MacGregor 26X where to mount Garmin transducer

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 1, 2010
macgregor 26X in my dreams
Finally got our 26X !
Have just got my Garmin 421s Chartplotter.
Question ?
Where is the best location to mount the transducer for shoot thru hull installation?
Garmin instructions say you can mount the transom mount transducer for shoot thru hull installation where there is no turbulence (clean water) and where the hull is composed of solid fiberglass no thicker than 5/8" (with no fillers, bubbles or dead air spaces).
Any advice based on your experience would be appreciated.
Thanks fellow Mac owners.
John

Oct 18, 2007
Macgregor 26S Lucama, NC
John, I would think that the ideal place would be as close to the center as you can get without going through the ballast tank, and as far forward as you can get and still stay in the water. I mounted my Hummingbird under the port settee just aft of the vberth in my 26S. You might try using a wax toilet bowl seal to mount it on a trial basis to be sure its going to work okay. Mine is still sitting in the wax, working fine after a year and a half. -Paul

May 1, 2010
macgregor 26X in my dreams
Hi Paul:
Thanks for your input. The wax is a great idea.
I trialed a location under the seat aft of cabin table right beside the swing keel cavity and inspite of all the naysayers, it worked very well. I actually placed the transducer in a bag of water and then dropped some extra water bottles on it to hold it to prove out the location.
Will install it proper tomorrow.
Thanks again.
John

Status
Not open for further replies.