Maiden Voyage!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 15, 2011
Macgregor 26x Traverse City, MI
Hey everyone, Today was the Maiden Voyage of Knot Tied Down! It was 44 degrees and the lake was empty with a pretty decent wind at times. I have to say I am very impressed with the boat. I got the rigging all figured out and had my 2 best friends with me. One of my buddies was trying to pull the back of the boat towards the floating dock when we went to pick up our other friend...and the knot on the rope slipped...and backwards he went into the drink! so that definitly gave a new meaning to the name "knot tied down"! haha :)
Tomorrow I will be taking it up to Lake Michigan in Traverse City, and having a go sailing solo and spending the night on it! Anyone want to join?

Oct 18, 2011
Watkins 27 Port Charlotte, FL
It was 44 degrees and the lake was empty with a pretty decent wind at times... ...and having a go sailing solo and spending the night on it! Anyone want to join?
Wow. You "northerners" are tough!! :D

Oct 6, 2011
CM 32 USA
Welcome To The Mac World!

I also just struck a deal on a 2000 X, with a 8 HP engine. Wanna Race? :D

I pick mine up next week, but doubt I will put it in the water till next spring. Hopping for a slip.

As new people, we should stick together in case the Old Salts try to shiver our timbers. :naughty:

See ya around, interested in your impressions of my new boat!

Sep 26, 2010
Macgregor 1993 26S Houston
Hey everyone, Today was the Maiden Voyage of Knot Tied Down! It was 44 degrees and the lake was empty with a pretty decent wind at times. I have to say I am very impressed with the boat. I got the rigging all figured out and had my 2 best friends with me. One of my buddies was trying to pull the back of the boat towards the floating dock when we went to pick up our other friend...and the knot on the rope slipped...and backwards he went into the drink! so that definitly gave a new meaning to the name "knot tied down"! haha :)
Tomorrow I will be taking it up to Lake Michigan in Traverse City, and having a go sailing solo and spending the night on it! Anyone want to join?
I would join in a heartbeat, but your a little ways out of my neighborhood.
I've been eyeballing X's and M's too. I have an S, and while it sails great, I would like the extra cabin space. Good luck with your new ride, and have a good trip. Take pics!
Jim

Oct 15, 2011
Latest update: I got out on Lake Michigan for 2 nights and had a great time even enough it was pretty cold and wet. While I was heading out I went through a snow and rain storm! It was miserable and I loved every second of it! I got some amazing photos and can not wait until this spring when the boat makes it out again!
Getting it on and off the trailer by myself isn't bad, except when the keel sneaks down and gets stuck on the trailer as your trying to pull it off the trailer and can't figure out why its not moving :)

Its absolutely amazing to skim along in 6 feet of water and look at the beautiful bottom through turquoise water. Summer just isn't long enough here.
Here are some photos from my trip, hope you all enjoy!

ForumRunner_20111031_005237.jpg

ForumRunner_20111031_005453.jpg

ForumRunner_20111031_005520.png

ForumRunner_20111031_005714.jpg

Attachments

Oct 15, 2011
P.s I am curious how long does it take others to step the mast and rig everything up after having things stored for travel? After watching the macgregor video, and seeing it can "be done in ten minutes", and then actually doing it (and it taking nearly an hour) I am curious.

I found a little solution to getting the roller furler attached to the forestay easier...I took a bit of rope, looped it around the furler cup, then made a Foot loop on the lower end, stepped down on it, and brought the furler to the forestay using my body weight instead of struggling with one hand while the other tries to push the pin through to attach it. hope it helps someone who's struggled with this task!

Mar 24, 2011
Macgregor 26X Lake Murray
Awesome pic's!! Glad you had fun. When I helped a friend with his X, it took about 40 min. to set everything right. IMO who cares if its 40-120 min...get it right, make SURE your prepared correctly, everything as it should be. Then recheck your safety gear...just cuz. That ensures a fun and worry free day...again IMO.
Congrats on the boat...she's nice. :)

Kestle

Jun 12, 2011
MacGregor 25 San Pedro
Great shots!

A quick suggestion...in 44 degree weather, everyone needs life vests, auto inflates are ok, but when it cold we require all crew to have vests with a metal ring we can use to lift a hyperthermic/unconscious person back into the boat via halyard assistance.

Man overboard drills are a must. When it warms up, practice getting someone into your boat. It's a lot harder than it looks.

Also, if you sail solo, learn how to rig and use jack lines.

Best - Jeff

Oct 15, 2011
Kestle said:
Great shots!

A quick suggestion...in 44 degree weather, everyone needs life vests, auto inflates are ok, but when it cold we require all crew to have vests with a metal ring we can use to lift a hyperthermic/unconscious person back into the boat via halyard assistance.

Man overboard drills are a must. When it warms up, practice getting someone into your boat. It's a lot harder than it looks.

Also, if you sail solo, learn how to rig and use jack lines.

Best - Jeff
Thanks for the tips jeff! I sail solo mostly, but when its warm im sure I'll be able to find a willing volunteer to play MOB. Not sure what jack lines are, but will do a search on that. The boarding ladder is definitely skinny and would be hard to get up with the motor In the way and any waves for someone trying to get out of the water. Thanks again!

Kestle

Jun 12, 2011
MacGregor 25 San Pedro
Since you sail solo, look into always carrying a waterproof radio on your person. There's some good ones, and some even have a light on top. I also carry a Spot unit.

Jacklines run down the boat, and allow you to clip your chest harness to it, so that your head doesn't fall into the the water if you slip.

Jeff

Oct 15, 2011
Kestle said:
Since you sail solo, look into always carrying a waterproof radio on your person. There's some good ones, and some even have a light on top. I also carry a Spot unit.

Jacklines run down the boat, and allow you to clip your chest harness to it, so that your head doesn't fall into the the water if you slip.

Jeff
Waterproof radio is on the wish list for santa! As far as the spot unit, I did a good bit of research on one for when I was out hiking and camping by myself and didn't get really any good reviews. Too expensive, company isn't friendly/ customer service is crummy, but I'm never too far from land or out of cell range at this point in my sailing ventures.
jacklines sounds like a great idea, especially when I have to go put up or take down the main while on the water. I just need a life jacket that has the attachment points. So much to buy, so much to spend

Status
Not open for further replies.