Macgregor 25 liveaboard?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 7, 2010
Precision Precision 18 Lake Geneva, WI
Anyone here ever lived aboard a 25 (X or M) - or know anyone who has? I'm considering getting a 25M for a mini-circumnavigation (Chicago to Chicago via the rivers to the intercoastal to the NY canals to the Great Lakes and back to Chicago).

I often spend 3-5 weeks each summer living in my tent as I travel on my motorcycle. The accommodations on the 25M look pretty luxurious in comparison. Seems like the biggest difference would be solar showers (and the need to keep about 20 gallons of fresh water aboard - three 5 gallon jerry cans?) vs. the nice hot showers at campgrounds.

I e-mailed the manufacturer; they said a 25hp motor should do fine since I don't desire to travel faster than hull speed.

It would just be me and my 10 lb. dog (who's made 2 trips from Chicago to Oregon on the back of the motorcycle).

The interior of the 25 seems remarkably similar (in a very spartan sense) to what's on a lot of 25-35' sailboats - aft berth, dinette/settee, head, v-berth.

Any experiences, insights or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
What you are interested in doing is called the 'great loop'.......

http://www.greatloop.com/

We have been out on our 26S for a month and have longer voyages planned for this year. It is larger than the 25, but smaller than the M and less expensive. If you haven't already I would go look in person at a 25, a 26 S or D (and would recommend the S for what you want to do) and a X and a M.

We have done a lot of mods on our Mac to turn it into a more comfortable long distance cruiser (see the link below). Others have done the same. Check out the longer voyages of some on here...........

http://www.ne-ts.com/forum/

...........and these guys have been out for extended trips, Mike and Sandy Cecka (down in the trip section of the following link)........

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/macgregor/macgregor-links-1.html

In fact check out the links page below also for others under the trip section.

Good luck and let us know what you do,

Sum

Our Trips to Lake Powell, UT - Kootenay Lake, Canada - Priest Lake, ID

Our Mac Pages

Mac Links

derfus

Oct 26, 2009
Oday Oday 28, Mac-25 Presque Isle Marina, Erie, PA
I was wondering where other people sleep on there M-25. I'm too tall to lay down in the V-birth up front and end up with the table down and a air mattress. How do you do it?

Sep 25, 2008
Macgregor 26X Beaver Lake NW Arkansans
Mac 25 liveaboard

I have taken my Mac 25 down the Arkansas River for three to four days at a time. This is with two other people. Works fine. By the way it's for sale. I went with a Mac 26X. It does have more head room without the poptop. The Mac 25 I have has the canvas cover when the top is up.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
I was wondering where other people sleep on there M-25. I'm too tall to lay down in the V-birth up front and end up with the table down and a air mattress. How do you do it?
Maybe you can do something like we did and move the............

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/macgregor/inside-1.html

............head and enlarge.......................

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/macgregor/inside-5.html

..........the V-berth.

We love it like this,

Sum

Our Mac Pages

Mac Links

Jun 3, 2004
Macgregor 25 So. Cal.
I just fit in the vbirth at 5'9".

If I was taller I would consider a 8" extension that would attach with slip hinges that would allow it to swing up vertical and latch clearing the head during the day or even be compleatly removed.

A simple board used as a swing leg should allow enuff support and with the extension folded up would take up verry little room.

My pefered place to sleep is the cockpit.

Feb 7, 2010
Precision Precision 18 Lake Geneva, WI
Thanks for input and links. Of course I meant the 26; I should be more careful when composing posts after my bedtime!

Jeff Wolf

Jun 28, 2010
MacGregor 25 Carter Lake, Loveland, CO
MacGregor 25M

Think you meant a 26s/m/x

There are no 25's named that
It sure would appear to me that there is a MacGregor 25M since I have one sitting in my driveway. As far as liveaboard, I would think with a good stove and some type of sink or basin it would be as good a shelter as many pickup truck campers. Replacing or making sure the pop-up bimini has a functional skirting/netting -- whatever that piece of equipment is called would be a plus.

Jun 3, 2004
Macgregor 25 So. Cal.
Pictures please :)

It sure would appear to me that there is a MacGregor 25M since I have one sitting in my driveway. As far as liveaboard, I would think with a good stove and some type of sink or basin it would be as good a shelter as many pickup truck campers. Replacing or making sure the pop-up bimini has a functional skirting/netting -- whatever that piece of equipment is called would be a plus.

Oct 18, 2007
Macgregor 26S Lucama, NC
There seems to be some confusion in the different models of 25 and 26 foot MacGregors. The 25 models and smaller have metal ballasted swing keels. 26 models are all water ballast; the S and X models have centerboards and the D and M models have daggerboards. The first post in this forum will offer more detail. Also under "Boat Info" on the top menu of this forum, you can get much more detailed info on each model. Basically, if it has water ballast, it is either a 26 or 19, and cannot be a 25. -Paul

Jun 28, 2010
MacGregor 25 Carter Lake, Loveland, CO
Give me a few days and I'll post a couple of photos. I'm on my computer that doesn't have the photos downloaded.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
I think the confusion is that some people put the "M" for MacGregor after the length designation and there wouldn't be a problem if Macgregor didn't also have the current model, the Macgregor "M" that uses the "M" as a designation for the model.

