is common for boom topping lifts to be adjustable so the wire or rope doesn't interfere with the leech of the sail (back edge) when sailing. Google it.
Another observation. I see a metal loop on the boom about 1/3 back from the mast. This "bale" is for connecting the boom "vang" to the base of the mast. It's an important mast control device you'll want to have available. Vang's are often easily detachable with snap shackle connections, especially on boats with pop tops or those that are commonly trailered. Again... simple google search for "boom vang" will give you more than enough info. and pics. good luck, have fun.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Disconnect the pigtail.. then slide the mainsail foot onto the boom. (boom will be drooping onto the cabin top) .. Slide the mainsail up the mast and tighten the main halyard (that will pick up the boom) . leave the mainsheet loose so the boom can swing.. As Joe says, don't have the pigtail connected when the main is up..

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
If I understand your question, I would suggest rigging the main sail on the boom before raising it up the mast. This may be a deference without a distinction but that's the way I've always done it.
I also agree with the above posts about detaching the "Pig tail."