Macgregor 26 or Hunter 260 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 15, 2005
- - UK
Anyone able to offer advice on whether I should buy Macgregor or Hunter 26ft? Any advice much appreciated.

Jun 15, 2004
- - Edmond, OK
The difference is How, not What

I looked at both before going with the Hunter. When you look at the spec sheets, both have similar amenities and features (with the exception of the MacGregor's higher horsepower rating and motorboat performance). Side-by-side, the Hunter screams quality. Better trim, higher quality fittings, and overall a boat that welcomes you and you can enjoy even while it is parked in the marina or at anchor. After crawling out and off the MacGregor, I had the feeling that there were too many corners cut for the sake of cost and I wouldn't be happy long-term. The Hunter cost more, but I think I got more bang per buck for what I was wanting (I was not wanting a sailboat that could run like a motor boat).

MikeH

Jan 7, 2004
Hunter 260 Perrysburg, OH
What kind of boat are you looking for?

Tom, I looked at both the Mac and the Hunter for over a year - checking specs, looking at prices, even sailing an older Mac 26X and a Hunter 26 when I had the chance. While this may be sacrilege to some, I found both boats very well made. The newer Mac 26M, with it's up and down-raising centerboard was very interesting to me - but because I sail in shoal areas I wanted a centerboard/moveable-keel that would kick-up a bit if I hit bottom. I thought the Mac layout was more organized with a bit better access forward - the 26/260's table is more of a blockage to me. The ability to power the Mac up to 50HP was interesting, too. However - my purpose in chooosing a shallow-water-capable, mid-size sailboat was so that I could not only sail it with my young family (or single-hand it), but to be semi-competitive speed-wise in our local club races (meaning: I didn't want the weight of a big motor, and I wanted a sleeker-looking hull shape). I'm very happy with my 260, but if I were not interested in racing occasionally and if I wanted the option of being able to get from here-to-there quickly I'd probably choose the MacGregor. Just my opinion - happy choosing! MikeH

D

Denis

Depends what you want to do with it

Tom, It really depends on what you are going to do with the boat. I looked at the MacGregor also at first because of the price and the ability to maybe water ski and such. At the end sailing is what I really needed the boat for so the Hunter was a better choice. The Mac is good at what it does, but what it does is comprimise, so in the end you have a boat that is not a great sailing vessel nor a great power boat. As Mike mentioned the amenities of the Hunter are much better and it has a lot more room in the cabin and in the cockpit than the Mac, but it is a lot more expensive. After sailing around some Macs in the last two years, I have not regreted my decision to go with the Hunter.

Jun 4, 2004
- - Macon Ga
I have had both...

There is no question that the 260 is a much better SAILBOAT and has much higher production values than the 26X. If I lived on the east coast of FL and wanted to go to the Bahamas I might prefer the 26X because of its ability to get there and back quickly, but if your interest is sailing there is no comparison. The only other advantage I can think of for the 26X is that it trailers more easily thought the stock trailer is a piece of junk.

Aug 11, 2006
Hunter H260 Traverse City
H260 or Mc 26X

I tried to do a comparison of these two boats using available data and looking closely at each one. Actually the numbers for the Mac are pretty good, but after sailing one, I went with Hunter. The results of my analysis are at the specs link here: http://kobernus.com/hunter260_web/index.html

Jun 2, 2004
- - Portland, Oregon
We had a MacGregor 26X

and we had loads of fun on it. If you have young children, which we did at the time, they love being pulled around on water toys. We never found it powerful enough for waterskiing when it was fully loaded. We had loads of great sailing time on it as well. It trailers easily and unlike one other comment, we didn't find our trailer cheesy. It worked great. But as everyone else has stated, it really has to do with how you want to use it. If you are new to sailing, the MacGreagor is a great way to start. And no matter what boat you get, there is always something that will sail better. When we wanted to move up to just a sailboat, we went with a Hunter 356. Really love that boat.

Jun 4, 2004
- - Macon Ga
Re: The Trailer

My comment on the stock trailer for the Mac 26X comes from a time when I had to pull it 30 miles without the boat. It nearly beat me to death. My entire pickup was jumping up and down so badly I had trouble keeping control. The trailer does fine pulling the boat but without it you are in trouble.

May 27, 2004
- - Boston
Balance the tires

to smooth out the ride and reduce rattling the boat from vibration when on the trailer. Fair winds, Tom

Jun 15, 2004
- - Edmond, OK
Typical of empty trailers

Suspect it is not the tire balance, but the fact that without a boat on it, the trailer has almost no tongue weight relative to the weight of the entire trailer. With no tongue weight, the shocks on the tow vehicle can't dampen the bounce when you run over a bump or crack in the pavement. The trailer for the Hunter 260 does the same thing when empty. A bit annoying, but not dangerous as far as I can tell.

Jun 4, 2004
- - Macon Ga
Not to anything like this...

The 260 trailer may bounce when empty but not anything like the 26X's trailer. We had pvc pipe on the guide arms and before we had left the parking lot the pvc pipes had walked their way off. That was the worst trip I ever made... I do not believe the trailer had adaquate cross frame support.

B

Brian

Hunter has much more cabin room

I had originally planned to get a MacGregor. I had looked at them for a couple of years as a replacement for my Catalina 22. The MacGregor basically reminded me of a slightly bigger version of my Catalina. It had the same basic layout. Once I stepped into an H260 though I was sold. The Hunter felt like a whole different class of boat. The wider beam made all the difference in the world. Try going into the cabin of both and pretend you are using it with whatever number of people you usually sail with. Try out the bunks, the table, the galley, the head, etc. After doing that there was no comparison for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.