Not sure why they used the "M" when "X" was before it. Maybe they do mean to have it signify "Macgregor".

Then there is the confusion over the 26C that doesn't represent any 26 model and was never a model designation..............

c ya,

Sum

Our Mac Pages

Mac Links

Jun 3, 2004
Macgregor 25 So. Cal.
If you look at the interiors the 26 foot water balasted boats do not have the cafe booth style seating around the table.

Jun 8, 2004
Macgregor 26M Delta, B.C. Canada 26M not X
Big differnce beween a boat and a motorcycle.

Anyone here ever lived aboard a 25 (X or M) - or know anyone who has? I'm considering getting a 25M for a mini-circumnavigation (Chicago to Chicago via the rivers to the intercoastal to the NY canals to the Great Lakes and back to Chicago).

I often spend 3-5 weeks each summer living in my tent as I travel on my motorcycle. The accommodations on the 25M look pretty luxurious in comparison. Seems like the biggest difference would be solar showers (and the need to keep about 20 gallons of fresh water aboard - three 5 gallon jerry cans?) vs. the nice hot showers at campgrounds.

Any experiences, insights or opinions would be greatly appreciated.
Actually the difference from your motorcycle living is much more than you think. On a motorcycle you are free to stop at a moments notice and dismount to walk, explore, stretch your legs or make a purchase at the store or be served at the restaurant. Even though you may sleep in the tent you still have the option of just getting up and walking off to where ever you like.
On a small Mac you are confined to the space of the boat and are not free to just step off and walk across the water. You are basically marooned, a temporary castaway imprisoned on a small boat that continues to shrink by the day. Spending countless days in such tight quarters could induce a form of cabin fever and test your mettle to the limits. I highly dislike anchoring for this very reason, I cannot stand being held hostage while I look across the bay and see the freedom of movement I am being denied. I stay at marinas most of the time so that I can just hop off the boat and wander at will, just like on the motorcycle. (I used to ride a 650 Kawasaki). Some folks are OK being held to the confines of a small boat and some are not. The Mac may be more luxurious than a tent but it is also more confining. My wife & I can last about 4 nights and 5 days on our trips (staying at marinas) and then we need to be back home to spread out a bit, so to speak. It would take a pretty big boat before I could ever live aboard.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
........ You are basically marooned, a temporary castaway imprisoned on a small boat that continues to shrink by the day. Spending countless days in such tight quarters could induce a form of cabin fever and test your mettle to the limits. ............... Some folks are OK being held to the confines of a small boat and some are not............d.
Yep, everyone is different and you need to do what you are comfortable with. We wouldn't want to live aboard full time, but so far we have always wished we could of been out longer. For some reason the boat actually seems to get larger after we have been out a while. We have always had some place we had to be on a certain date, except at Lake Powell, that has put an end to our trip. When we go back to Florida in April we don't, so I guess we will see how long we can make it before either the heat/humidity or being on the boat drives us back to land.

We also love the solitude of being on anchor. Spent one night tied to a dock and didn't like it at all.

The great thing about this is that we can have different needs and the boat and the way we use it can adapt to what each of us likes to do. I think one thing we have learned is if you try to make your life on a small boat resemble your life living in a house....space, heat, the way you eat and cook and clean yourself you won't be successful or happy. To spend much time on a small boat you need to rethink most things and that isn't necessarily bad.

c ya,

Sum

Our Mac Pages

Mac Links

May 4, 2005
Macgregor 26d Ft Lauderdale, Fl
For the great loop I think the macgregor powersailor models: X or M would be best choices.

X I think is for crossover, a sailboat you can waterski behind.

a 25hp would be a good choice too, better on gas, and doubt you'd get on a plane often. or sail.

I think there's 2 layouts for the X, and the M is the latest model.

whats your budget?

Feb 5, 2011
Macgregor 25.5 S Silver harbor
I think that the macs are sort of fragile, and more geared toward being easy to tow. To me, the moulded fiberglass doesn't seem to homey. I would prefer a Catalina or something along the lines of that. Just my opinion. Cheers, and good luck!

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
I think that the macs are sort of fragile, and more geared toward being easy to tow. To me, the moulded fiberglass doesn't seem to homey. I would prefer a Catalina or something along the lines of that. Just my opinion. Cheers, and good luck!
Welcome to the board and curious about your boat, "Macgregor 25.5 S" . Is it a 25 or 26S?

There is no limit to how much wood that you could add below.

Before.....

and after.....

Some of the boats I see to me have too much wood and are too dark down below. I like some white down below to lighten things up, but you hit it on the head when you said "Just my opinion", because the above is "just my opinion" :).

As far as fragile, we aren't worried ourselves in that department. They will handle more than we are capable of giving them ;)......

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/MacgregorTrips-3-Powell09/09-10-9-Powell-09.html

c ya,

Sum

Our Trips to Utah, Idaho, Canada, Florida

Our MacGregor S Pages

Mac-Venture Links

Feb 5, 2011
Macgregor 25.5 S Silver harbor
I've just been shown up. Ok mine a 26s. and are those wood panels homemade or aftermarket? Those pictures shut me up! Well now I know not to be so ignorant. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.